Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

trouble with the S/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM

trouble with the S/C

Hi all. Today I wanted to replace the leaky return hose fro my V2 and took of the blower. Decided to keep the bottom bolt in, so I could align the plate and blower during the reinstall.

Trying to same myself of some trouble, I got into even a bigger one - during installation I forgot about the bottom bolt and tied 4 on the top when I hear a loud snap.
Piece of mounting plate cracked off...
I was able to put it back into place and drive home from the shop - belt is still aligned and there is no extra noise from the way it is set up.

Just wanted to share and ask a question - what are the plates made from? It is slightly heavier than aluminum, but is still quite ridgid. It's a V2 plate, Original Stillen.
Also, where I could find a welder that coud weld that material in the tristate are.

No pictures as I had to rush the re-install.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Got Retrofit?

The V2 plates are aluminum and the V1 plates are steel IIRC. Any shop with a welder should be able to weld that up for you real quick.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I like Maximas

you gotta post pics of what broke off.

V2 is an aluminum plate. depending on how it broke it could be very minor (bolt hole broke)
or
it could be you misalligned the blower tightened it so it twisted the plate until it broke off. it that case you need a new plate since yours is twisted where the little pulley/cutaway is for the upper tensioner bolt.

I've seen it twisted, i've seen it broken, i've seen it totally unaffected.

point is without a clear picture of the area in question, you're taking a guess.

takes about 20-60 minutes to remove a blower depending on your level of compenency. today is a nice day (I'm working on my car)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by vipervadim
you gotta post pics of what broke off.

V2 is an aluminum plate. depending on how it broke it could be very minor (bolt hole broke)
or
it could be you misalligned the blower tightened it so it twisted the plate until it broke off. it that case you need a new plate since yours is twisted where the little pulley/cutaway is for the upper tensioner bolt.

I've seen it twisted, i've seen it broken, i've seen it totally unaffected.

point is without a clear picture of the area in question, you're taking a guess.

takes about 20-60 minutes to remove a blower depending on your level of compenency. today is a nice day (I'm working on my car)

Thanks Vadim
I worked on it yesterday and it took about 40 minutes to get it out, even though it was the first time experience (bought the car s/c already)
it broke because of the tension - as I stated I left the lowest bolt that uses allen wrench/hex to align it during re-assembly and plate didn't get in there properly - it sat above the bolt. When I started tightening the alternator bolt - it snapped

pictures will be up on Monday or Tuesday when I will be taking it off
right now it's working good and and belt is aligned, tension on it is good as well, no issues, no weird noises

I just asked what material, as it looked like plate was made from a mix of aluminum on the cut - something like duraluminium/duralumin

Thanks Chris and Vadim for fast response!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:17 PM

here is the pic - courtesy of JohnBLZ - that I have marked as per damage done to mine

Name:  IMAG0029_zpsaa075207.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  134.6 KB

as you can see from the lower markings - that was the damage to the plate as I got it - the screw hole is worn and I was counting on that piece to drop onto a bolt left in there during removal

top mark shows the broken piece
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by shaks
here is the pic - courtesy of JohnBLZ - that I have marked as per damage done to mine

as you can see from the lower markings - that was the damage to the plate as I got it - the screw hole is worn and I was counting on that piece to drop onto a bolt left in there during removal

How did you make out with this? Where you able to get the plated welded? I have a V2 plate and noticed there is wear from that Allen bolt In that same area but mine isnt damaged or broken. I used my V1 plate instead and its a much simpler install than the V2 plate.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by shaks

How did you make out with this? Where you able to get the plated welded? I have a V2 plate and noticed there is wear from that Allen bolt In that same area but mine isnt damaged or broken. I used my V1 plate instead and its a much simpler install than the V2 plate.