Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Thinking about switching my 20's out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:43 AM
*moderator*

Thinking about switching my 20's out...

Well some of you have seen my car with my old wheels (which I still love the look of) And I was thinking about getting back into the "mesh" look. I've never really been a chrome bling/bling type guy anyways, although it has grown on me!!
So here's a pic of my old wheels:

These were ADR's (crap) but I was thinking of getting the Ace Klassics
http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/ace/klassik.htm

What do you guys think????
Old 09-05-2005, 10:54 AM

if ur gonna do that red line kit, you deff need to be rid of the chrome! just my .02!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:01 AM

I like chrome but not the Pimp My Ride bling. Your old rims and the new ones you are looking at are what I'd go for. Its is more upscale like a BMW 540 with a nice chrome lip for a little bling and I've always loved those rims.

I vote to switch to the new rims that you posted.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:18 AM

Not bad at all..
Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I always wondered why you made the swap in the first place... i liked the car the old way also, but i also like the chrome one's..

I think chrome gets lost and don't stick out as much on light colored cars.. that redmax kit will be aggresive looking I assume when painted, so the racy wheels will go with the theme..

I still think our cars are big and don't have those racing characteristics for some racing wheels..

but, it looks good either way... get 20's or better though.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

JSmith,

Would you be using your current tires? Im guessing you would, then it wouldnt cost TOO much to swap out your rims, at least get some $$ for your chromies.

I always liked the look of your old rims. I undertand the quality was bad, but the look is great. I say go for it. Have you looked at the Axis Mesh or Supermesh? (I can only vouch for Axis, my sevenmods were great, and I got a good resale value for them)

Im still lurkling around waiting to see your new bumper!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:17 PM

That's a good look for your car: understated and tasteful.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have to agree with jayzmax. axis rims are durable. i've ran over a lot of "my rims are f*cked" potholes, but cames through without a scratch.

here's a silver mbz e-500 with axis supermesh

Old 09-05-2005, 02:15 PM

i don't think the supermesh come in 20" though....
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM

http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/penta/axis_penta.jpg

these are close to your choice, and they come in 20's! and they look hot!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:15 PM

You know I like the mesh - it will look SWEET with your new kit
Old 09-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

i really like the old look.

don't get offended, I really don't like the chrome ones you have right now.
just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:49 PM

the mesh look will go better with the new bumper. so, what are you thinking jay? the axis penta looks pretty good also
Old 09-05-2005, 06:35 PM

hey...I'd say go for the mesh. I'm with you on not liking the chrome.

Oh and has anyone told you that you're a WHEEL *****!!! LOL!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:50 PM

I liked the older ones better. It goes better with the silver. If the car was black or a dark color chrome looks nice.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 PM

I'm a huge fan of Axis wheels. If I was in the market for new wheels I'd buy a set of staggered 20x9 35et and 20x10 40et. Axis makes plenty of wheels in that fitment. The Penta of VIP would look killer on your car. Infact i'd get the VIPs for sure...the look great on this Q. I know the "VIP" look hasn't hit the states the way it has in Japan but you can't argue the fact that car looks bad ***!

Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
i have to agree with jayzmax. axis rims are durable. i've ran over a lot of "my rims are f*cked" potholes, but cames through without a scratch.

here's a silver mbz e-500 with axis supermesh

Wow that kit looks terrible...people will do anything to look different
Old 09-05-2005, 08:25 PM

budnick make a nice mesh wheel that is also light weight. i also am a fan of the adr
m-sports.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 PM
*moderator*

Well it looks pretty unanimous, might be time to start shopping...

if ur gonna do that red line kit, you deff need to be rid of the chrome! just my .02!
I agree that it would be a better/cleaner look with the body kit coming.

I always wondered why you made the swap in the first place... i liked the car the old way also, but i also like the chrome one's..
I think chrome gets lost and don't stick out as much on light colored cars
The old ones were defective and then discontinued...I agree about the chrome it does get lost...

Would you be using your current tires? Im guessing you would, then it wouldnt cost TOO much to swap out your rims, at least get some $$ for your chromies.
Yes I will be using my current tires, how much do you guys think I could get for my rims? They are in perfect condition, not a scratch!! Any offers?

i don't think the supermesh come in 20" though....
They don't, that's what I wanted way back when I was getting wheels, no 20's

http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/penta/axis_penta.jpg
these are close to your choice, and they come in 20's! and they look hot!
The site says 20's available soon, and 20x9 means I'd have to get new tires correct? And would they even fit? And I'm trying to keep in a decent price range.

Infact i'd get the VIPs for sure...the look great on this Q. I know the "VIP" look hasn't hit the states the way it has in Japan
Yeah not feeling the VIP's for sure...that Q is nice though!

i also am a fan of the adr
m-sports.
Yeah my first wheel were ADR's had a baaaad experience with them!!!

