Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

what is the difference ?? FWD/RWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM

what is the difference ?? FWD/RWD

ok, so i know you should get the right tires if your car is rear wheel drive or if it is forward wheel drive. but what is the difference when getting rims ?? arent all four rims the same ?? if the rims where different sizes, when you buy only one they would ask you wethre it is for the rear or the front but they dont. so ...

well, i am looking into buying these rims...they only come in 22 and 24. i want the 22 actually i didnt wanna go any higher than 20 but these are the rims i want no option here (unless they just dont fit... ) and they are telling me these rims are only for rear wheel drive vehicles.

is that right ??

one more thing. all of you who have 22'', (my car is a SL..stock suspension) will the ride be affected ?? i really dont want to have tire rubbing when turning and/or my car is loaded with family. any help in this matter will be greatly appreciate it. it took me a while to find these rims...i want them...badly !! help...

luigi
Old 09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FWD is a High Positive Offset Wheel typically +35 to +45 Offset

RWD is a Negative or Zero Offset Wheel typically +0 to +20 Offset

Offset is a measurement for where the mounting of the wheel will be in reference to the outer or inner edge of the wheel. As see bellow in the diagram a FWD wheel is mounted at the outside of the wheel(Flush), where as a RWD wheel is mounted in the center or all the way in, thus making the wheels stick out a bit.

So if you are going for the mexican pickup truck look get the RWD wheels no offense to my mexican friends

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...01&postcount=1

this message brought to you by the letter b and
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....do_I_have_.cfm
Old 09-07-2005, 01:24 PM

i say get them and then fabricate a wide body kit.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:05 PM

'one more thing. all of you who have 22'', (my car is a SL..stock suspension) will the ride be affected ?? i really dont want to have tire rubbing when turning and/or my car is loaded with family"

Then don't get 22's and 24's - lol!. They aren't made for hauling family around in. Your ride will be ALOT harsher and I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have rubbing at least in the back if you have it loaded with peeps. Unless you are looking to build a show car, I wouldn't recommend going over 20's. DEFINITLEY don't get the RWD wheels if the tire place is saying not to.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:40 PM

sucks big time...man, i had my car fro like 4 months now the first thing i wanted to replace was the rims but not for just any rims. till i found the rims i really wanted and now they dont fit...sucks big time.

well, thank you so much for making this so much more clear to me. thank.

about the 22s, i dont really have my whole family with me every day but like one weekend at month or so but i still dont want to be rubbing. but oh well, i guess it wont be rubbing now that i cant get this rims...man...did i mention how much it sucks ?? yeah it sucks...

luigi
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Plenty of rims out there - I know it sucks to find a set and not be able to get them. Took me a LONG time and a LOT of research but it was well worth it in the end. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:59 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

on stock suspention the 22's will rub on the rear everytime you hit a bump, even with rolled fenders if you get 22x9 35 offset like me.. they will also rub when you "U" turn, this cannot be stopped unless you cut or romove the wheel wells..

what i had to do was get coils and adjust them to a hard setting and a swaybar so it don't roll when I turn hard..

that took care of it, i've had 2 adults and 2 children back there with no problem at all, but you won't be able to do that with a stock suspension.. you will have to get a drop anyways cause the front will look ridiculous, it will sit 2.5 inches off the tire while the rear hugs in the tire..

to get 22's won't be that easy, you will have to spend extra to get it to look good and get the rubbing out... it rides real good with stock suspension by the way, its just to soft for that big of rim.. take it from me..