Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

How to start up a new turbo setup???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:14 PM

How to start up a new turbo setup???

Hey guys,

Tomorrow I'm FINALLY getting my downpipe finished and starting to mock everything up. I'm not going to get her running for a while but I need to know how I should initially start the car.

1) I have a vafcii installed w/ a lc1 but also have emanage blue sitting at home. Is it safe for low boost to use the vafcii?

2) I'm not looking for that much power (at least at first), what boost level should I start at? Like 5-7psi???

3) Should I somehow prime the turbo with oil before startup?

4) I have an HX35, can someone help me with oil lines? I'm kind of confused on how much pressure is required and I believe stock pressure is too high for the turbo's seals. I think streetz reduced the pressure using inline no2 jets. What kind of restrictor, if any, is required?

Thanks all!

~DF
Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
KH3 by popular demand

1) I would just install the emanage because you may want some timing control later.

2) Everybody says low boost at first . As far as boost pressure, can't really say, make sure your wideband is not reading lean under boost.

3) You can put some oil in the turbo before you crank it, I pulled my fuel pump fuse prior to install and cranked it a few time to get the oil in there.

4)You need a restrictor if it smokes under boost or you notice it blowing oil past the seals. Stealthmode performance.com sells a restrictor, someother places too.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8D Thanks a ton!

Ohh and one more quick question....I have 440's that I got used years ago and I wasn't planning on installing these right away. <-- I hope that's safe. I should get these flow tested right? Deacshworks (sp?) is what I've seen some members use, are there better alternatives?

Guess that's two questions, but yeah. I'll be posting pics as soon as this gets started. All I should have to get now are the oil lines (once everything's welded that is)!!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM

Whats up. You should get the oil from the filter location, such as using a sandwhich plate. I used a 4an line, you can start with a .053 restrictor and work your way down if you have smoke. You can put a few drops of oil into the inlet and spin the turbo by hand. Or do what was suggested above. I recommend installing the Emanage now, your going to end up installing it anyway once you up the boost, AND YOU WILL lol.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 PM

Wow guys thanks for the great advice!!

I have the sandwich plate so I'm straight with that. Where should I have the drain go? Is there an easier place to put it than tapping the oil pan?

Hmm was looking at stuff tonight and I guess I have to lose my fog lights. This saddens me deeply.

Lawlz I think I got this emanage from you streetz like a year or so ago.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 PM

really? lol, i forgot about that. That means it shouldnt be to hard to get it up and runing, setting wise. as for drain, its always best to drop the oil right above the oil level. Some have done it to the lower oil pan, which I dont like.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 PM

dont really know why you would have to lose your fogs. if youre taking ic wise plenty of us have kept them
Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 AM

I had mocked up the pipes and it didn't look like they'd be able to stay....

Hmm I'm a 5th gen and I have "straight-through" intercooler with a port on each end. This would mean the piping would run to where the windshield washer bottle is on one side and the same thing on the other end.

Can any 5th genners post pics if they kept their fogs? I really would like to keep these!! 8D

Thanks for all the great replies guys!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
KH3 by popular demand

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...-mounts-2.html
See post #32, you could possibly do that.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Gotta tap the oil pan above the oil level for the drain, no easier way that's safe. I've seen return fittings that go into the drain plug for simplicity, but that's not the right way to do it.

Since you aren't sure about the quality of your injectors, i'd suggest doing your initial start-up on known good injectors, but i'd switch them out as soon as possible. No sense running into the limit of the stock injectors when you have bigger ones ready to go. Same with the e-manage, you have it, why not use it?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...-mounts-2.html
See post #32, you could possibly do that.
Well I'm going to need to do this in a cheap way if possible. And plus when it comes to fogs vs boost.... lol
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM

^^
Is this the pan (the aluminum one)that I'd have to tap? Seems a little scary to take off esp because my lower steel oil pan screws are RUSTED

This is of course assuming that I'd have to take it off...

Last edited by dfownz; 08-31-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM

What kind of turbo piping setup do you have going on? Did you make it yourself?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
What kind of turbo piping setup do you have going on? Did you make it yourself?
Hey man, Kzooshoo made my stuff but I have to get the very end of the downpipe finished up.

As for all the IC piping that's just an ebay intercooler/pipe package.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You should get the lower oil pan bolts taken cared of, it would be easier since you wouldn't have to remove the upper oil pan, just remove the lower so the metal shavings can fall out.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Turbo 3.5

you can cut a hole in the rad support and run the ic pipes there to aviod losing the foglights and I would just tap the lower pan. There is a local member who has been driving this way for a few years with no problems

I have been driving around with my lower pan taped since March with no drainage problems either
Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dfownz
Well I'm going to need to do this in a cheap way if possible. And plus when it comes to fogs vs boost.... lol
I have a turbo 5.5 gen and the intercooler piping is run in such a way that I was able to keep my fogs. It does require some cutting of the radiator support. I need to pull the bumper off the car this weekend and I can snap some pictures if you would like?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
I have a turbo 5.5 gen and the intercooler piping is run in such a way that I was able to keep my fogs. It does require some cutting of the radiator support. I need to pull the bumper off the car this weekend and I can snap some pictures if you would like?
Yea man that would be sooo awesome!!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
You should get the lower oil pan bolts taken cared of, it would be easier since you wouldn't have to remove the upper oil pan, just remove the lower so the metal shavings can fall out.
Is this the way that you did it? I was assuming that I wouldn't have enough room to drill and tap a hole. Also I think I'll be able to get the bolts out with enough soaking, I'd just s#!t a brick if I snapped one of those bad boys. Would that mean drilling out or could one be overlooked?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:26 AM

I had mocked up the pipes and it didn't look like they'd be able to stay....

