Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Bosch plugs a no no..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Bosch plugs a no no..

So I was in a pinch awhile back and had to pass emissions, I got new plugs for the test since I had recently cleared a cel so had to do the sniffer. Went to the store but they didn't have the ngk so I went with the Bosch plugs. About 8 to 10k later, I checked my plugs this morning since I felt like I was getting spark blowout and some bogging after shifting. Didn't take a pic but on 2 of the plugs the ground straps were gone. I take full responsibility for that since that is most likely a tuning issue. My rant is the top of the plugs have a threaded top that makes contact with the spring from the ignition coil. If the plug slightly unthreads after you have tightened it over some time, the coil spring starts to dig into the top of the plug as the plug unscrews. The result was after I removed the 2 screws holding one of the coils to the engine is it did not want to come out since it was physically attached to the plug. I pulled on it and it destroyed the coil spring since pulling on a spring pulls it out of whack.

The top threaded portion of the plug is a non magnetic metal. If for some strange reason you are removing the plug and the top of it dethreaded and fell into the chamber (rare but possible if the plug slips off the socket) there is no way to fish it out with a magnet. Looking at all this I marvelled at such a poor design for a spark plug. Anyway, I put in all ngks today and learned a few lessons.

1. I won't buy Bosch plugs, what you do is up to you. A threaded top design makes no sense since the top can spin off. If that is how all plugs are made I don't know what to say. I've never seen ngks come apart.

2. Missing/ busted ground strap= detonation, high cylinder temps and/or poor plug quality. I always check my egts after boost since the zetrionix keeps the highest reading. Never saw anything out of the ordinary. Need to update the tune.

3. If car stumbles in boost or shifting check it out!! Glad I didn't lose a motor.