Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Urgent: Need to order kow C/R piston for DEk...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Urgent: Need to order low C/R piston for DEk...

Hey guys, as some of you are aware my VQ30DEK engine is getting build at this time, but the shop technician called me today to tell me the Arias Piston, have a smaller wrist pin than the stocker therefore it's a no match with the stock VQ30DEk rods, so now I need to order custom .020mm oversized low C/R for my build, I want 8.5:1

Does anyone knows a reputable company I can order those from ?

I'm in a situation where I dont have time to search and need an answer asap.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited by doublea; 01-24-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 PM

How much boost do you plan to run? I wouldnt do low compression unless you are planning major boost. I am planning either stock 9.8:1 or maybe 10.5 . I will not do a low compression build myself.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
How much boost do you plan to run? I wouldnt do low compression unless you are planning major boost. I am planning either stock 9.8:1 or maybe 10.5 . I will not do a low compression build myself.
My engine is being putting together by a very reputable local shop, basically I'm going to run a V2 T trim.

I am not a racer, so I'm not yet decide if I'll have the custom piston made to 8.5:1 or 9.5:1 apparently the 9.5:1 C/R would be better for a street machine as the 8.5:1 would be ideal for a boosted track car.

The stock VQ30DEK has 10.0:1 C/R piston. The Arias piston that I bought from an org member were supposed to be a direct fit but it's not and now I have no choice than having custom piston made for me.

A+

AA
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
My engine is being putting together by a very reputable local shop, basically I'm going to run a V2 T trim.

I am not a racer, so I'm not yet decide if I'll have the custom piston made to 8.5:1 or 9.5:1 apparently the 9.5:1 C/R would be better for a street machine as the 8.5:1 would be ideal for a boosted track car.

The stock VQ30DEK has 10.0:1 C/R piston. The Arias piston that I bought from an org member were supposed to be a direct fit but it's not and now I have no choice than having custom piston made for me.

A+

AA
You will hate your self if you get 8.5's. They are dogs off boost.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM

get the vq30det pistons they are 9:1 cr and they should be a direct fit. i think jim wolf technology sells them. www.jimwolftechnology.com
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM

The shop who's putting my engine together has confirmed me that there is a clearance of .007 with stock size piston, the ideal be .003 -.0045

Knowing that my block need to be sleeved or machined if I keep stock size piston, my best choice is to buy custom .020 oversize piston, this way I can get away with only machining the block to get the ideal tolerance between the engine cylinder wall and the piston. Machining the engine block to match the piston cost like 200$ or less on the opposite sleeving the engine is about 1300$ CDN + the piston cost.

Later this pm, I spoke with Nick Arias the 3rd if that name ring bells to you, basically they going to custom fabricate me a set of .020 oversize piston with either 8.5:1 or 9.5:1 C/R for 992$ that come with high perf. ring, lock & wrist pin that will match the VQ30DEK stock rod.

Like few have suggested I'm now leaning toward the 9.5:1 C/R along with the V2T trim that should make some good numbers.

Delivery time frame is 4 weeks, wich is not bad at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
No turbo, no care!

8.5:1 is a large drop from 10:1 and will result in a very weak low end/off boost situation. Since you are having pistons made for forced induction, they will be dished with larger ring lands so even if they are 10:1 you should have no problem at all with less than 500hp. 9.5:1 is as low as I would recomend for the DEK UNLESS you want a super high boost dedicated drag car that wont see street use.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
8.5:1 is a large drop from 10:1 and will result in a very weak low end/off boost situation. Since you are having pistons made for forced induction, they will be dished with larger ring lands so even if they are 10:1 you should have no problem at all with less than 500hp. 9.5:1 is as low as I would recomend for the DEK UNLESS you want a super high boost dedicated drag car that wont see street use.
Good advice, I am now convinced to go with 9.5:1 as I said before I'm not a racer but I may track the car sometime, this car is my summer car so to speak.

A+

AA
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 AM

Hey guys, after debating a lot and talk with too many peps, my technician & I agree to order 8.5:1 C/R pistons. This car is being specifically build to run on boost, so if I ever have to remove the blower for maintenance or anything like that then the car is going to stay in the garage until everything is fixed.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With a blower you should run all the compression you can. You can't just turn up the boost at the flick of a switch to compensate for the compression loss. I don't really see the benefit of a c/r that low with your setup. You'd just be losing out on power.

That plus the VQ30's have relatively compact and efficient combustion chambers so an extremely low C/R isn't necessary to keep detonation at bay.

Last edited by nismology; 12-29-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
With a blower you should run all the compression you can. You can't just turn up the boost at the flick of a switch to compensate for the compression loss. I don't really see the benefit of a c/r that low with your setup. You'd just be losing out on power.

That plus the VQ30's have relatively compact and efficient combustion chambers so an extremely low C/R isn't necessary to keep detonation at bay.

I hope you are having nice holidays.

The shop tech has faxed the 8.5:1 spec to my office this pm, but the order is not done at this point so nothing is finale. nismology I cant ignore what you and many other people are telling me, to get 9.5:1 C/R pistons. I've been thinking about it all day before answering you back, you guys are making me change my mind again... the way I look at it is that I'm not building a race car and I dont street race, so 9.5:1 C/R pistons will be best suited for my goals. I'll call the shop tech in the morning and have them adjusting the spec so we can order the 9.5:1 asap.

Thank you guys, I appreciate all the input and challenge this bring to me.

AA
Old 12-31-2008, 07:08 AM

I just got off the phone with Enrico the shop foreman and he's changing the calculation so I can order the 9.5:1 C/R pistons today.

Special thanks to: Nismology,Kzoosho and maxpwer for their good advice and perseveration to convince me to make thing right.

A+
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Finally the custom pistons has been ordered earlier this week, I finally ordered 9.25:1 C/R. The reason I ordered this specific C/R is because my deck was shaved by.005 and this will give me a final C/R of 9.5:1

I will get the pistons in 4 weeks and then the final engine assembly should be complete within few days, I hope to have the engine in the car early march, again my goals is to have the max on back on the roads in the beginning of may.

Again thanks to all for your inputs, it is much appreciate.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM

Sounds like a nice build your doing here..... DEK RULES
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ghase
Sounds like a nice build your doing here..... DEK RULES

Hey Ghase, oh ya, I cant wait to drive da beast... see the thread about my build:http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...n-project.html

I wish I'd be your neighbor these days, it's going to be freakin cold in the next few hours like -30 Celsius... I hate that weather. I'm actually checking to book a week of vacation in Jamaica with the family, probably around march-april.