Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

A tire for all seasons? (Summer, all-season and winter tire comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Driving is the next best thing

A tire for all seasons? (Summer, all-season and winter tire comparison)

Tech Stuff: A tire for all seasons? : http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-seasons.html

Found this article in Car and Driver. I think it should be helpful for those who are trying to decide if it's worth it to keep two sets of tires (summer/winter) instead of owning one set of all-seasons, or for those who think that they can make it through the winter with summer tires.

Here's a chart that pretty much summarizes the article:
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Wait, no one is interested to see the difference in performance of three different types of tires?

Or did I just post it too late?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Maintenance Monster

Well it DOES prove that a summer (dry/rain) tire does best in the dry and rain. It also proves that a snow tire will do best in snow, and that all-seasons are somewhere in the middle.

Now that's just a comparison of 3 particular models. The Eagle RS-A isn't considered to be that great of an all-season tire, so I'm a little surprised it gets within 10% of the snow tire in stopping distance. In practice, there are many situations where the difference between the all-season and snow tire is very, very substantial.

I would have liked to see the F1s tested in the snow. That would have been very interesting.

Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

Howcome everyone here HATES the RS-A?

I have Continental ContiProContact and couldnt be happier, they are far more responsive, quieter, and all around better than the RSA-S were. Oh and they are cheaper.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Well it DOES prove that a summer (dry/rain) tire does best in the dry and rain. It also proves that a snow tire will do best in snow, and that all-seasons are somewhere in the middle.
Well, the article isn't really about proving which tire is better, it's more about HOW MUCH each tire is better in certain conditions, and it it worth it to spend more money on dedicated seasonal tires.