Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Help with snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 PM

Help with snow tires

i searched, couldn't find info i was looking for.

i need your input guys. Syracuse winters suck, so i'm looking for snow tires.

1) till now, i've only been searching on tirerack.com. i was wondering if this is the best site with the cheapest prices. are there any other sites better?

2) since i have the 2002 SE with the 17inch wheels, i was wondering if i get 16inch steelies, will they fit, and will i have any problems with my brakes or the steel rims rubbing on anything.

3) whats the best snow tires??
so far i'm considering the Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Michelin Arctic Alpine
Bridgestone Blizzak WS - 50 or the LM-22
Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport.

4) the fact that the steel rims are 16x6.5, do they matter? compared to 16x7 or 16x7.5?? do they even sell those??

5) oh. and what size 16inch tires will i need.

thanks for your help guys. i've been having a shltty week with my car being in a hit and run, and i'm hoping that buying snow tires will make me feel better.

~eddie
Old 11-13-2003, 05:59 PM

and if there are any other tires that you guys might suggest, please feel free to input.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM

I have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 mounted on 16" steel rims on my 2k3 SE, they are great on snow, and quite good in rain and pavement. They just have an incredible grip to them. The tread is really aggressive. I have 215/55R16 93H on mine.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Wild at Hurt

I am researching the same thing. I am going to go with Rota Slipstream for wheels. All the tires you mentioned are good. The Blizaks are probably the best tire for Ice but i hear the tread wears out the fastest. I was told 225/55-16's will work also, good to know because not evey tire is available in every size. Nokian is also supposed to be a great tire also, Tire rack does not carry them though.
Tire rack is a good source and read the reviews on the tires you are considering.
But i would try and support my LOCAL tire dealer. See if they will come to within $5.00 per tire of TR's price.
Try to go with something that is readilly available, so if you damage one you dont have a long wait.
What you need in a wheel is 5 lug, 114.3 bolt circle, 40-45 offset.
Good luck let us know how you end up.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:01 PM

thanks for the replys.

anyone else have input??
Old 11-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

I'm current setup right now is 16" alloy rims from a 4th gen and mounted on them are Dunlop M3s. These tires are incredible. Amazing in the rain and dry, a great quiet, directional snow tire. Payed just over $100 bucks each for the 215-55/16. Stick with TIre Rack for the tires, great prices and quick delivery.

I also was looking into the steelies and snows but instead found someone on the board selling 16" alloy rims.

Originally Posted by EddiexAhn
i searched, couldn't find info i was looking for.

i need your input guys. Syracuse winters suck, so i'm looking for snow tires.

1) till now, i've only been searching on tirerack.com. i was wondering if this is the best site with the cheapest prices. are there any other sites better?

2) since i have the 2002 SE with the 17inch wheels, i was wondering if i get 16inch steelies, will they fit, and will i have any problems with my brakes or the steel rims rubbing on anything.

3) whats the best snow tires??
so far i'm considering the Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Michelin Arctic Alpine
Bridgestone Blizzak WS - 50 or the LM-22
Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport.

4) the fact that the steel rims are 16x6.5, do they matter? compared to 16x7 or 16x7.5?? do they even sell those??

5) oh. and what size 16inch tires will i need.

thanks for your help guys. i've been having a shltty week with my car being in a hit and run, and i'm hoping that buying snow tires will make me feel better.

~eddie
Old 11-14-2003, 05:39 AM

I'm in the same position and have been hunting around for snows for my '01 AE. After a lot of research, I've decided on the Pirelli Winter 210 Snow Sport. I'm not here to tell you they are definitively the best because I haven't actually tried them yet, and more importantly, haven't tried any of the others on your list (which were all on my list as well). There isn't a bad choice among that group - each will vastly out-perform any all season tire when the white stuff flies.

Now I'm stuck deciding on whether to go with 16's on crappy wheels or stay with 17's on my stock wheels. Not sure I dig the look of the Maxima with 16's.

Jaeger
Old 11-14-2003, 09:40 AM

Nokian WRH's! Turn your Max into a winter tank! Friend ran them last year so I know they work real well. Had mine mounted last week and they are quiet and handle very well for a snow. I paid $165 including M/B and new valve stems...
Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skier
Nokian WRH's! Turn your Max into a winter tank! Friend ran them last year so I know they work real well. Had mine mounted last week and they are quiet and handle very well for a snow. I paid $165 including M/B and new valve stems...

Check this site out to calculate what size fits the best:
http://www.eunos.com/tirecalc/
Old 11-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was concerned about the poor treadwear on the Blizzaks. I've ordered a set of 225/55/17 Goodyear Ultragrip GW3's for winter use. Their treadware rating is much better, though their snow traction isn't as high as the Blizzaks.

CM.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:16 AM

I used blizzaks on my wife's maxima. They were great. Used them 2-3 years then sold the car.

For the new car I we went with some DUNLOP Graspic's. Was a decision based on cost of tire $62 vs $85 for the blizzaks.

My truck I put some Firestone winter fires on there. They don't seem to make them anymore.

The results from tireracks surveys seem to match up pretty good with what I found in real life. Trust the numbers and pick something with a high traction rating for snow if your buying snow tires.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:07 AM

I wanted to go the cheapest route and save the wear and tear on my summer tires and alloys. So I bought steel 15" wheels from Ebay. $36 bucks for 4 brand new off GLE. I put them on my 2000SE yesterday. Fit the brakes fine. Tire size 205/65/15 Got BFGoodrich winter slaloms at Costco, $57.00 a tire.

Few points:
The narrower the better in the snow.
Buy extra rims steel or not but you will eventually ruin your bead ripping them off your rims twice a year. Also costs a fortune over the life of a car.
Costco will switch the wheels for free if you have them mount. Also free flat repair.
Blizzaks are great but wear out real fast.
Alpins are rather poor in the deep stuff.
1010tires.com and tirerack.com have all the customer reviews you could want.
Lastly, the worst snow tire is better than the best "all season" in the white stuff, just keep it narrow.