Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Update on Hankook tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 04:58 AM

Update on Hankook tires

I have good news on the Hankook HRII 405 tires. I told you recently That I purchased this tire in a 225/50/17 at $69 dollars each and delivered to my door for $315 (no tax). First of all thats an incredible price for any tire in any size! This tire is made in Korea as you all know. Think Hyundai cars. They have now surpassed Toyota in a recent JD Powers satisfaction survey to give you an idea of their commitment to quality as well as low prices.
I had the tires mounted yesterday at Avellinos for $13 dollars each. They charged me $2.50 each to dispose of the Potenzas.(too many old tires in this world ready to catch fire anymore) Take em with or not. I left them! So the total .....$380.72 (PA tax), tires, mounted, balanced, valve stems and disposal.
Now the better news: Tires are excellent so far. Grip excellent. Absorbs bumps etc. better than potenzas. A little light rain no problem. (I'll report later on heavy downpours and snow here in the Northeast) I have to experiment with inflation also. When I left avellinos the inflation was all over the place... 38 psi in one tire 36 in another, stc. I rack it up to rampant incompetence like in almost every industry, service sector today! Thats another story which I won't go into right now. Anyway I'm thinking of keeping 36-37 psi up front and 34-35 psi in the rear. One other thing. I'm getting a slight shimmy in the sterring wheel, so I'm taking the Maxima back this weekend for a rebalance up front. I've had this happen in the past with other cars. I think the combinations of larger rims and tires and trying to hide those weights on the inside of a nice looking wheel always give these shops/machines/mechanics a hard time. Just my observations with many cars in my years of driving (21 cars at last count) And I've been licenced since 1974.
Back to the tires:
My first impressions are excellent. I work my Max infrequently but when I do it can take almost whatever I dish out. For a stock SE with auto tranny it has incredible raw power. And for me it handles well enough although I might install a RSB once I do more research on it! Either way It now handles and feels better on the road and I attribute this to the new tires. (the shimmy is minor and can be remedied). As a last note I'd like to hear some more feedback from anyone on tires or your impressions on my write up! Especially the 23 year old who smokes his Hankooks because according to him thats all their good for..Hee hee. (when I was 23 I was serving in the Navy and was lucky to afford my 1974 datsun 710 4-sp stick with 13 inch tires!) Thanks for your attention.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:50 AM

Tires

Very cool, I will need to purshase the same tires later on.
Can I know where or what website you ordered from ?
I'm canadian and the best price I have for the same model is 129$ CAN/Tire. + Ship. + GST.
What do you think about that ?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:25 AM

To my Canadian friend

You can find the tires at edgeracing.com As far as your quoted price it sounds high to me. Check shipping to Canada at edge racing. Good luck and if you do buy I hope you are as pleased with these tires as me!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great find...those prices are just crazy. I need new tires this winter...I'm sure I'll pickup a set.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:17 AM

$69/tire is an awesome price. I saw them for $99 each somewhere else. I would have replaced all 4 of my tires (when I got a flat back in April) for that price had I known.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM

sweet dood. I'm enjoying my nankang NS-1 also. For those on budgets, don't discount korean tires.
Jae
Old 09-12-2004, 02:50 PM

I too purchased a set of the HRII's and i love em... i got mine in a 245/40/18 and they definitely hold the pavement in some twists and turns, got to test them out over the last week in some hurricane weather, no problems at all.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:44 PM

I have the same tires, you got a better deal than I did. I highly recommend these tires to anyone. They are very grippy and handle extremely well in the rain. Heres my story.

I have Hancooks, 17in 235/45 on my car. Not sure which one it is, but it has a crazy tread pattern, with a deep grove in the middle. When we had the REMINANTS of that hurricane a few weeks ago in Jersey, I was driving on 287 S going about 90 the whole way home. My friend has a Jetta with the stock tires, and he couldnt keep up, he was hydoplaning. With these tires in te rain all i felt was a skip at some points going 90mph. I think thats pretty impressive. I def. recommend them. The ones I have are 3 season tires because of the pattern, so some snow tires or reg all season will be need for the winter. Volvo actually uses these tires on the S60R as an option for our customers who want 3 season/all season tires without sacrificing handling and rain capabilities. i got them for 80 bucks, so thats also a good price u got there. I think the actual cost is close to 100 bucks.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=332595

Oh, by the way it is HRII 405.