Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tires Unbalanced because of snowstorm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Tires Unbalanced because of snowstorm?

Huge snowstorm a couple days ago. Got my Max stuck in deep snow twice. The next day I notice that when I drive 50mph or above my whole car vibrates violently. Freaked the **** outta me! Anyone experience anything similar to this after a snowstorm? Is some snow just stuck in my tire?

Otherwise... when i left it overnight and started it up the next day, I think a bit of my tire was FROZEN to the pavement since I heard a "pop" kinda sound when i backed out... I think it was the tire ripping free from the ice. Would this possibly throw my tire off balence?

I'm riding on 17" stock alloys.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ice and snow can get stuck on the inside of the rim causing it to be unbalanced. It'll melt out eventually.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:42 AM
2-Wheelin it...

ditto...happened one nite here in NYC, oddly enough there were 5 threads the very next day about the same thing....just kick the ice off the rim.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
ditto...happened one nite here in NYC, oddly enough there were 5 threads the very next day about the same thing....just kick the ice off the rim.
Yeap, scraped a lot of ice off the insides of rims (behind spokes) and everythings smooth and normal on the highway now.

But I'm seriously considering getting a set of normal rims with snow tires just for winter weather... good idea?

BTW PoLo... ur avatar is crazy in-your-face.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
It's business time.

Almost every time I drive home during the winter this happens. Park it in a heated garage over night = problem solved. Stock 17s are easily susceptible to snow packing.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:39 PM

I use to have a lot of that $hit but I got rid of the problem, no more snow for the max it stay in the garage for the winter.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
I use to have a lot of that $hit but I got rid of the problem, no more snow for the max it stay in the garage for the winter.
Well thanks for not addressing my question. Obviously if I park it in a heated garage overnight it'll melt any snow/ice and problem solved. I'm in an apartment and do not have garage parking so my max is always outdoors.

I guess what I'm saying is do people with regular rims and hubcaps ever run into this problem? I'm guessing they don't...
Old 02-21-2006, 07:00 AM

Hit the car wash with the manual spray, and clean them out. Happens all the time to me as I too have to park outside. I also just go in with a pair of gloves on before driving after each snowfall. This way it does not have a chance to pack and freeze, requireing a car wash.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Skier
Hit the car wash with the manual spray, and clean them out. Happens all the time to me as I too have to park outside. I also just go in with a pair of gloves on before driving after each snowfall. This way it does not have a chance to pack and freeze, requireing a car wash.
Car wash is a no go - I tried something like that at first... poured hot water on my rims to try and thaw them out... Froze INSTANTLY. It made things worse... covered my tires and rims in a sheet of ice. Damn WI winters Imagine what would happen if I tried a car wash...

I take it that since everyones telling me ALL the alternatives besides getting regular rims, that its a bad idea?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:26 PM

I didnt believe it could happen till it happened to me. Just kicked the ice out that was on the inside of the rim.

Problem solved

James
Old 02-21-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimmycapp
I didnt believe it could happen till it happened to me. Just kicked the ice out that was on the inside of the rim.

Problem solved

James
zzzZZZzzZZZzz... thanks man, but did you read anything that was said in this thread?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:58 PM

The problem has lessened since I got winters with 16" steelies. I still have the problem once in a while though.