I was also looking at the ASA's, these are nice...

Thanks again for all the feedback, I think I now know what I need to do...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:44 AM

Hey guys, sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to ask a question about wheels. I've had 3 cars, but have never installed aftermarket wheels on them. I really like the look on those Axis Mesh or Supermesh, and I think they look like they belong to my max, following the path I'm going with it (classy, sporty, not demanding attention).

Now the questions are: How much would I be paying for 20" wheels of this kind? How much for the tires? Can I buy the tires, installed and balanced in any Pep Boys around? Will I need to drop the car after installing the 20's? Are they going to be as durable as the stock wheels? Will getting this aftermarkets void any warranty?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Wakkus_Maximus

Now the questions are: How much would I be paying for 20" wheels of this kind? How much for the tires? Can I buy the tires, installed and balanced in any Pep Boys around? Will I need to drop the car after installing the 20's? Are they going to be as durable as the stock wheels? Will getting this aftermarkets void any warranty?

Thanks for your help.

Just search around for pricing, you can spend anywhere from $1500 up to $4000 out the door, just depends what you want.
Not sure about PepBoys selection but I'm sure there's other places around for you to go to.
I would drop the car although you don't need to (but the gap in front is gross. Eibachs will run you a few hundred.
When you go up in size, the tire gets smaller which means more chances of bending a wheel etc..but overall durability should be fine.
I've been told that wheels won't void any warranty unless the dealer can prove that the problem was caused by the aftermarket wheels.
Hope this helps, hi-hacker!!!
J
Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
KC's FINEST

Jsmith, what size tires are you running now?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Jsmith, what size tires are you running now?
245/35/20 You got PM
Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 PM

I was talking about what would be the best (most durable) "mesh" style wheel on 20" on the market, and what would be the price. I mentioned PepBoys because I would uy tires with warranty, at this size they are just too expensive.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:24 AM

It's hard to believe you want to get rid of your chrome dubs, but hey, if you don't like it anymore then make a change. However, giving up people constantly staring at your ride may be disappointing. Not to say they won't stare at it without chrome wheels, but it just won't grab their attention as much. Seriously, 2 out of every 3 cars I pass on the highway when I'm on the road are "rubber necking" trying to see the Dizzle and what's up with it. A big reason for that is the 20 inch bling. Anyway, good luck with your choice, if you are looking for the more subtle look, with your silver color, check out some phat black wheels. They would look tight! If you go back to the silver mesh, I'm sure it will look nice also. PEACE...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:57 AM
andymax95

ditch the chrome and go with mesh, gives it more of a tuner look ( with the new front end) then the "gangsta look"

You don't need chrome to draw attention, if you tastefully upgrade your car it will look good from top to bottom. and flow well.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by maxdizzle1
Seriously, 2 out of every 3 cars I pass on the highway when I'm on the road are "rubber necking" trying to see the Dizzle and what's up with it. A big reason for that is the 20 inch bling.
Uhhhhh. Kentucky?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM

Please don't tell me you are trying to crack Jay! I was nice to you and your ***WEAKLY**** modified Max when you had one. As a matter of fact, I travel to court in Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington and to other big towns Jay and yes, they be trippin' on it! No, maybe us rednecks down here in Kentucky aren't HIGH SOCIETY like you fellas in Texas, please............It must be only the rednecks that like the bling, huh????? And yes, they all be freakin' on the Dizzle, believe it! No, it's not a stock overpriced ride like you got now, but it does the job!! Don't hate Jay!!! PEACE and don't make me respond again, I was being nice this time.......
Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM

Please don't tell me you are trying to crack Jay! I was nice to you and your ***WEAKLY**** modified Max when you had one. As a matter of fact, I travel to court in Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington and to other big towns Jay and yes, they be trippin' on it! No, maybe us rednecks down here in Kentucky aren't HIGH SOCIETY like you fellas in Texas, please............It must be only the rednecks that like the bling, huh????? And yes, they all be freakin' on the Dizzle, believe it! No, it's not a stock overpriced ride like you got now, but it does the job!! Don't hate Jay!!! PEACE and don't make me respond again, I was being nice this time.......
LOL, watch out Jay. I would much rather drive a M45 over a 6th gen ANY day of the week. I dunno what to say about the WEAKLY modified comment, his max looked better than yours did.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:26 PM
*moderator*

dizzle,
I never really wanted chrome rims, I had to settle with these to get out of all the drama with my old wheels. And here in Cali, every stinking car has bling. Every soccer mom has 22's on her Tahoe or Mercedes. And personally I don't care if everybody rubber necks, it's all about me me me! Sound selfish? Heck yeah!
We'll see how it pans out, the deal I found doesn't exist because those rims don't even come in 20" (they e-mailed me back and fixed they're website)
So the search continues...

