Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Pirelli vs Falken vs Toyo (I did search!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Donating Member

Pirelli vs Falken vs Toyo (I did search!!!)

I just read about twenty threads but would like to boil it down to this comparo for an '02 Max SE 6-spd (225/50/17) w/stock set-up:

Falken Ziex ZE 512
Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S
Toyo Proxies 4

I'd like your opinions on tire wear + road noise + dry/wet grip. I drive fairly hard (but dont race) since the Craptenzas wore out pretty quickly. I don't care about snow traction since I already have some Hakkapalitta Q's (and can't recommend them enough to anyone who drives in snow) so I just need these for the summer months. I don't want an all out Max Performance tire though - too noisy and wear too quick.

Thanks in advance for all of your 2-cents....
Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Need A Light?

If you don't want MAX Performance...why don't you try Ultra high Performance?

I personally have the Pirellis on my car...I love them...rides smooth and quiet...grips well too....also heard good things about Toyo Proxes 4....I would stay away from Falken 512s....not sayin they are a bad tire...but it's becuz I heard some of them are defective....and could cause problems...... and you having to return to the tire shop a few trips....which might mean time off work or school that can be a hassle....
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 AM

In 225/50R17, you won't find the Toyos or the Pirellis. The closest size you'll find is 235/45, but is off spec for the 7" wide OEM rim and most installers will refuse to mount them, so you's have to go to a mom and pop shop if you go that route.

I personally didn't like how easy the 512s rolled in the rim, and took them off after only 3300 miles. Their sidewalls are just too weak, resulting in very poor turn in and conrnering stability. The car felt like it was on underinflated tires, even up to 47 psi.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:56 AM

I guess I'm one of the few who like the Falkens and I just ordered a set for my MAX. I have had them on my hopped-up Civic for a while and can't complain about them. After about 10K, they still look brand new, the handling is OK, I get a little vibration at high speeds, but I think its because I have crappy wheels. They also handle very well in the snow and rain as long as you don't get crazy - no hydroplaning or anything like that. Bottom line, for the price, they are an excellent value and a very good all-around tire. They are leaps and bounds better than the stock POTENZAs, but Toyos or something like that will probably handle better if that's all you care about. JMHO.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:24 AM

Anything is better than the crapenzas (the RE92s are easily 15 year old technology). You're not saying much.

If I ever buy 512 again, big if, I may put the 512s on a lighter car like a Civic, but on a heavier car like the Max, good luck. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:19 AM

I will admit that the 512s may act differently on a heavier car like a MAX. But the fact is that the 512s are as advertised - a decent handling, good-wearing, all-season tire. They are not for high performance but I don't believe them to be a "dangerous" tire either. For the money, treadwear rating, and ok all-season handling, you just can't beat them. As always, JMO.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:52 AM

We are limited in the stock sizes for all season tires. If you are stuck on Toyo tires, they do have the TPT's in the 225/50/17 size available. You can go to: 1010tires.com to get a better idea of what's available and their rating. I'm not for one to buy tires over the net so I went to Sears and got the Michelin Pilot A/S. Ed.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by nissanluva
But the fact is that the 512s are as advertised - a decent handling, good-wearing, all-season tire. They are not for high performance but I don't believe them to be a "dangerous" tire either.
They are marketed as "All season performance", not "all season touring" (but IMO they don't even qualify as "touring"). Hell, I got 57K miles out of the RE92s, so I certainly wasn't doing any "high performance" driving. For me, the 512s felt dangerous since I had no feel of what my suspension and steering were doing. There was no feedback. Those tires required steering input at all times to the point that my steering went from having a rack and pinion feel to a recirculating ball feel. Also, just MHO.

What tires do you have on the Max right now? Let us know how it feels after the 512s are on.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:16 AM

You also might want to consider the Yokohama Avid H4S or the Bridgestone Traction TAs (made by Michelin). I am limited to selection with my stock 15" sawblades and am opting for the Bridgestone tires. See tirerack.com for comparisons.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 AM

IMO the 512s are excellent tires for the price. Its great in the rain, and also for the turns. I wouldn't say that they are the best, but for the price they are good tires.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
They are marketed as "All season performance", not "all season touring" (but IMO they don't even qualify as "touring"). Hell, I got 57K miles out of the RE92s, so I certainly wasn't doing any "high performance" driving. For me, the 512s felt dangerous since I had no feel of what my suspension and steering were doing. There was no feedback. Those tires required steering input at all times to the point that my steering went from having a rack and pinion feel to a recirculating ball feel. Also, just MHO.

