Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Anybody tried these tires yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:30 PM

Anybody tried these tires yet?

I'm going to pick up a set of Yokohama AVS ES100 235/45/17 from a friend of mine. I definitely can't complain about the pricing, but just checking if anybody has tried these and would care to share their experiences. I've read reviews on Tirerack, but still looking for first hand experiences! Please help!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:38 PM

I have those. Mine are 225/40/18. After 8k, the wear is normal. The traction on them is very good. The noise is loud and the ride is harsh (some people don't care) but I hate going over every bump very very slowly and feeling every freaking bump on the street. (I drive around trying to avoid small bumps hehehehe pathetic ).
Old 12-14-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rls81
I have those. Mine are 225/40/18. After 8k, the wear is normal. The traction on them is very good. The noise is loud and the ride is harsh (some people don't care) but I hate going over every bump very very slowly and feeling every freaking bump on the street. (I drive around trying to avoid small bumps hehehehe pathetic ).
Every review that I've read says that they perform well, but that the biggest issue is the noise. Unless these are RIDICULOUSLY loud, I'm still gonna get 'em. I'm getting them for $100 for a set of 4. Guess I can't complain. I wonder if they're gonna make a big difference from the Bridgestone RE-040 that are on my 350's now? I'm changing the tires 'cuz the rear has a 235/50/17 on it, and it rubs slighlty with my Tein S-Tech drop. Do you guys think this small change might help?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have that exact size. They're not "loud" in my opinion, and I actually wanted a quiet tire, so I noticed. Noise-wise I consider them "acceptable" and in a car like a Maxima you can't really hear it too well with the windows up. With the windows down they gradually begin to make this hollow hissing noise (think about a dentist's suction tube or a cappucino machine) as speed increases, but I've never thought this sound to be a distraction. Up at highway speed, road and engine noise becomes louder than this and you don't hear it very much.

Steering response and turn in seem pretty good, but I don't really have anything to reference this experience to. The double steel ply sidewalls help I guess. I'm not going to comment on ride or tramlining since I went from 15" to this. It wasn't as bad as I thought it could be though, unless the roads are deeply rutted. I've been too scared to dare test the limits of these tires, given my car is mostly stock and needed some parts replaced, but they offered more grip than I felt comfortable using in my daily commute.

I got a pretty good deal on my set too (new 2nd hand) and I thought it was a good purchase I didn't regret.

Sorry, don't know about your fitment issue as issues like wheel offset come into play.... I'd start a new thread about this.