Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Supercharger installed on 2001 I30

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Supercharger installed on 2001 I30

Name:  SuperchargerIn_zpsb49ac34b.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  291.1 KB

I finally installed the V2 kit that I had laying in the garage for over a year. I had huge troubles with the two recessed allen bolts, #18 and #14 I believe, or maybe 15. The Idler pulley bolt was soo long that it wouldn't fit between the frame and the mounting plate, so I had to purchase a shorter one. Because I had already tightened the other bolts, I couldn't get the Allen bolts to line up at all. By the time I got to that it was 3am on Sunday after working all weekend, I had somewhat of a breakdown and pulled an all-nighter putting everything back to stock, after I already had installed the injectors and plugs.

Well last weekend I tried again, this time in the parking spot in the garage of the high-rise I live in and had more success. I left plate bolts loose and got the upper allen one in first, just a couple turns. For the lower bolt, I just let the pulley off the assembly and tightened that one down as well. Once the problem bolts were in, i alternated between all the bolts and tightened it down. The Idler pulley bolt is no issue at all once you have a little bit of a shorter one, and after I tightened it some I used a gearwrench.

Since It's a 4th Gen kit that I put on I had to cut off the adapter for the Maf housing. Also I'm not quite sure whether I did the vacuum routing properly. I connected the PCV valve as it was, and cut the hose that connects the two cylinder heads in the back in half and routed a hose that I put into the intake inlet. The front bank one is connected as the 4th gen one is. I noticed that I have a lot of oil on the intake of the supercharger, which makes me think I might have connected the vaccum hoses inappropriately.

Another thing that I must have done is smudged the sealant on the drainback plate, because I noticed I'm leaking a little oil there. On the first highway on-ramp run I blew out my maf, so I made a conversion map with the EMU and have it running with the maf unplugged for now, I was planning on getting rid of it eventually anyways.

I am running a gates HD green belt, but I'm running an Unorthodox Racing UDP, so I'm seeing only 7psi at 6500rpm with the 2.87 SC pulley. It's kind of disappointing, but hey, I'll improve over time.

Once I get a stock crank pulley, I'd like to also upgrade the impeller on my V2 and rebuild the blower. It supposedly has close to 50k on it and it's one of the old S impellers.

I also have a really strong oil smell. Any recommendations and input? So far I'm not too impressed with the performance, it starts pulling at like 4.5k, but I think it's mainly because of the UDP pulley and it not being tuner properly yet.

Next immediate steps are to replace the Stillen piping with 2.75" piping, re-clock the alternator and install the meth injection system. Eventually i'd like to get a 2.75 inlet outlet FMIC, but I think the meth should adequately cool the charge for now.

Edit:
I must have been so excited after the install and didn't notice that I forgot to give a shout out. I couldn't have. Done the Install without ptatoheads guide and also numerous Infos posted by the wizard! Thank you guys and all the other helpful .orgers a lot!

Last edited by McSteve; 08-24-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM
KH3 by popular demand

The valve cover hose connecting the two you should have been left intact, but you have the splice running to the other side of the car which looks worrisome to me. The large hose on the side of the valve cover would go to the s/c inlet (a custom fitting on the filter side). It should not be part of the charged side. Most people are just running a small breather filter where that large hose would connect to the stock intake. With the splice, the pcv system is not venting properly, it is only pulling from one cover under idle.
A)Front valve cover hose goes to turbo/sc inlet or put a breather filter. Just having the breather filter will contribute to the oil smell.
Example of valve cover hose to inlet here.
B) Rear valve cover has the pcv going to the intake, this can be intercepted (after the valve) with a catch can or left stock.

The udp is probably what is limiting the boost but you should also do a compression test to make sure.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
The valve cover hose connecting the two you should have been left intact, but you have the splice running to the other side of the car which looks worrisome to me. The large hose on the side of the valve cover would go to the s/c inlet (a custom fitting on the filter side). It should not be part of the charged side. Most people are just running a small breather filter where that large hose would connect to the stock intake. With the splice, the pcv system is not venting properly, it is only pulling from one cover under idle.
A)Front valve cover hose goes to turbo/sc inlet or put a breather filter. Just having the breather filter will contribute to the oil smell.
Example of valve cover hose to inlet here.
B) Rear valve cover has the pcv going to the intake, this can be intercepted (after the valve) with a catch can or left stock.

The udp is probably what is limiting the boost but you should also do a compression test to make sure.
Thanks for your input!

Sorry, I didn't realize that I took that picture before I installed the CAI.

The Front valve cover hose goes into a fitting in the CAI, before the supercharger. I get a lot of oil pushing through this tho, and there is a lot of oil on the outside of the impeller.

The 4th gen instructions say that there is a crankcase ventilation hose that goes into the 90* stillen bent right before the throttle body. THat's why I cut the rear hose connecting the two banks and ran a hose that goes into the intake. The 4th gen doesn't have a hose connecting these two banks.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might not be a good idea to have both banks connected to the intake? I connected the cut in a half hose to the stillen elbow.

Name:  Screenshot2013-08-02at53322PM_zpsf4a39a62.png
Views: 471
Size:  396.7 KB

Should I just clamp the hose back together, leave it as stock and then just put a cap on after the vacuum source? What hose should connect to this? I believe in the 4th gen the rear valve cover has the PCV hose on it which connects to this, but i'm not sure.

In the 2000 Stillen instructions it shows the PCV connected like i have it (Stock) and then a multi size t fitting installed on the front breather, but it is not really clear where it connects to. What further complicates the vacuum routing is that I removed the VIAS assembly, therefore having extra nipples around.

