Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Awful tire wear - maybe bent rim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Awful tire wear - maybe bent rim?

I need a new set of tires after 31k. They are Falken Ziex 512 and I keep them at 32 front/30 rear. I have uneven wear in multiple ways. All tires are wearing more on the inside, the car pulls to the right, and the right front tire has uneven wear on the inside (i mean the inside is not worn evenly all the way around). I also have a vibration. I jacked my car up and the right front tire is not perfectly round. I swapped out the rims/tires and the car was perfect - no pull or vibration. I am afraid to buy new tires and have the same thing happen. Does it sound like I need a camber kit? I have a lifetime alignment and keep it aligned so I don't think the toe is a problem.

On to the rims, I have been told before that I have a bent rim but I think its BS. How true should the edge of the rim be when the tire is spinning? I jacked my car up, put it in drive, and watched the lip of the rim. It is not perfect but I think they are OK - how much variation should there be?

I want to fix everything but I don't want to ruin a new set of tires because of a bad rim/camber problem. I can post pics of the tires if anyone wants to see them.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well if all the tires are wearing on the inside, it could be a camber or a toe problem. I recommend getting an alignment done.

As for the one wheel/tire, it could be an out of round tire. If the wheel doesn't look bent, it's "probably" okay. I'd point to the tire 1st and the wheel 2nd. But it could be the wheel. Just more unlikely.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:42 AM

31K on the 512s? Consider yourself lucky.

Before you spend your $$$ on decent tires (e.g., not Falkens), have the car realigned and check the RF strut. Actuall, check them all. I bet they are shot. Go to a place that has a Hunter Roadforce machine to balance. They'll be able to tell you if the bent rim is an issue.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 AM

The toe should never be a problem since I have lifetime alignment and I keep it up to date. I don't want to spend money on a roadforce balance with these old tires. I guess I will buy new tires (not Falkens but I am not unhappy with them), have an alignment done, and make sure the camber/toe are within spec. How do you check a strut? I have about 60k on my KYB AGXs with a Maxspeed drop.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:08 PM

What I meant was to realign it since you don't want to buy new tires and not check the alignment (I just went thru this last night w/ my wife's minivan).

The quick and dirty way of checking is to push down on the fender over the wheel and watch the rebound. If the shock is shot, it will rebound more than once. You can also have a buddy drive alongside and watch the wheel to see if it hops uncontrolably over bumps.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 PM

The struts are all fine (at least as far as I can tell). I swapped out the tires for the fronts on my mom's I35 and the car did not pull or vibrate. The problem is either my tires or my wheels, or both. The car pulled before and after my latest alignement and I will get another when as soon as I get new tires.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:38 PM

Hey guys sorry I have a couple of noob quesitons.....recently while I was driving for like 20 minutes (blasted music) I realized my passenger rear tire was making all these crazy loud sound and smelled funny after I hit the streets.......I dunno much about tire but I knew something was wrong, I touch the tire and it seem like it was losing air....i thought it was a flat so I brang it to the shop to fix the tire. However, the mechanic said the tire was unfixable and it was not a flat. He wasnt able to fix the wheel because the inside got all messed up so I had to buy a new tire (Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE (VR) ) 215/55/17....I told my dad that the wheel felt funny and shaky before this but the ironic thing was it was on the driver rear side that I felt the little minor shaking, but somehow the passenger rear got messed up first....so few weeks later ... So today I brang my car to change my oil in the Exxon Mobil gas station....when the mechanic lifted up the car he realized one my tire was no good (driver rear) ...he told me I was gonna have problems soon if i kept on driving because the tire is melting inside?...so I had to buy another tire.....same tire Cooper Lifeliner...first purchase was 144$ and then 127$

1) I didnt get a chance to ask the mechanic, but how do the tire melt inside? Is this consider the tire wearing out? How can I tell if a tire is wearing out?
2) In addition, he put both of the Cooper Tires and mount them into the front wheels..and took the front 2 and put it in the back..he told me it was better.....but now since driving it feel different and the back feel wierd? He told me the 2 tires were still decent Why would it be better to put the good tires in front since the rear wheels seem like the ones getting mess up...just wondering?
3) Are the wheel I am purchasing good since it seem expensive? The first time the passenger rear tire got messed up, the shop only had that tire, so I had to buy that tire.....And is my width and profile good for a maxima? It seem many people in this forum have a profile of 45>.... And say if I change the profile or width, will it be able to still fit the rims if it r17? What would be the best width and profile?

Sorry for all these noob questions..but thanks!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by alanalan
a new tire (Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE (VR) ) 215/55/17....
This is where your problem started. YOu have the wrong size. Standard size for an SE is 225/50/17.

Your first step is to get an ALIGNMENT. Then buy a new set of tires with the size of 225/50/17.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 AM

1) Read his profile. He's got a GLE and 215/55R17 is the correct size.

2) My guess is that he drove on a very low tire (whatever the cause). Twenty minutes is more than enough to overheat a low tire and trash it.