Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Question for people with 235/45/17 size tires on stock 17" wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Question for people with 235/45/17 size tires on stock 17" wheels....

Did the steering feel very vague and irresponsive when you first put the tires on?
Did the car feel floaty and even pulling sideways???

I just went from stock Potenzas with moderately good tread left to Sumitomo HT+ 235/45/17 and this is how it felt when i drove home.. I suppose an alignment is needed but I hope this is not how they feel in general? Maybe the shop inflated the tires wrong?

thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 09:49 PM

Mine was fine. I got Potenza RE950s about a month ago. Steering is actually better. check your tire pressure.

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Did the steering feel very vague and irresponsive when you first put the tires on?
Did the car feel floaty and even pulling sideways???

I just went from stock Potenzas with moderately good tread left to Sumitomo HT+ 235/45/17 and this is how it felt when i drove home.. I suppose an alignment is needed but I hope this is not how they feel in general? Maybe the shop inflated the tires wrong?

thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is my .02 on the 235/45's on OEM 17's/

I got the Yokohama AVS ES100's about 11K miles ago. Obviously 235/45's

They fit just fine, my first response was compared to the craptenzas. They cut through water very easily at 40+ mph were the potenza's would hydroplane. The car was more stable on the freeway, around the corners, ect...
Overall it was awesome... now that 11K has passed Ive found that running 38[si was WAAY too much. Some say the car is more stable Some will argue this, but personally I dont feel much of a diff between 30 and 40 psi. The only thing I know for a fact the 38psi I was running did was cause the tire to wear from the center too quickly.
I lowered the pressure back to 32 about 1-2K miles ago and its now starting to even out. At first the center was worn about 3mm more down the center then the sides, so it was quite obvious.
I dont think the tire being wider then the rim helps much but whatever. Looking back, I dont know if it was more my fault for running too much pressure or the tire got worn more due to it being wider
All Im hoping for now is for the tires to last another 8-10Kmiles. That way I can get my 19's w/o having to spend another 4-5bills on a new set of tires
Old 01-15-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
All Im hoping for now is for the tires to last another 8-10Kmiles. That way I can get my 19's w/o having to spend another 4-5bills on a new set of tires
Even if they do last another 10k miles, you would still have to buy new tires once you get 19's.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:44 PM

hmm, gotta check that tire pressure i guess...
Old 01-16-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Here is my .02 on the 235/45's on OEM 17's/

I got the Yokohama AVS ES100's about 11K miles ago. Obviously 235/45's
i've got Yokohama H4s (which i believe is about the same tire as the ES100) in 234/45 on stock 17s. i love them! excellent wet traction here also, low profile, good wear warranty.

since putting them on i THINK i drift (or sway from side to side) a bit more as well. but, i was lowered at about the same time - so perhaps that is due to a combination of the two. areodynamics of the lowering and stickyness of the new tires or something. or maybe it has just been windy as heck lately and that is what i'm feeling. not sure...no big deal either way.

alignment and tire pressure (as you said) may be worth looking into.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by fishhouse
i've got Yokohama H4s (which i believe is about the same tire as the ES100) in 234/45 on stock 17s. i love them! excellent wet traction here also, low profile, good wear warranty.

since putting them on i THINK i drift (or sway from side to side) a bit more as well. but, i was lowered at about the same time - so perhaps that is due to a combination of the two. areodynamics of the lowering and stickyness of the new tires or something. or maybe it has just been windy as heck lately and that is what i'm feeling. not sure...no big deal either way.

alignment and tire pressure (as you said) may be worth looking into.

you should REALLY do an alignment after you have your car lowered. Otherwise you will wear the inner part of the tires. At least in the front you would.

I didn't do an alignment on my 4th gen after a drop and 8k miles later my already 50% tread left tires were shot.

I will do an alignment aswell, but I am swapping out my ground controls next week for regular springs so i'll wait until i swap and they settle..
Old 01-16-2004, 06:53 PM

I got Dunlop Sport A2s and my center is wearing out faster then outside, should I lower my pressure?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
I got Dunlop Sport A2s and my center is wearing out faster then outside, should I lower my pressure?

what is the psi you are running them at now?

and what is the suggested psi on the sidewall?
Old 01-25-2004, 03:29 PM

First is yeah your right, ive also noticed the car does drift to the right or left a bit easier then it used to. At first it was A LOT more stable, but now thats its worn a bit its acting a bit odd.
Well here is the difficult part about the 235/45's...you dont know what tire pressure to use ive tried 38-40 and the center wore out quite a bit. Not Im running it at around 30-32 to even things out it is not as stable as it used to be. Its just too damn wide for a 7" rim. It will work, but its anoying to have to worry about how a tire wears, ect...
The MAX on the sidewall is 50psi for the ES100's. Thats considering its mounted on atleast a 7.5" rim though. 40 was still too much. Im just hoping these will last me another 6-8K miles, by that time Ill have enough dough to get me 19's.