Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Small cut on sidewall

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:22 AM

Small cut on sidewall

I just noticed that there is a small cut (not sure how deep it is!) in the sidewall of the front right tire and I checked the tire pressure is only 15 psi(against 30) .. I am wondering if I can fill in air to 30 psi but will this aggravate the cut ?!?!? I mean will it result in a bulge or something ...

Please advise ... I'm carefully driving my car only on the right lanes with shoulder for now. I went to nearby Sears but the three types of tires that I am willing to test (M - Hydroedge, GY - Tripletred and Falken 512) are on back order and will take 7-10 days for them to get the tires from warehouse. I'm thinking of replacing both the front tires. RIght now I have Goodyear Eagle HPs and I don't think I can find them anymore.

I'll try to take a picture of the cut.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just take it to a tire shop (or more than one) and they will be able to tell you if it's serious or not. A cut a couple mm or so deep isn't an issue since the sidewall is designed to take abuse like this, but if it's deep enough to reach the sidewall plys and cords THEN it warrants replacement.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM

Thanks Bman for the advice, I'll rush to a tire shop(s) today.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:57 PM

Well, if you put air in the tire and things get worse, wouldn't you want to know? You can't run the tire at that low a pressure for long. Sidewalls for the most part cannot be repaired. Better safe than sorry. I'd hate to have it blow the next time you are cruising down the highway at a high rate of speed.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:02 PM

Yup, he's better off riding around on the donut than on a tire that may go any minute.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. I went and got 2 new Falken 512's, also rotated the old ones on the front and put the new ones on the rear. The mechanic showed me how deep the cut was and told me that if I had taken my car onto the highway and hit 80s for couple of minutes, the tire would have blown ... not sure if that's any exaggeration but I asked him after the tires were all replaced and ready to go.

Falken's felt nice in today's snow showers here in Chicagoland and the wet traction seemed to be good. I probably was driving with slight over-confidence that I have 512's now.

The other two tires (Goodyear Eagle HP) got 6/32 and 5.5/32 tread left, so I guess they should be okk for this winter ... am I wrong ?!?

Seems like these goodyears need me to fill in air every 2 weeks!! I don't if that's normal. Not sure if air is leaking out. Do we need to put slightly more air as the tires age ?!?

Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 AM

You have a slow leak somehow with your Goodyears, it's not normal. Grab some soapy water in a spray bottle, or take it to a shop where they have a tub of water to dunk it into and they can check for you.

Look for either a puncture like a nail or something, or it could be the valve stem too. If you're unlucky it may be the tire bead, in which case the tire will have to be dismounted to inspect further. Usually this kind of leak is due to corrosion in the area, and fixes sometimes work, sometimes don't.