Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

I chose...Michelins

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:17 PM

I chose...Michelins

Hey guys, thanks for all your opinions on various tires! I chose to buy Michelin Hydroedges. I know they aren't performance tires or anything but they had really good reviews on tirerack.com and the tire store gave me $80 to trade in my old tires. Oh yeah and they have a super long tread life (140,000 km - about 87,000 miles). They definitely handle a lot better than my winter tires so I guess so far I'm satisfied.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM

what size did you get and are they quiet? Also....do they look good.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:46 PM

I have been doing a little research for tires. I want something that still looks good but I put a lot of miles on mine and need something that will last. I also dont like a bunch of road noise.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Did you consider the BF Goodrich Traction TA tires when you were buying the Michelin Hydroedge tires?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM

The place in town that sold BF Goodrich closed down which is too bad cause I was going to look into them. I could have bought some over the internet but the hassle of shipping/duty fees, etc. was too much of a pain. I got them in P215/55R16 size cause I have the stock 99 SE 5 spoke rims. They don't seem particularily quiet but I can only compare them to my winter tires. Road noise isn't too loud or annoying at all. They look pretty nice, but really just like ordinary tires, not too sporty or anything. They have the recessed black wording on the sidewall and have deep grooves (sipes?) for water to go through and are supposed to be really good in the rain (resisting hydroplaning)

But if you want some other opinions, look them up on Tire Rack . There are quite a few favourable reviews there and that really helped me make my decision. If you want something extremely quiet and smooth, look at the Goodyear Comfort Treads. They are also reviewed on tire rack. People are raving about their smooth, luxurious ride and quietness. Apparently they knock your gas mileage down a little bit though. They sounded intriguing.

Anyway, I bought my hydroedges here in Canada at Kal Tire. They ended up costing around $820 and have a really good warranty too. It should be well worth it if they do last as long as they're supposed to.