Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

advice on New Winter/All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM

advice on New Winter/All-Season Tires

I need new tires before this winter sets in, as my current ones although free were a hazard on the road and kept me from driving when snow fell. Im looking for a tire that is good in the snow, yet is quiet enough for spring/summer driving. I noticed on Tirerakc there are performance winter tires out there, I dunno if these would be a decent option through to summer time too. Please share your thoughts with different tires so I can do my research and pick a good option. Thanks!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM

C'mon guys give me some feedback on some quality A/S tires that ride and look good on the max. Im running on stock rims. Feedback wanted!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Offset Is Everything.

use search function. check tirerack.com. read reviews. done.

one set for winter, one set for summer/spring/fall. compounds are harder on wintersnow specific. not recommended for other seasons other than winter/snow.

there have been numerous threads like this before. search.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I moved from Atlanta up to Vermont and need to find some dedicated winter tires too. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to speed up my search as it's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow....lovely...... Anyways......

In my minimal search these tires have stood out so far:
Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
Michelin X-Ice xi2
Nokian Hakkapeliitta -R
Continental Conti Viking Contact 5

As to which one I'm gonna get I dunno yet. The Nokian's are sweet but they're gonna be a pocket crusher if I want them. Bout $754 clams. I am leaning toward them though as I've heard that the others are basically an all season tire with a winter tread (the Blizzaks are anyways). None of them are performance as I'd prefer a dedicated winter tire and tune down my driving habits during the winter rather than get the occasional bump in performance on the nice days and find myself in a snow bank on the crumby ones.

I did have the foresight to get an extra set of rims for the winter before I came up here so I can swap them as I please. Depending on where your from and if you have the pocket for it, I'd recommend getting an extra set of crappy rims so you can get a dedicated set for the winter and have your performance ones on your nice rims for the spring/summer and early fall.

Oh and I think the Michelin's might be hard to get. Canada passed a law where people have to get winter tires so I think they may be shipping most of them up there. Dunno for sure though.

Good luck in your search.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM

thanks man for your insight, I think I want to lean towards a A/S tire as I cant afford to spend loads of money on 2 sets of tires as you mentioned. I have to re-do my brakes after the winter, so thats basically a set of tires right there. Being in Boston our roads wont be as bad as yours up there in Vermont, hence why I can see leaning towards your recommendation. I've been looking at the Continential Conti. . .more research to do, but will I be safe and satisfied with a All Season tire?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM

Narrowed down to 3 choices

After some due diligence, I've narrowed down to 3 tires...

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Sole Position
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Im interested in getting feedback on others experience good or bad with either one of these brands. They are in no particular order, I will take into account overall price in addition to peoples recomendations when making my final decision. Let me know your thoughts peoples!! Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Banginbeats3
thanks man for your insight, I think I want to lean towards a A/S tire as I cant afford to spend loads of money on 2 sets of tires as you mentioned. I have to re-do my brakes after the winter, so thats basically a set of tires right there. Being in Boston our roads wont be as bad as yours up there in Vermont, hence why I can see leaning towards your recommendation. I've been looking at the Continential Conti. . .more research to do, but will I be safe and satisfied with a All Season tire?
Aye. I reckon you could get by on an all-season tire, moreso when they are new but Boston can still get pretty hairy in the winter. Not as knarly as up here in VT but it can still get sketchy. From what I hear it's supposed to be another leg humper of a winter too.

I know you're saving your dough for your brakes next spring and I'd love to tell you to get all seasons and that you'll feel safe and satisfied with them but unfortunately I can't. I've driven my Dad's rig in the winter and he's got A/S on his and I was feelin' none too safe and he's got an AWD Murano.

For me anyways, even if I lived in Boston where the weather isn't as severe, I'd still roll with some dedicated tires. I'm a safe than sorry kinda guy and if it means eating Kraft macaroni and cheese for a few months so I can keep myself in one piece or out of the snow banks then so be it. All it takes is one crumby day on less than ideal tires to rock your world. While not sexy, new winter tires also make a great x-mas present. All winters aren't super expensive either. Anyway.................

If it were me and I got all seasons, I'd probably wish I had gotten a dedicated pair instead. Especially next winter once the a/s tread has worn down a bit. If I got a performance winter, I'd wish I had a better winter and come spring wish I had a better spring and summer cause those performance winters are gonna be noisy as hell and will wear out like a bastard. I dunno man, it's a tough call but the safe one is to get winters and save for your brakes and performance tires over the winter.

I guess my advice to you is talk to shops in the Boston area and see what they have to say. Also ask the dudes in the NE forum for their opinions. If you can get by on All seasons, get some gooduns this year and save up for some winters next.

but
http://news.carjunky.com/car_mainten...es-ab412.shtml

Last edited by VTonmymind; 10-28-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Banginbeats3
After some due diligence, I've narrowed down to 3 tires...

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Sole Position
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Im interested in getting feedback on others experience good or bad with either one of these brands. They are in no particular order, I will take into account overall price in addition to peoples recomendations when making my final decision. Let me know your thoughts peoples!! Thanks!!
I dunno man. You're entering winter and just from looking at the tirerack ratings on those tires you could have a white knuckle winter. The Potenza's seem to be the best overall tire but still.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+F1+All+Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ot+Sport+A%2FS

If your dead set on A/S only, I'd look in this category:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/hpas.jsp

Oh and I have these on my car and I still won't drive on them this winter regardless of location:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Exalto+A%2FS
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Please check out the sticky's

http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...re-thread.html
http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...d-no-poll.html