What tires do you have on the Max right now? Let us know how it feels after the 512s are on.
I've got the stock "crapenzas" on right now. I've got 23K on them and they are pretty badly worn. In their defense, even badly worn, they ride very quietly and don't squeal at all going around turns, but I make sure not to push them at all, to the point where if it is raining or snowing, I take my Civic with the trusty 512s. I could barely get up my driveway in the snow in the MAX.

The Falken 512s for the MAX should be arriving next week so I'll be sure to put up my review once I put them on. I must admit you've got me a little nervous but I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:07 PM

I've got the stock "crapenzas" on right now. I've got 23K on them and they are pretty badly worn. In their defense, even badly worn, they ride very quietly and don't squeal at all going around turns, but I make sure not to push them at all, to the point where if it is raining or snowing, I take my Civic with the trusty 512s. I could barely get up my driveway in the snow in the MAX.

The Falken 512s for the MAX should be arriving next week so I'll be sure to put up my review once I put them on. I must admit you've got me a little nervous but I've got my fingers crossed.
Who knows, you may like them. I trusted the 80% that did like them and the whole thing blew up in my face.

I hope when you say the tires will be in, you mean at a store that may let you take them back if you don't like them and not that you bought them online (as I did).
Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Donating Member

[QUOTE=CCS2k1Max]In 225/50R17, you won't find the Toyos or the Pirellis. The closest size you'll find is 235/45, but is off spec for the 7" wide OEM rim and most installers will refuse to mount them, so you's have to go to a mom and pop shop if you go that route.

I'm hearing mixed reviews about the 512's that's why I'm considering the Pirelli's and the Toyo's now. Does any have the 235/45's on the stock '02 rims? The extra width probably wont bother me since I'll take them off for the winter anyway. Are either of them loud on the highway?

By the way - I have no idea how anyone can get over 35k' ona set of the Craptenzas. I wore mine done in only about 25k and I drive fast, but not crazy.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:04 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=123257&pp=200
Old 02-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Donating Member

Thanks Man, the 235 issue is put to rest with me. Now back to the 225/50 drawing board I guess.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pangburn
Thanks Man, the 235 issue is put to rest with me. Now back to the 225/50 drawing board I guess.

There was a post today where he bought the Falken 512s at Sears, not happy with them, gave him full refund and ordered the stock size tires from tirerack for him. I did not know they would do this. This is a good deal. Again, if you're looking for A/S performance tires, we're limited but Toyo's has the TPT with great rating and good price. I got the Pilot A/s at Sears for $175 each plus install. I know they're expensive but if I get a good 40K out of them, I believe I got a good deal. They also have the Michelin XGT V4 and Z4. I read about the 512's and had both pros and cons. I am no way near to be a tire expert but pushing on the wall of the 512s compared to others, if was very soft like the lower end tires. Ed.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 AM

if you can include pirelli and toyo in your comparison against falkens, then you can obviously fit pirelli and toyo in your budget since you were at least researching them and came down to those 3 choices - imo go with the pirelli or toyo - you may not get em in the oem size but like ccs2k1 mentioned you can do an alternate size but that's up to you. i've had pirelli's and toyo's on my 95 max before and they were both very kick@$$ tires- great handling, treadwear, pretty quiet for the most part too. definitely worth the $$ good luck -
Old 02-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Donating Member

I'd love to do the Pirellis from what I've heard so far, but I'm not going out of spec. I'm an Engineer myself so I know the spec is there for a reason. Plus I push the Max like it was meant to be - that's kind of why I'm starting to shy away from the Falkens.

I can't see spending $800 on the Michelins...maybe an '05 Pathfinder would solve everything...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:44 PM

IMO
1-Toyo
2-Pirelli
3-Falken
The only reason I put Toyo's first is that there cheaper and are on par in performance with the Pirellis.I love my Toyo's.great tire.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Who knows, you may like them. I trusted the 80% that did like them and the whole thing blew up in my face.