Here is a picture of the datalog of my last run. I don't really think I have a compression problem, since the curve looks pretty normal and doesn't drop off anywhere, but i'm not sure.

Name:  Screenshot2013-08-02at52843PM_zps4a8c07f9.png
Views: 371
Size:  467.2 KB
Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Got Retrofit?

<-- Jealous
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM

I guess having the hose attached post charger pressurizes the crank case which is bad, so for lack of alternatives i put a plug into the intake pipe and a breather filter onto the valve cover connection hose. Butt dyno says it runs a lot better, gotta do a run with the laptop connected tho.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Nice....
Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

nicee!!

If there was a decent s/c setup for my setup id probably be running it!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by McSteve
I guess having the hose attached post charger pressurizes the crank case which is bad, so for lack of alternatives i put a plug into the intake pipe and a breather filter onto the valve cover connection hose. Butt dyno says it runs a lot better, gotta do a run with the laptop connected tho.
Correct, you do not want to pressurize the valve covers at all. The valve covers are baffled but if you are getting oil from where you put the breather filter you could put a catch can there. On the 4th gen there is a hose that connects the 2 valve covers toward the timing chain side of the motor.

N/A vq30 Motor:
Under idle/vacuum, the pcv valve is on the rear valve cover and is open under suction, oil droplets and crankcase gases get sucked into the intake manifold (main reason I put a catch can intercept there).

Under normal driving operations (non-vacuum) the pcv valves closes,the crankcase gases are more and get sucked into the intake from the large front valve cover hose.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM

Let's race if you ever come back to AZ
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Let's race if you ever come back to AZ
Haha I would so be down! But I think the next time I'll be driving a car I own in AZ is when I pick my next one up. I hope that in the next year or two ill find a nice 06 E55. Last year it was the 5.5 supercharged engine. With a 2000 stage 2 kit it makes 550 HP and 600 ftlb torque. Straight up boner alert!

Totally wouldn't mind racing then! Haha

Last edited by McSteve; 08-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Oh lawd!

I'll race if you stay in 4th gear
Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Edited the first post.

Ordered a stock crank pulley, 2.75" in/out bar and plate FMIC, 2.75" piping and a crank seal. I'm excited to install all of it. I will also install my Synapse BOV and get rid of the maf housing of the blown maf. I also have an oil leak from the drain back plate I believe. When I re-seal it, I'm gonna use some black RTV over the 1 minute gasket maker. It was a lot easier to work with. Should that cause any problems?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Any pressure loss with the I/C setup?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 AM

So far none because it's all sitting on the living room floor. I don't know If I'll be able tO give a definite answer to that question tho, because I'll install the intercooler the same time as the stock crank pulley.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Name:  Screenshot2013-09-05at112917PM_zpseee40c47.png
Views: 347
Size:  318.8 KB

I extended my rev limiter yesterday and hit 9.6 PSI. All I can say is that I can't wait to install the regular crank pulley. Now that it is FI, overcoming the rev limiter is buttery smooth, as you can see in the graph.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Name:  HiPSI_zps7718d101.png
Views: 350
Size:  500.4 KB

I changed my crank pulley and and belt today, what a pita. Now I know what it feels like to actually have a supercharger. I hit 15 PSI at 6700. However, I either maxed out my injectors or i'll have to crank up the fuel pressure quite a bit. I also noticed that with the stock Bosch bypass valve I have a lot of compressor surge.

FMIC, Synapse BOV and meth injection are next.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 AM

It would be nice to see some dyno numbers with all that boost.Nice work.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM

Name:  BOVSC_zps23a9b451.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  97.9 KB

Changed the piping some and installed the Synapse BOV. I like it a lot. It always vents unless I go over approx. 35-50% throttle and then closes. The second I leave off the gas it vents again. Even not recirculated the Noise is not all that noticable, a thing they actually mention on their website. Maybe I'll take a pic of it operating once.

Now I have another problem tho, which started after i did 2 runs and hit the rev limiter on accident. My SC is now making noises, slight grinding noises. I might have to retighten the volute, but I hope that compressor surge from the rev limiter didn't mess anything up. It is noticable only in the higher rpms once the SC really starts spinning. I didn't notice it before with the old piping and the smaller pulley. Did any of you guys ever experience something similar? I will take the volute off to see whether there are cutting marks on the inside of the air inlet.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM

is my blower a freak? is my emu boost reading wrong? what's going on. I've not heard of anyone pushign this much boost out of the v2. plus it also does not feel all that super duper crazy fast, maybe because of how smooth it is. It starts sputtering when i add more fuel.

Are my injectors maxed out? I have 440s. I think I need to install my Meth injection and then have it tuned by someone professional. I'm very interested to see how much power it puts out.

Name:  highpsi_zpsd5abbb1c.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  123.1 KB

Last edited by McSteve; 10-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
KH3 by popular demand

What are your climate temps out on the road? The sputtering could be spark blow out or it may be detonating. Too much fuel can cause detonation also. With meth injection, depending on the ratio, it is considered fuel also. Is that timing reading correct? You may need to take away some.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM

thanks for the response! that was already with -4 timing. for testing purposes i did -8 and it lost all power completely.

i'm in chicago, so weather is in the 50s. maybe i should run a smaller gap on the plugs. i think i have em at .33 or so. I did not expect to have that much boost tho.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 PM
KH3 by popular demand

You might need to verify the boost on another gauge, that does seem high. Spark plug gap and timing seem good, I guess you could try a smaller gap, but if that doesn't work it must be something else.