Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Nitrogen Tire Inflation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 AM

Nitrogen Tire Inflation?

I has Costco rotate my tires the other day and they filled my tired with Nitrogen. When I had my oil changed the other day they wouldn't check my tire pressure because it was full of nitrogen.

What is the purpose for using nitrogen? Am I stuck with nitrogen or can I mix with oxygen to fill my tires next time?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 AM

Where did you buy the tires - at Costco? Do you not own a tire guage and check your own tire pressure? Ask Costco what the purpose is in filling with nitrogen. I would be inclined to use one or the other, but not both.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:41 AM

it expands less, it doesnt leak as easily, it wont promote rust, and it will rake in cash for them

Dont forget the air we breathe has over 70% n2 in it.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most tire places (Dunn Tire fo sho) are switching over to useing N2 b/c recent studies show that oxygen can penetrate the rubber of a tire over time. They say that rubber is more of a membrane and oxygen can slowly "leak" out of the tire over time causing the inflation presure to go low.

I'm sure most of us have experienced this, hence why you should check your tire pressure during an oil change.

I don't see any reason why a garage wouldn't check your tire pressure just b/c it's filled with N2, and how would they even know anyway.

Tire places are calling this the "wave of the future" in tire inflation so whatever garage doesn't accept it is going to have some problems down the road
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM

I bought my Michelins (MXV4 plus) at Costco and had them filled with nitrogen. I was told that N is a larger molecule than O2 so there will be less seepage over time. They put green caps on the valve
stems instead of black.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:47 AM

is dunn only here in rochester?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Interesting stuff - never heard of this before...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 AM

Run a line to your tire and wala you have NAWZ. lol. I've never heard this before the org is full of info.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:02 PM

He is right, my friend just did this with his rx8 and told me about the same benefits. He told me I should do it before the winter because I won't have to worry about the temperature affecting the pressure of my tires.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by McNasty360
He is right, my friend just did this with his rx8 and told me about the same benefits. He told me I should do it before the winter because I won't have to worry about the temperature affecting the pressure of my tires.

OH MY GAWD.....Winter air??!!...

Stop the planet, I want to get off.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM

It's weird because my tires are at 28 psi, the whole reason for Nitrogen is so air doesnt seap out as easy. Yet my tires are low, unless they didnt fill it all the way.
Take a look around and youll find some info on this Nitro thing.
I have the green caps too. I took my car to Grease Monkey and they said I had the Nitro green caps so they didnt check the pressure. Weak. Now I don't know if I should just put air in it or take it to Costco to fill them.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by McNasty360
I don't see how Nitrogen is immune in winter... its a gas, and the cooler temps will affect it just like it any other air...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

how do you know they used nitrogen?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by NookieMax
I don't see any reason why a garage wouldn't check your tire pressure just b/c it's filled with N2, and how would they even know anyway.
Nitrogen has a different density. The gauge would have to be recalibrated appropriately.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Nitrogen has a different density. The gauge would have to be recalibrated appropriately.
exactly, anyone taking a science class will know this. Also Nitrogen is less prone to change in pressure from temperature than oxygen, hence why ppl say its nice to have in the winter.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by sean33
It's weird because my tires are at 28 psi, the whole reason for Nitrogen is so air doesnt seap out as easy. Yet my tires are low, unless they didnt fill it all the way.
Take a look around and youll find some info on this Nitro thing.
I have the green caps too. I took my car to Grease Monkey and they said I had the Nitro green caps so they didnt check the pressure. Weak. Now I don't know if I should just put air in it or take it to Costco to fill them.
You don't have enough air in your tires. Consequently your fuel economy and tread wear is being adversely affected. Look under the lid in your center console for the correct tire pressure or ask Costco what the recommended tire pressure should be for the tires you have. I would try at least 33 front and 32 rear - at least that's what my SE takes.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:00 PM
BK1
Hello

It's for cheezy people that don't check their pressures every couple of weeks. Also for people who never change oil. It's a gimmick.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Last time I checked, pressure was pressure. I dont think density of a gas matters to the gauge. A tire at 30psi with air will have the same number of molecules as a tire with 30psi nitrogen.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Getting back to his roots

Holy ****! There is so much mis-information here it is giving me a headache. Here are some clarifications:

- Pressure is pressure, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean there are the same # of molecules exerting that pressure in the tire. Regardless, no "re-calibration" of the gauge is necessary. I use pressure gauges at work all the time and they can be used on any fluid (corrosive issues aside), and will give the same pressure.

- Molecular nitrogen (N2, the kind found in air) and molecular oxygen (O2) have approximately the same size. Look at the bond lengths: 1.1 A for N2, 1.2 A for O2. Atomic radii: 0.75 A for N, 0.73A for O. Don't forget that nitrogen has an Mw of 28, vs 32 for oxygen. However, oxygen may diffuse more quickly through tire rubber than nitrogen, it is dependent on the kinetics of the diffusion. But in theory, nitrogen would diffuse faster than oxygen through an orifice of the same size.

- At the temperatures and pressures a tire sees, both gases can be considered IDEAL and therefore all of this density and pressure difference talk is moot.

The only tangible benefits I see to using nitrogen is the purity and dryness of it. Water vapor and oxygen are reactive relative to nitrogen, and they can oxidize the rubber inside the tire, reducing the life. Also, because the nitrogen is more consistent than compressed air, it could provide a more stable pressure over varying environmental conditions. But, I think it is mostly a way for tire shops to make some easy money (like the $500 wintercoating dealers like to sell you).
Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Miz is right and he knows his stuff.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah.... but AIR is around 78% Nitrogen Already...... Working in the automotive industry, I have been privy to Nitrogen Air movement.... I hate to be shallow... But, the big picture.... if you succumb to this... then pretty much you are at the mercy of Nitrogen Pumps.... here look at this,

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=120996&page=1
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Way out West

My Infiniti came with green caps, so I am assuming it has nitrogen inside. I have checked the air several times and there has been no change. I bought it this spring and now it's almost fall.

It's probably not worth the money, but if the price of it goes down to like a buck a tire, it probably wouldn't be too bad a thing to use. I have also read about the stuff Mizeree was talking about, not being able to corrode the inside of the tire and wheel.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:18 PM

So does this mean every time you need to fill your tires you got to take it to the shop?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by gtmuggs
So does this mean every time you need to fill your tires you got to take it to the shop?
That's a good question.

I will have to see if my local Les Schwab has nitrogen and what they charge to adjust the pressure, if I need to add more. I just bought my Infiniti this spring and have only driven it about 3k miles or so.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In theory you wouldn't need to adjust the pressure of your tires if their filled with N2 b/c the pressure shouldn't change.

If your pressure continues to decrease, then you tire needs to be resealed around rim.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
SuPeRmOd

i switched my cars to N2. all you have to do is nitrogen tires.

yea if you want, you can add compressed air to top off your N2 tires. It's almost impossible to get only N2 in them to begin with. some "regular" air still sat in them while filling.