And for the record, the Max would be gone in a second if I could get an M45.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:30 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

you guys wanna talk about rubber neck'n... spin these 22's on main street lol...

whatever you choose Jay we are with ya.........
Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Ya, like I can resist this...

"Dont make me respond again"..... [edit] You wouldnt like me when im angry!!!

Incredible Hulkizzle, really, thank you so much for being nice to me, especially when I had my weakly modified Maxima.

I couldnt have gone on without your supportizzle. I have to admit, it was really tough competing with you. I only had 1 out of 3 people on the freeways rubbernecking for my weak ride.

JSmith, (back on topic) hope to see some new rims!! I know how it is to get the itch....you wont stop thinking about it now.....but you do have a bad a*ss front end to drool over!

Have you thought about freakin' some HP Evoizzles?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:48 PM

dam the original rims look soo much better! especially you have a kit now its going to look hot
Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Such a weak response warrants only a brief reply. Please be more creative with your "Izzle" use. At least more creative than the wheels on your old Max you BIT off about 10 other 6th Gen owners, including the guy on this thread! LOL.... Yes, I did support you by never voting you down when I knew and others knew that your Max was not as TIGHT as mine!

Anyway, with respect to the subject at hand, I do think the webs will look tight if you get them. I also realize that tons of people have big wheels on their Suv's, etc... However, there does not seem to be nearly as many people with big phat chrome wheels on a sports sedan that has the crazy look of the Maxima!

I had almost the exact same webs back in highschool in 1989 when I had a 1988 white Mustang GT with matching 17 Inch white American Racing web wheels with a chrome lip. My pops had a '90 GT Black on black with the same wheels. They were very phat and it was definitely my 2nd favorite ride of all time. Good luck, I'm sure it'll be sweet whatever you decide! PEACE OUT......
Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

I gotta drive that M45 to see what all the fuss is about, I don't think it *looks* $20,000 more than a 6th gen from the outside...I mean, loaded it comes kinda close to the MBZ CLS500 sedan w/a 7speed auto and 5.6 sec 0-60 time...its just that the M seems too understated? I dont know...on the topic definately ditch the chrome rims, I didnt wanna say anything but they are a pretty bad looking design (not terrible) and the chrome is kinda tacky IMO...you had the best looking wheels before and went to the worst...go back to the mesh!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Banned

Ok to be fair the CLS500 is atleast $15,000 more than an M45....but when you are in that price range it becomes less an issue...I just think the CLS is God's gift to sedan's (Its hot).
Old 09-10-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Ok to be fair the CLS500 is atleast $15,000 more than an M45....but when you are in that price range it becomes less an issue...I just think the CLS is God's gift to sedan's (Its hot).
I agree, the CLS is just breathtaking. I will sometimes miss my exit driving next to one on the freeway. I would love to drive one, but thats what happened when "just for kicks" I test drove the M. You see how that turned out.

BTW, this was never about an M being any better/worse/less/more than any other car.

SOMEHOW it got turned into that....perhaps by a sensitive someone who actually cared about the rankings in cardomain enough to harbor resentments.......wow.

Maximas are bad a*ss vehicles, I loved my weakly modded Max, and actually miss it. I have much respect for them.

Sorry Jsmith, I wasnt going to respond again, but I had to clear that up.

How is that front end? Still going out daily (hourly) to stare at it???

Come to any decisions on the rims?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
*moderator*

Geez, just wanted opinions on rims...you guys are nuts!!
And no, haven't seen my car since Thursday, I'm working a trade show and my car has been in Westin valet since then...hurting sooo bad.
Tomorrow I get to see the Max...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Yeah thats a shame people care so much about cardomain....I like to share info on here...but cardomain is more to simply show of and brag, so its going to naturally get people angry here and there. Sorry to jack the thread btw.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 AM

You are right Jsmith, I'm nuts, over my Maxima! LOL! Jay, please, your responses are becoming laughable.

Quote from Jayzmax04 :: SOMEHOW it got turned into that....perhaps by a sensitive someone who actually cared about the rankings in cardomain enough to harbor resentments.......wow. **

Please, I never turned it into a discussion about your STOCK OVERPRICED ride! I made a legitimate comment and opinion regarding Jsmith's wheel selection thread and Jayzmax04 tried to make a crack about my state. I simply put him in his place and CRACKED back on his rides. It sounds like Jay likes to dish out the medicine but really doesn't like to take it. If you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen kid!

Also, with respect to the Cardomain site. Don't lie and say you didn't care about the rankings. PLEASE! However, I didn't hate on you for being ahead of me on the site. I only PUNKED you when you tried to make fun and pointed out the FACT that your Max is not as Phat, yet you were ranked ahead of me!! Please give it up! Seriously, what other ridiculous response is next!! PEACE........

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching my 20's out...