I hope when you say the tires will be in, you mean at a store that may let you take them back if you don't like them and not that you bought them online (as I did).
Well, for those interested, I received 4 Falken 512s on Tuesday and put them on yesterday - and yes, I got them online - tires.com ($98 each). I put them on a set of stock AE 17" rims and they balanced out perfectly. I immediately took them for a run on the MeadowBrook and Southern State PKWYs in NYC - the SSP is quite curvy - at triple digit speeds and I must say that I am impressed so far. No vibration whatsoever, quiet and comfortable ride, very sticky in the curves. This morning, I took a run on the Jackie Robinson Pkwy (formerly Interboro Pkwy) right thru "deadman's curve", aptly named for the extreme curves and switchbacks with concrete barriers on both sides and also the fact that it cuts right thru a cemetery. Again, the tires performed admireably, nothing fabulous, but quite stable and predictable, and no squealing at high speeds. Tonight we get snow in NYC, but I expect them to perform the same as they do on my Civic, which I prefer to drive in snow more than my 4X4. I'm not sure why some people complain about the soft sidewalls as I haven't noticed this on either of my cars with 512s, but I'm a person who prefers a good combo of comfort and performance, especially on the MAX so maybe I am biased. I've driven on Pirellis, Goodyears, Coopers, Bridgestones, & BFGs and I don't feel that the 512s sidewalls are any softer than any with the possible exception of the BFGs. Again, JMHO.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 AM

I immediately took them for a run on the MeadowBrook and Southern State PKWYs in NYC - the SSP is quite curvy - at triple digit speeds
You are a moron!Your lucky you didn't kill yourself or more important someone esle.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:03 AM

There are a few of us out there who seem to either know what we want out of tires or got "bad batches" of soft walled 512s... Dan V's review from 1010tires
"03 infiniti g35 - This tire was rated #1 by a leading consumer rating magizine. I think they forgot to test it around corners. Traction is great but the sidewalls are WAY to soft for a performance tire. It will feel like something is wrong with your suspension. After 70 miles replaced with Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Have not liked Goodyear for along time but these are awesome. If you buy the Falkens it better be for a Buick Century!"

The funny thing is, the VW R32 guys are complaining about the soft sidewalls of the F1 GS D3, so putting one and one together...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by AKANeedles
You are a moron!Your lucky you didn't kill yourself or more important someone esle.
Relax, Grandpa - I didn't say I was weaving in and out of traffic, just dropped the hammer on a couple of open stretches to check out the tires and the feel of the car. I know I'm not the only orger to do that. If a tire reacts well at extra-legal speeds, it'll probably do well at normal driving speeds as well. Do you send e-mails to car magazine reviewers calling them names? They do this all the time.

Just to be clear - I am by no means a Falken advocate. Nor am I a tire expert or professional driver. Just stating my opinion. As for reviews, for every bad review of the Falkens out there on the web, there seem to be 100 more great ones. I don' read too much into reviews, I prefer to go by my own experiences, which happen to have been good with this brand of tire.

I'm done.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:05 PM

Just buy what you feel is best for you because opinions are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Donating Member

I do a lot of Public Information Meetings for highway projects and learned early - NEVER argue with someone's opinion, you can't win since it's their OPINION.

I do appreciate the revioews from experience though. I guess it's boiling down to the F1 Gs-D3's vs. the 512's. Only question I have to answer for myself is do I spend the extra money or gamble with the mixed 512 reviews. At least (or unfortunately I guess) I have another month before the snows can come off...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the Pirellis and they're really good, great grip and very good tread life. They're also very quiet, not sure if they come in your size, but I have them in 235/45/17 and I'm very happy with them. Haven't tried neither the Toyos nor the 512s
Old 02-24-2005, 09:08 PM

I do a lot of Public Information Meetings for highway projects and learned early - NEVER argue with someone's opinion, you can't win since it's their OPINION.
Thats the best quote ive heard in a very long time i can be biased sometimes because i work for the company but i trust you to make the right decision. Alot of people love our products and a handful dont i gave up trying to alter peoples views along time ago to each their own.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 AM

Go with the Proxes, great in the rain but still have tremendous dry traction.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Team Falken
Thats the best quote ive heard in a very long time i can be biased sometimes because i work for the company but i trust you to make the right decision. Alot of people love our products and a handful dont i gave up trying to alter peoples views along time ago to each their own.
Tell the bean counters at Falken to spend a little more money and stiffen the sidewall and maybe they'll let the engineers come up with a world class tire. Not that noodle 512. Falken has the know-how as shown with the Azenis Sports sidewalls that they can. I'd pay an extra $25 a tire for better turn in and stability in the turns. Until then, I'll speak my peace against unsafe products like the 512 Falken is putting out.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 AM

