Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Looking for FAQ on rims and tires NEWBIE

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:43 PM

Looking for FAQ on rims and tires NEWBIE

I just bought a Maxima 95 GLE and it came with the honeycomb 16 inch with some FAT, not PHAT Yoko tires (which are ugly as hell).

I know NOTHING about rims and tires but I need something better then what i have. I would like to be directed toward a faq on wheels. How to upgrade, what to upgrade, what the terms mean, ect.

Any help would be appreachiated.

Thx!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM
living out of a maxima...

Check out this thread for some basic info. Post back if you have more questions.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Check out this thread for some basic info. Post back if you have more questions.

Ok heres a few.

What is lowering a car to make the rims look better consist of. Why, what, who, how. Will that help or hurt performance. Reasons

What do the numbers in this sequence mean 235/45/17. The 17 seems to be for inches. Whats the others for. Higher or lower numbers mean...

Offset? What role does that play. And do my bolts have to match up to what i have on the ride now.

Thx.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by steveme
Ok heres a few.

What is lowering a car to make the rims look better consist of. Why, what, who, how.
Our cars come stock with rediculous wheel gap, so aftermarket wheels look silly when riding at stock height.
Will that help or hurt performance. Reasons
Lowering will help performance. Lower car = lower center of gravity and stiffer springs means the car will not roll and lean as much around corners.
What do the numbers in this sequence mean 235/45/17. The 17 seems to be for inches. Whats the others for. Higher or lower numbers mean...

Offset? What role does that play. And do my bolts have to match up to what i have on the ride now.

Thx.
Pretend you had those 235/45/17 tires on 17x7.5, 5/114.3, +32 offset Q45 wheels. Key measurements for wheels and tires are as follows...

Wheels
17 - diameter of wheel, in inches
7.5 - width of wheel, in inches
5 - 5 bolt lug pattern
114.3 - spacing of lugs
+32 - offset, the distance between the center of the rim and the inside surface where the wheel mounts to the hub

Tire
235 - width of tire, in mm
45 - height of tire as a percentage of the width (also referred to as aspect ratio)
17 - diameter of tire, in inches

This explains everything you need to know, in detail, including types of tires, plus sizing and more about offset http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/tired.html
Old 03-02-2004, 07:31 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info. I saw lowering the car helps out, but how do you do this. Is it done by shop or by me. Possibly a site for doing this.

EDIT I just saw you need to buy springs that lower your car. This seems like a lengthy project. Not sure how to do it or what i need.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:43 AM

Shorter springs are what actually lowers the car. When you change out the springs you should also change out your struts because typically the stock struts are not strong enough to handle the stiffer springs, and will wear out quickly.

I have Tokico Illumina struts with Progress springs, and I am very happy with the setup. Handles will and rides nicely, not too stiff and not too floaty.