Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

What's the best "no hassle" performance tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 09:42 AM
jrd
Newbie - Just Registered

What's the best "no hassle" performance tire?

I don't use my Maxima for racing, but I like every ounce of wet/dry/snow grip I can get in a tire, and I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort. (But I really don't want to use two sets of tires.)

In the past I've used fairly basic tires on my SE - Pirelli, Toyo, Potenzas... and a friend of mine likes Dunlop SP...

It's time to change my tires, and this time I wanted to really see if I could get some with exceptional grip - but everytime I see a top rated tire it has some MAJOR flaws - for example:

- It has horrible performance on snow (or even water)
- It is extremely "touchy" - i.e. hard to balance, needs lots of attention, and if everything's not done right you lose the performance...
- It wears out really fast...
- It has really bad road noise and a really harsh ride...

And worst of all, the "official" reviews never match the user reviews, e.g., every official review of the Michelin HydroEdge claims it has excellent snow performance...

Are the mid range tires I've mentioned the best you can get without starting to seriously sacrifice in some areas, or can anyone recommend some higher gripping tires that are still "all around" and not so touchy?

Thanks for the advice - searching for tires is making my head spin.
- Jeff
Old 08-29-2004, 11:08 AM

If you really need a tire that won't flake out in snow, you should check out here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 08-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

I have put Pirelli P-Zero Nero all around and they have been very sticky as well as extremely reliable in wet weather. I have no issues with them.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pirelli P-Zero Nero is the best, I'd have them if they existed in 215/55-16. Toyo Proxes 4 is getting very good reviews but they're still fairly new so not that many people have them yet. You won't hear many bad reviews of the Falken Ziex ZE-512 either.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IMO the best tires in this category

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS
Old 08-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It sounds like you are asking for a tire that does not exist.

Just being willing to sacrifice comfort or noise isn't enough of a compromise to get long wear, dry grip, wet grip, AND snow performance. You're going to have to settle for having worse of something, usually it ends up being snow performance. Even if you get an all-season rated "good" for snow, it is still going to suck compared to a real winter tire though, so keep that in mind.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

OK...so you want a tire that is great in dry/wet/snow conditions and does not wear out fast. Good luck with that. You can get a couple of combinations of those but not all.

Look into the Potenza RE950 for the dry/wet and long tread wear categories. They are OK, at best, in the snow.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:12 AM

i have pirelli PZero nero's on my car now...they are awesome
another good one is the yokahoma AVS ES 100's!
I had both of them and they both are good...
If you feel like doing a nice burnout with tons of smoke...get the pirelli's
Old 08-31-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
OK...so you want a tire that is great in dry/wet/snow conditions and does not wear out fast. Good luck with that. You can get a couple of combinations of those but not all.

Look into the Potenza RE950 for the dry/wet and long tread wear categories. They are OK, at best, in the snow.
I love my RE950s but they've gotten so expensive that I don't want to pay that much to replace them. That and they've gotten pretty noisy in their old age. Is it just me or did the price go up a lot in the last couple of years? I got the last set for $104 per tire a couple of years ago and I can't find any local vendors willing to go below $120 now.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Weasel
I love my RE950s but they've gotten so expensive that I don't want to pay that much to replace them. That and they've gotten pretty noisy in their old age. Is it just me or did the price go up a lot in the last couple of years? I got the last set for $104 per tire a couple of years ago and I can't find any local vendors willing to go below $120 now.

Try TireRack. I do know that they went from AQ technology to AQII so that might be the price increase.....I get emloyee discount so I don't have to worry abou that
Old 08-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Weasel

oh, you might want to try the G009's....they are supposed to be the replacement tire for the 950 very soon and they are cheaper. But from what I have seen they are not as good as the 950, and they don't look as good either.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:14 PM

My brother has the G009 on his car, it's a good tire but it's no RE950. It seems to me like it's a little more biased towards comfort and snow traction than the RE950 is. I ended up getting Toyo Proxes 4's, I got a great deal from treadepot.com and I got them 2 days after my order. I'll post a review once I get them mounted and balanced and get some driving in.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 PM
avg

I use khumo supra asx's on my car and they have worked perfectly. my brother uses the khumo supra ecsta 712's on his car and they perform very well. Neither of us have ever had any problem with khumo's.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by jrd
....can anyone recommend some higher gripping tires that are still "all around" and not so touchy?
- Jeff
Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs.

I removed nearly-new Pilot A/S because I could not longer stand the road noise and replaced them with the Turanzas.....they have nearly the same dry grip, more wet grip and are much more comfortable than the Pilots.....with their tread pattern they also should be nearly as good in snow.

They are also cheaper than the Pilot A/Ss
Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 AM

Be a guinea pig, try out the new goodyear assurance and tell us how well it performs.

Or do like I have, I have my stock rims setup with Studded snow tires. And a set of motegi's with douglas for traveling. I'm fixing to get a 3rd set for the summer time.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Way out West

Maybe you can get an all season radial that can do OK in poor weather, but your performance and handling will suffer. That Pilot Sport slizan99 linked looks promising, but it looks like the reviews on there show heavy center wear and I would think the snow traction is only "acceptable." $175 for 225-45-17s is pretty steep. Sounds like a very good 3 season tire, however.

I also have a set of studded snow tires mounted on steel wheels. IMO, there isn't a performance tire that can really handle snow. My snow tires with steel wheels cost around $375 or so out the door and my car is fantastic in snow and ice with them. You can buy them in the smallest size available for your car (mine are stock size, 205-65-15 for a 3rd gen) and they last for years because I only put them on when I know it's going to snow, or when we have lots of frost/freezing rain, etc in the forecast. It only takes a few minutes because they are already mounted and balanced.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM

The best overall balanced performance tire i have owned is the Dunlop SP Sport 5000. Although I don't get opportunties to evaluate their snow performance