Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

New Rims..Need tires 225/45/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM

New Rims..Need tires 225/45/17

OK, Ok, Ok...I have posted this now 3 times...the first two times i guess I was in the wrong forum! Well this is what I have , I just bought some new rims that are off an 2006 Nissan Altima......I am looking for input on what tires to put on the rims, and what brands are good, and if anyone knows of where to get a good price on them....Here is a pic of the rims that I bought. Give me ur suggestions and if anyone knows of any maxima's with these rims on them, please post a pic so I can see what they look like . Thanks for all the help fellas!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Check out the Riken Raptors, Im rollin on the right now and hve no complaints, they are 245/45/18 and only cost about $90 each
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM

I have General Exclaim UHP on my Max. I run a 235/45/17. The tires are great. I drove in the rain today at about 75 mph and it handled it with ease. I got them from TireRack.com for about 70 each. Two Thumbs Up!!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 PM

I was looking at some Kuhmos on Tirerack.com, I think the Ecsta. They are about $90 a tire You may want to look into those. They got pretty good reviews.

Is that the size that came factory with the car? I am in a delima myself on finding the right tire size and tire when it comes time to replace them. The sidewall looks kinda chunky on my car with the G alloys but then I would have to drop it if I went with a shorter sidewall, but I don't want to do that. But the 215/55's have got to go.

Good luck, and Air Force! HuuuuuuH! Nice to see a fellow Max fan and Airman on here.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM

tires would depend on how much ur lookin to spend, how ur plannin on driving ur car and so on!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by FOLKFINAS
tires would depend on how much ur lookin to spend, how ur plannin on driving ur car and so on!
Yeah, there are definitely a lot of choices out there and a huge range in pricing, depending on what you need.

Probably a good middle of the road tire is something like the Toyo Proxes 4 or T1R. I have Zeix 326, but I think a better choice is the 512s. There is a huge thread on them in the stickies. You will spend more for more grip, but not get many miles out of them.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NissLover
I was looking at some Kuhmos on Tirerack.com, I think the Ecsta. They are about $90 a tire You may want to look into those. They got pretty good reviews.

Is that the size that came factory with the car? I am in a delima myself on finding the right tire size and tire when it comes time to replace them. The sidewall looks kinda chunky on my car with the G alloys but then I would have to drop it if I went with a shorter sidewall, but I don't want to do that. But the 215/55's have got to go.

Good luck, and Air Force! HuuuuuuH! Nice to see a fellow Max fan and Airman on here.
I found some tires at Big O Tires, they were a real good price, about $450 dollars for all four..They were actually cheaper than discount tires where i originally looked......the tire sizr that they told me was 225/45/17...I was thinking 235/45/17...but they told me at Big O that the 235 was too wide of a tire for a 95 maxima...so ur a Airman huh....I go to BT in June......so where u stationed?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikey chalupa
I have General Exclaim UHP on my Max. I run a 235/45/17. The tires are great. I drove in the rain today at about 75 mph and it handled it with ease. I got them from TireRack.com for about 70 each. Two Thumbs Up!!
Hey do u have a pic of ur rims and tires u could post...just so I could get an idea of what it looks like?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Is Big O Tires a local tire dealer? I have never heard of them.

I am in the Reserves and my unit is located at, you guessed it, Lackland AFB, TX. I just made a year at the end of this past Jan and finished BMT and Tech School July. You'll have fun in BMT, once you look back on it. I would go back. Whats your MOS/job?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by NissLover
Is Big O Tires a local tire dealer? I have never heard of them.

I am in the Reserves and my unit is located at, you guessed it, Lackland AFB, TX. I just made a year at the end of this past Jan and finished BMT and Tech School July. You'll have fun in BMT, once you look back on it. I would go back. Whats your MOS/job?
Yeah Big O Tires is a local dealer, at least here in Az, in the town im in they have one, I went to them and talked to them already......Yeah I will be in Lackland in June for BMT....My MOS is Airospace Propulsion.......Basically I am an airplane eingine mechanic.......I trouble shoot the problem and test it and then fix it.......everyone keeps telling me that Tech School is really fun......where was ur school located at? Whats ur MOS?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Check your PM. lol.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try treaddepot.com or treadepot.com. Speak to Scott. Tell him that you want cheaper shipping cause all your friends bought from there LOL. He'll cut you a deal on the shipping. Go for the Toyo Proxy 4's
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew
try treaddepot.com or treadepot.com. Speak to Scott. Tell him that you want cheaper shipping cause all your friends bought from there LOL. He'll cut you a deal on the shipping. Go for the Toyo Proxy 4's
Do u have any pics...is this what ur running on ur max??
Old 03-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlkMaxNCa
Do u have any pics...is this what ur running on ur max??
I didn't take pics yet but i'm running the stock 225/50/17. Its ok, i'm not looking to drop it anytime soon. Just needed some nice tires that grip.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:12 AM