Tell the bean counters at Falken to spend a little more money and stiffen the sidewall and maybe they'll let the engineers come up with a world class tire. Not that noodle 512. Falken has the know-how as shown with the Azenis Sports sidewalls that they can. I'd pay an extra $25 a tire for better turn in and stability in the turns. Until then, I'll speak my peace against unsafe products like the 512 Falken is putting out.
ill be sure to relay that message for you. i wouldnt call any all season tire a world class tire its not meant to be a high performance tire...good luck with any tire you decide on though....
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Honestly, I believe you either drive like a maniac, you got a couple of bad tires, or you just expect WAY too much from an all-season performance tire. Judging by your expectations, I'm surprised you even chose an all-season tire to begin with. Sounds like you need an ultra high-performance summer tire. But to each his own. It's up to Pangburn if he wants to take your opinion to heart. I agree that it's pointless to try to change people's opinion. Let's just say the overwhelming majority of people with 512s disagree with your review - but you are entitled.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Team Falken
i wouldnt call any all season tire a world class tire its not meant to be a high performance tire...
IIRC, Falken's website calls the 512, in it's current configuration, "Performance All Season." The treadwear rating is 360 UHP, as in "ultra high performance." Falken's definition of "ultra", "high" and "performance" must be very subjective.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:02 AM

Honestly, I believe you either drive like a maniac, you got a couple of bad tires, or you just expect WAY too much from an all-season performance tire. Judging by your expectations, I'm surprised you even chose an all-season tire to begin with. Sounds like you need an ultra high-performance summer tire. But to each his own. It's up to Pangburn if he wants to take your opinion to heart. I agree that it's pointless to try to change people's opinion. Let's just say the overwhelming majority of people with 512s disagree with your review - but you are entitled.
Believe it or not, my yardstick is the crapenza re92s. As lousy as their grip and hydroplaning was, the re92s didn't have weak sidewalls so their turn in was very good and cornering (whithin their very low limits) was predictable. 3300 miles on the 512 made me miss the sharp turn in and cornering stability of the re92s (and I got 57K miles out of them).
Old 02-25-2005, 04:40 PM

Proxes 4

They do it all reeeeeally well !
Old 02-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Donating Member

I just wish the Proxes came in 225/50. What's everyones opinion on the TPT's? I don't need the all season but if they handle good I could go that way. I'm also considering the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's @148 each. If they're good enough for C5 and C6 Vettes, they can't be a bad tire. The 280 Treadwear is a little concern though. Here's a review of the F1's for anyone interested....

http://zr1netregistry.com/F1G3D3.htm
Old 02-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Edit - sorry - my real post is below
Old 02-26-2005, 07:35 PM

I'd love to do the Pirellis from what I've heard so far, but I'm not going out of spec. I'm an Engineer myself so I know the spec is there for a reason.
[This is a real question - I'm not trying to bash!] What is the reason? other than that Nissan decided they wanted this size tire, and then set the odometer and speedometer with that info?

I have the Toyo Proxes 4, and love them! I spent a LONG time trying to decide what tire to put on, and spent longer deciding if I wanted to go "off spec". I finally did all the calculations myself with a spreadsheet (what the speedo and odometer difference would be theoretically - and they were not bad at all - only a two or three thousand miles different at 110,000 miles - and by then, if I sell it, no one will care that it really has 3000 miles less than what is reported) , and decided that the Toyos (which I personally thought were the best out there for what I wanted - AS with only occasional light to moderate snow use) were the tire for me.

When I got them, I measured the circumfrence of my least worn Potenza and the new Toyos (chalk a line in the middle of the tire, roll it bacwards three revolutions, measure the distance and divide by 3) and they were within 1.5% - meaning that the long term difference in the mileage (and car operation) will be even more negligible than I figured at first.

Personally (and I'm a medical student) the safety and performance of the ultra-high performance tire (even a little off spec) was much more important than staying "on spec" - especially when "spec" tire circumfrences can vary by %'s from one another.

All this and I didn't even get the 235/45's - I got the 225/45's (for the wheel width spec - which I do consider a safety issue).

The difference in my grip and handling are excellent - the difference in my ride quality is no worse/stiff/harsh.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Donating Member

Beeda - you brought up a good point. The 'out of spec' I'm concerned with is the width of the 235 on the OEM rims. By downsizing to the 225's resolved that issue and IMO only deal with the speedo and odometer being off a little. Everyone can debate that issue to death, I really don't care since its no longer a safety issue at least. I'm in a parrallel post regarding the Goodyear F1's and the guy there went with a 45 even though they offer the 50 in order to get a stiffer sidewall. If I can't swallow the $150 per tire for the F1's maybe I'll reconsider the Proxi's and Pirrellis with the 225/45.

Thanks for the input.