Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

And now for something completely different

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

And now for something completely different

The first thing I did at about 100km was too drive my car in to my trye place and changed the stock tyres 17x215x55 Dunlops to Yokohama C-Drive 17x235x45 and got them filled with nitrogen gas . These are magnificent tyres has them on my last car they are super in the wet and dry, snow we don't worry about as we only get the stuff up in very high places , heat is the major factor.

I found that tyres running with nitrogen seem to go a lot better even with a better ride and are more stable .

Is nitrogen a big issue over there or do you guys not worry about it , I can recommend it 100% ..

Old 04-17-2005, 10:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

some places have started to use it. Costco, a discount warehouse that sells everything, uses it in the tire department. It's starting to catch on.

doesn't the different size tire make it wider and lower profile? are you concerned about fitment width-wise and speedo/odometer accuarcy?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:58 AM

first time hearing..nitrogen in tires??
Old 04-17-2005, 12:26 PM

huh? People do this......
Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 PM

If I remember, some of the Muscle car guys were doing that.

Neat little article about it:

http://www.tirelast.com/id15.html

Not really something new......but not many people know about it.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the longest time race car drivers, airlines, and NASA use nitrogen in the tires. At those high speeds the last thing you want is a fire due to a tire exploding. Also Nitorgen will not allow moisture into the tire and saves on corrosion. Regular air is something like 73%-75% nitrogen but with other oxidizing gases that will eat away at the rubber and rim. Nitrogen seems to be a no brainer. Only problem is that it has not caught on everywhere yet. Most racing tire places will offer nitrogen and as Nismo mentioned so does COSTCO, but you must buy your tires from there. They will not even work on OEM tires.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:10 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by 05MAXIJJ
first time hearing..nitrogen in tires??
they run that on airplanes, I guess its lighter than air....I didn't know it would get to car tires though, thats new to me...
Old 04-17-2005, 04:19 PM

i bet there are lot of risk takeing for puting nitrogen in tires..
Old 04-17-2005, 04:20 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

i bet there are lot of risk takeing for puting nitrogen in tires..

Like what for example?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bags
Like what for example?
LOL..i m really a newbie..but thinking of my experience and hearing stuff bout nitrogen..what if i hit a pothot which i did few months ago that made 2 of my wheels and tires blow..if it was nitrogen..going at around 60 mph..wouldnt it catch on fire or anything like it??im not sure..but sounds dangerous IMO..
Old 04-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Its Nitrogen not Nitrous Oxide

I've been running Nitrogen in my tyres for over 6months and its brillant, got them checked just the other week and there is NO loss in pressure

the main advantage of running nitrogen is that it doesn't leak as fast as air does.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:22 PM
GrandPa

Ganin tires in Brooklyn does it. I think it is 5 dollars a tire. I am going to go there one day this week and check it out. Later Warren

Old 04-17-2005, 06:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

LOL..i m really a newbie..but thinking of my experience and hearing stuff bout nitrogen..what if i hit a pothot which i did few months ago that made 2 of my wheels and tires blow..if it was nitrogen..going at around 60 mph..wouldnt it catch on fire or anything like it??im not sure..but sounds dangerous IMO..
What is your experience with nitrogen?

Try researching why Airplanes have been using Nitrogen for 20 something years.

"Nitrogen in the elemental form was considered to be inert and was even named ozote which refers to the fact that it is not reactive."
Old 04-17-2005, 08:36 PM

I have done over 50,000km with nitrogen filled tyres and I can recommend it as the first and cheapest thing that should be modded on a new car. THis especially applies if you live in hot climates and drive long high speed runs as the tyre pressure remains more constant that normal air filled tyres.

Over here in Aussie nearly all the biggest tyres dealers offer it for like $5 extra with new tyre changes and such.

You can tell the cars filled with nitrogen as the valve stem caps are Red.

The change in my tyre size puts my speedo out by 3km I can live with that as the other option was 235x 50 and only Perrellie and One other tyre come in that size over here and both were total rubbish tyres..

Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Doc

I'll have to ask my tire guy about this when my tires come in. I highly doubt he has or knows of anyone locally who has a nitro generator/pump, but it seems worth asking. The U.S. is famous for planned obsolescence. It is good business to keep secrets like this from the public in order for our economy to keep wearing things out like tires. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but catching on slowly to things that can save countless hard-earned dollars peeves me. Our country still isn't on-board with tankless water heaters for homes. They've been used in Asia and Europe for years because of efficiency, etc. You think the old U.S. has caught on? Nope, just let the consumer waste energy and water heaters...
Old 04-17-2005, 11:41 PM

Wow.... Never thought something like that would come up..
Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 PM

Will definitely try to find some places around here that offer service like that?

P.S. If a MOD is reading this: could you please just give me enough post counts to create threads? This is getting annoying not being able to communicate with people normally....
Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 AM

LOL..im really a newbie..but thinking of my experience and hearing stuff bout nitrogen..what if i hit a pothot which i did few months ago that made 2 of my wheels and tires blow..if it was nitrogen..going at around 60 mph..wouldnt it catch on fire or anything like it??im not sure..but sounds dangerous IMO..
You'e thinking about Hydrogen and not Nitrogen. Hydrogen would be very dangerous. Nitrogen is very safe because there is no oxygen inside of the tire to support combustion.

I was not aware that you can get nitrogen in your tires for about $5 per tire. Sounds like a good buy and worth researching to find a tire dealer who will do this.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Proof
Will definitely try to find some places around here that offer service like that?

P.S. If a MOD is reading this: could you please just give me enough post counts to create threads? This is getting annoying not being able to communicate with people normally....

They don't even need a compressor or anything they just have a big tank of the stuff just like an Oxygen bottle for a Oxy welding unit and they just fill em up and guess they replace the take every 300 sets of tyres or something...

I cannot belive that in a place as advanced as the US they keep something as simple as this that saves lives out of the general marketplace ...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 AM

You're thinking of Hydrogen.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:08 AM

The main advantage of Nitrogen is that the volume of the gas inside the tire is not affected by temperature, barometric pressure or weight put on it. Thats' why they are being considered on a lot of places where the temperature swings a lot during the day, like 80 degrees at noon and 30 at midnight. Also the Nitrogen particles are bigger than the air normally used, so it's less possible to have leaking unless your tire is teared. Bad thing: the tire will also be a little heavier when filled with N.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Proof

go here about your nonposting abilities

im def gonna try to get nitrogen in my tires, it sounds smart and even sounds cool.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Some of my friends have had the "nitrogen" fill for a year now. They give you funky green valve caps.

What are the effects of using "regular" gas station air to top off a tire originally filled with nitrogen?

Jae