I have 225/45/17 Riken Raptor ZR's on my 4th gen. This is the second set of them I've had (previous was on my SE wheels, 225/50/16). A 235/45 or 225/50 would be ideal, but I'm happy with my current setup. For the price I absolutely love these tires.

BTW, I'm dropped on AGX/Progress for an idea of the wheel gap. Pic is in my sig.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM

ok guys my next question is this.....is the difference between 225/45....and 225/50 the sidewall of the tire...I mean does this add more beefiness to the tire, so that way it isn't such a low profile tire?? I want a tire that looks decent, but don't want it to look so small that my max looks like a real 4x4....I honestly don't plan on droppin my max....so I want it to look decent.....yet not too beefy....u guys know what I mean?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:46 PM

ok guys my next question is this.....is the difference between 225/45....and 225/50 the sidewall of the tire...I mean does this add more beefiness to the tire, so that way it isn't such a low profile tire?? I want a tire that looks decent, but don't want it to look so small that my max looks like a real 4x4....I honestly don't plan on droppin my max....so I want it to look decent.....yet not too beefy....u guys know what I mean?
Yeah, a 50 series will give you a taller sidewall than a 45. It will fill the wheel well a bit better if you're not dropped.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by nearthisbridge
Yeah, a 50 series will give you a taller sidewall than a 45. It will fill the wheel well a bit better if you're not dropped.

Thanks man...Just wat I needed to know to make my decision......so has anyone heard anything about these tires from Big O Tires...What do u guys think? Good choice? http://www.bigotires.com/TireResults...&SSize=2255017
Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Way out West

Thanks man...Just wat I needed to know to make my decision......so has anyone heard anything about these tires from Big O Tires...What do u guys think? Good choice? http://www.bigotires.com/TireResults...&SSize=2255017

^^It doesn't show up, except the store finder. Is it the Big O EuroTour? That looks like a pretty lame tire for handling, but it has a pretty high treadwear rating and it will probably last a long time. It also has a 4 year warranty.

There are Big O stores all across the Northwest. It really depends on what the tire is and what the treadwear and traction ratings are.

Many of the Big O brand tires are made by Sumitomo, which is their parent company. They probably get some other rebranded tires made by different companies, too, along with the normal name brands they carry.

Kind of like how Les Schwab has a lot of tires made by Ohtsu (Ziex, like Falken) and Toyo (Open Country) that are rebranded, along with Cooper truck tires that are rebranded, Kelly Springfield tires are now made by Goodyear, Dayton tires are made by Firestone, etc.

Some people don't like rebranded tires. I don't really have a problem with them. I have a friend that was the manager of a Discount Tire. His dad was the manager before him (and his dad now owns a Big O in Clackamas, Oregon). I have bought a lot of tires from him in the past with no problems. On a few occasions he would put two tires side-by-side -- one a name brand and the other the rebranded version of the same tire. I could not tell the difference in any way.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Well guys I decided to go with a pair of traiangle talon GP 326 for the rims.......size 215/50R17.......I'll post up pics tomorrow after i get them put on.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Here is the pics...check it out...tell me what u think.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2048849/1
Old 04-13-2007, 01:19 AM

The 50 series will look better on a stock suspension car. I switched to a 45 while my suspension was stock and they looked too small. The 50 will give you a softer ride as well. However, there are a lot more choices in the 45.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sooner02r1
The 50 series will look better on a stock suspension car. I switched to a 45 while my suspension was stock and they looked too small. The 50 will give you a softer ride as well. However, there are a lot more choices in the 45.
Yeah, I went with the 50 series...looks good, check out my cardomain page for the pics....
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM

They look great! Your Max itself looks nice. Very clean.