Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 PM

Alignment question

About a month or so ago I had my car lowered and drove on it with no alignment done and there was no shaking of the steering wheel or any weird noises/controls.

Just yesterday I had new tires installed and noticed that the wear on my old tires(which I drove maybe a thousand miles or more since lowering it) were very symmetrical/evenly worn.

The new tires don't have a shimmy at any speed...80+ and it was good.

So main question...should I still get an alignment or is there no point since my camber is off and the tires showed even wear?

thanks
dan
Old 11-25-2006, 10:21 PM

last time i had my car alignment after i replaced my drive axles. I had to replace them again because somehow a brand new axle had a hole in it after my visit. The alignment place was the only place I brought my car too. Also I read somewhere a while back 90% of shops don't do alignment's correctly or at all. So do what you want but if your not having any problems then.... but if you decide to get one, make sure they do it, right!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Either make sure they do it right the first time, or buy a lifetime alignment from someplace like Firestone. If there's not shimmy or pull to either side or uneven/odd tire wear, then I wouldn't bother with an alignment.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Lowering the ride height causes the front toe to go severely outwards.
You will ware the inside edge of your tires fast, not to mention the fact that your handling isn't top notch until you have the front end set up correctly after a suspension overhaul.

It's amazing that after a complete suspension install and/or ride height change people don't think they need an alignment. Seriously, WTF are you guys thinking? Just because it drives straight and doesn't shake, does not mean it's set up correctly.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM

Just FYI uneven tire wear is unnoticeable to naked eye unless its really bad.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Lowering the ride height causes the front toe to go severely outwards.
You will ware the inside edge of your tires fast, not to mention the fact that your handling isn't top notch until you have the front end set up correctly after a suspension overhaul.

It's amazing that after a complete suspension install and/or ride height change people don't think they need an alignment. Seriously, WTF are you guys thinking? Just because it drives straight and doesn't shake, does not mean it's set up correctly.
But my tires weren't anywhere visibly close to un-even wear. And what do you mean by "a suspension over-haul?" How am I supposed to get an alignment when my camber is off and it's not adjustable?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is play in the camber. I had mine done five times before the alignment was good. It is true that many shops SUCK at it, I took it to three firestones before I found one that worked with me. They where pissed by the time we where done because they weren't the shop I bought the alignment from but they always worked on it till it was right.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alignments should be part of your regular maintenance schedule. After any steering / suspension changes you need an alignment. tires are expensive and you definately want to get the most out of them. When you get an alignment done you should be getting a print out of the before and after numbers of your vehicle. If not you have to wonder if they did any thing.
Cheers, Rob
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Exactly, well said! I didn't realize that the OP has suspension work done... I thought it was just new wheels/tires.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:11 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

After you lower your car, you should always get an alignment