Hmm I'm a 5th gen and I have "straight-through" intercooler with a port on each end. This would mean the piping would run to where the windshield washer bottle is on one side and the same thing on the other end.

Can any 5th genners post pics if they kept their fogs? I really would like to keep these!! 8D

Thanks for all the great replies guys!
When I installed the IC on my 5th gen, I had to remove the fog and the windshield washer bottle. The other way is to cut a whole in the frame so the piping can pass thru. If you cut a whole in the frame I suggest that you weld a 3" 1/2 diameter pipe in the whole you have to cut this will add strength to the frame. I have already figured out how to do it and I might actually change my set-up and go that way since I wouldn't loose the fog and have a stock look.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Yea man that would be sooo awesome!!!!!
Here are pictures of how I ran the piping

Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Wow thanks man!!!

Hmm I'm starting to wonder if paying to have all of this done is worth it....maybe I should just buy a welder. What would I need to cut through the frame? A torch?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM

i just used a three inch hole saw bit and a drill make sure u put some rubber over the fresh cuts it will eat rite through the aluminum i think goig thru the frame made my piping easier but im a 4th gen
Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Been doing some research on welders today and I found some really cheap ones. They're the shielded wire fed mig welders. Sears and harborfreight have them for like 100 bucks. When looking up reviews for these products one of the only concerns I have burn through. These cheaper welders only have a low and high setting and thus can easily burn through materials.

Have any of you guys used these welders for exhaust work? I won't be using super thin ss and will just have reg steel mandrel bends to weld together. Also, think I'll be able to weld in a flex joint? Generally they're not too thin but not the thickest either.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Hella internets

Been doing some research on welders today and I found some really cheap ones. They're the shielded wire fed mig welders. Sears and harborfreight have them for like 100 bucks. When looking up reviews for these products one of the only concerns I have burn through. These cheaper welders only have a low and high setting and thus can easily burn through materials.

Have any of you guys used these welders for exhaust work? I won't be using super thin ss and will just have reg steel mandrel bends to weld together. Also, think I'll be able to weld in a flex joint? Generally they're not too thin but not the thickest either.
I would definately stay away from a cheap welder. Stick to name brands and get something that will last you a while. I would stick with Lincoln as my first choice.

As for welding with Flux, IT SUCKS. I know its easy to just tell someone to upgrade to gas instead but if you can, do it! Or skip it and find a gas MIG welder that you can use/borrow.

Other than flux being difficult to weld with, it looks like absolute garbage too...be prepared to do alot of grinding lol...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Dont cheap out. I got my welder for 400 new from flea bay. Its a Hobart which is made by miller.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Damn now my alternators gone! Well I'll have to wait then to get something decent. I was looking at some arc welders (lincoln) that are selling for super cheap, tho I think stick welding would be hard for exhaust work.

No need to rush lol I've been trying to get into forced induction for like 5 years now...
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Hella internets

Overall mig is the way to go for pretty much anything u would want to
do on a car...there are limitations but mig is what u want...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 AM

Damn now my alternators gone! Well I'll have to wait then to get something decent. I was looking at some arc welders (lincoln) that are selling for super cheap, tho I think stick welding would be hard for exhaust work.

No need to rush lol I've been trying to get into forced induction for like 5 years now...
Do you have your battery relocated to the trunk? If so, it might not be your alternator. I had a similar issue right after I got the turbo setup up and running and it turned out to be a fuse.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Yeah it is in the trunk. I hope its the alternator lol because there was a whine that had developed two days before failure....better be that and nothing else!!

Interesting tho, I'll have to check the fuses. My car was acting super strange: whine started -> cd player flickered on and off mad times super fast -> 5 min -> headlights go out while driving!! -> 10 sec -> car dies while driving

Also, once dead I parked and could still beat music and have headlights on. Not enough to turn over the engine though. Got jumped and turned on but it was quickly losing voltage.

Last edited by dfownz; 09-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Hey.. long time no talk. I got a track day meet going on on October 6th. Check out the North East threads and you'll see my track day thread. You HAVE to be there, racing or not, i wanna see your serious setup!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 AM

Yeah it is in the trunk. I hope its the alternator lol because there was a whine that had developed two days before failure....better be that and nothing else!!

Interesting tho, I'll have to check the fuses. My car was acting super strange: whine started -> cd player flickered on and off mad times super fast -> 5 min -> headlights go out while driving!! -> 10 sec -> car dies while driving

Also, once dead I parked and could still beat music and have headlights on. Not enough to turn over the engine though. Got jumped and turned on but it was quickly losing voltage.
Mine was very similar. Car died in a parking lot two miles away from home so I walked home and got my other car. Had to jump the car 5 times just to get it home. Hope you get everything taken care of.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
Hey.. long time no talk. I got a track day meet going on on October 6th. Check out the North East threads and you'll see my track day thread. You HAVE to be there, racing or not, i wanna see your serious setup!
Well now my car doesn't even start so probably not. Tearin up the roads in a Corolla!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
Mine was very similar. Car died in a parking lot two miles away from home so I walked home and got my other car. Had to jump the car 5 times just to get it home. Hope you get everything taken care of.
Are you referring to replacing your alternator or the previously mentioned fuse issue?!?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 AM

Are you referring to replacing your alternator or the previously mentioned fuse issue?!?
Fuse issue. I assumed it was the alternator, but it turned out to be the fuse I used when moving the battery to the trunk.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM

O wow man thanks a lot for the tip. I've been very busy with school so I haven't even looked at it yet Anyways, do you recall which fuse it was so I can start looking there?