1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Transmission swap information needed--please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Transmission swap information needed--please

I have to replace the automatic in my 85 Maxima. What other transmission(s)will fit, with what mods? This is urgent. I asked some questions before and got nada. I have a decent home shop and access to several boneyards. This early series 85 Maxima automatic transaxle is not very good. I want to put a later model one in it. Does anybody know anything about Maxima transmissions.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: Transmission swap information needed--please

Originally posted by dr.disc
I have to replace the automatic in my 85 Maxima. What other transmission(s)will fit, with what mods? This is urgent. I asked some questions before and got nada. I have a decent home shop and access to several boneyards. This early series 85 Maxima automatic transaxle is not very good. I want to put a later model one in it. Does anybody know anything about Maxima transmissions.
Basically, the entire line of auto slush-a-matics in the Max series blows chunks. Some tend to be better than others, but in general, they are quite problematic.

The best bet would be a good 5-speed manual box out of a 3rd gen (89-94) Max. This does require some fabrication to install, as there are different mounts, etc...but it is possible, as Maxima86SE has had it done. If you want the easiest way out, find a 5-sp 85-88 Max in a bone yard, and buy EVERYTHING (might be easier to buy the whole car, to use as a donor...) - clutch assembly, M/C, line, S/C, tranny, flywheel, front cross member (it's different between the 5-sp & the auto), the linkage, the shifter, and the interior finishing pieces and boot for the console. You may also want to swap the ECU. Not sure if it'll make a huge difference, but I know the timing curves, etc..., are a tad different between the two computers...might make a big difference.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Transmission swap information needed--please

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Basically, the entire line of auto slush-a-matics in the Max series blows chunks. Some tend to be better than others, but in general, they are quite problematic.

The best bet would be a good 5-speed manual box out of a 3rd gen (89-94) Max. This does require some fabrication to install, as there are different mounts, etc...but it is possible, as Maxima86SE has had it done. If you want the easiest way out, find a 5-sp 85-88 Max in a bone yard, and buy EVERYTHING (might be easier to buy the whole car, to use as a donor...) - clutch assembly, M/C, line, S/C, tranny, flywheel, front cross member (it's different between the 5-sp & the auto), the linkage, the shifter, and the interior finishing pieces and boot for the console. You may also want to swap the ECU. Not sure if it'll make a huge difference, but I know the timing curves, etc..., are a tad different between the two computers...might make a big difference.
Yeah I agree about the automatics, I put five in my first 85 Maxima, over 160-odd K miles, but I punished it playing with V8s. I put a 2700 actual miles Z31 motor in it at 120K. I rolled it a couple of years ago. This one is ready for its second, I bought it needing one. It runs fine in first, second, and reverse, and has been doing that through two previous cheapo owners I know. I gave $300 for it. The body is pretty good and I put the interior from the first one in it. The thing is, my wife likes automatics and these are pretty stout cars if wrecked. I also like the 85 because it does not have those automatic seat belts.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:49 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Transmission swap information needed--please

Originally posted by dr.disc

Yeah I agree about the automatics, I put five in my first 85 Maxima, over 160-odd K miles, but I punished it playing with V8s. I put a 2700 actual miles Z31 motor in it at 120K. I rolled it a couple of years ago. This one is ready for its second, I bought it needing one. It runs fine in first, second, and reverse, and has been doing that through two previous cheapo owners I know. I gave $300 for it. The body is pretty good and I put the interior from the first one in it. The thing is, my wife likes automatics and these are pretty stout cars if wrecked. I also like the 85 because it does not have those automatic seat belts.
I believe there is actually another control unit for the auto's. I found that somewhere in the chilton's manual. You can probably swap the auto for a 3rd gen auto. You would probably have to switch control units, you will have to switch the linkage. Physically getting the tranny in is no prob for sure. Its the electronics and adjustments that will be a slight issue. You might want to do what maxwgn did, and attempt a auto to manual swap. I know a bunch of people have wondered about that...especially the wagon owners.
Good luck!

Sarin
Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM

The Max Manual trans, RS5F50A, are seeming hard to find. Will any of the other Nissan models match up RS5F50 (C) (V) (Y)? I am swapping auto to man, so I need the crossmember, pedal..... Wish I could find a 85-89 Max. Trying to widen my net.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 PM

I found a 3rd Gen 1990 transmission (same engine VG30E) in the salvage yard...about $200 are you interested...It's in decent shape...I'm in Houston, Tx how bad do you need it????