Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Fuel Pump/ FPR/ FMU electronics for vq30de

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Fuel Pump/ FPR/ FMU electronics for vq30de

I have been reading alot on different fuel setups for turbo cars. It seems like the most common is a 255 walbro hp fuel pump, with 370cc injects (I assume out of a 300zx) an FMU (not sure on disc size) and a FPR as well?

I'll start out with my car. Its a vq30de out of an I30T. It has 150k on the dial and an auto trans. It is mid mounted in a locost chassis.

Now I'm starting on my fuel system for this car. I have an RCI 12gallon tank with 8an lines. I am debating on running a turbo in the future. My question is, if I get the 255 walbro will I need to get a AFPR as well, if I'm running n/a for the time being?

Also when and if I go turbo, do I need an AFPR and a FMU or just the FMU? If both do you run the FMU before or after the AFPR? My last turbo car I ran a standalone with an AFPR.

If I don't want to run and FMU (as this is really old school tunning) what is the best to control fuel and spark? I know of emanage, but are there any other better options without going full standalone? Has anyone made a MAF to MAP adapter to work with boost?

I'm only planning to run around 10psi max.

And finally last question. I have a set of vq35de cams, are these a good option to run with boost or should I leave them out of the picture?

I know these are pretty noob questions but I assure you I have read the facts. (Seeing as many are from 2004-2007 are their any updates?)
Thanks
evo
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by evo626
I have been reading alot on different fuel setups for turbo cars. It seems like the most common is a 255 walbro hp fuel pump, with 370cc injects (I assume out of a 300zx) an FMU (not sure on disc size) and a FPR as well?

I'll start out with my car. Its a vq30de out of an I30T. It has 150k on the dial and an auto trans. It is mid mounted in a locost chassis.

Now I'm starting on my fuel system for this car. I have an RCI 12gallon tank with 8an lines. I am debating on running a turbo in the future. My question is, if I get the 255 walbro will I need to get a AFPR as well, if I'm running n/a for the time being?

Also when and if I go turbo, do I need an AFPR and a FMU or just the FMU? If both do you run the FMU before or after the AFPR? My last turbo car I ran a standalone with an AFPR.

If I don't want to run and FMU (as this is really old school tunning) what is the best to control fuel and spark? I know of emanage, but are there any other better options without going full standalone? Has anyone made a MAF to MAP adapter to work with boost?

I'm only planning to run around 10psi max.

And finally last question. I have a set of vq35de cams, are these a good option to run with boost or should I leave them out of the picture?

I know these are pretty noob questions but I assure you I have read the facts. (Seeing as many are from 2004-2007 are their any updates?)
Thanks
evo
damm give us some more pics of your project ! looks badass !
Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 PM

After doing some more research looks like I'll be ok for now with the 255 walbro. The minor increase in fuel pressure won't effect drivability.

As for controlling the fuel when I go turbo I'll just use a megasquirt ii as it is cheap and effective. I've used standalones before so I'm not in uncharted territory.

I'm going to make some cam spacers to run my vq35de cams. My understanding is if I use the Steven max style spacers I don't have to drill the cam? I have the spacer dimension file so that's one thing out of the way.

I'll post some more pics of the project later on.

Evo
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM

Yeah you wont have problems with the 255 and being NA. Alot of people have done that, it slightly increases pressure but nothing serious.

You can use FMU, but usually people do that when they stay with small injectors, the FMU increases the fuel pressure by alot getting more fuel out of the inj. My recommendation would be to not use an FMU and get bigger injectors. For 10psi you can do well with 400cc or 440cc, even 370cc Z32 injectors would be ok. If you are going to change the cams, and you are planning to go turbo in the future, I Strongly recommend you put some good quality head bolts, like L19. Incase you want to really push the engine later on, you will already be prepared with the head bolts, the 3.0 can easily do 400+, but the head gasket is usually what fails first, then rings (mostly to bad tuning).
Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 AM

nice work