3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ABS pump leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 05:02 AM

ABS pump leaking fluid

I walked outside this morning to find brake fluid all over the ground underneath the front passenger side of my car. Popped the hood to find brake fluid all around the ABS pump and all down the wheel well. I noticed two days ago that my brake light was staying on, but I figured it was something with the emergency brake. Not sure if the two are related, but I'm guessing they are. I don't know how long the ABS pump has been leaking.

Does anyone know if there are common problems with these pumps? Is it possible to replace seals in the pumps, or do you generally have to replace the whole pump? I recall hearing that these pumps are really expensive (>$1000), is this true? Any suggestions on where to look for problems? Any suggestions on what to do if it requires a new pump? Please advise.

Thanks for a great forum.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:45 AM

Yes, the pumps are very expensive(Around $1000).You are going to have to find one at a junkyard or start looking at the classifieds on the org..Seen a few who are parting out their cars...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:01 AM

How big a job is it to do an ABS pump swap? It looks to be quite a few metal lines and a pump, but do you have to de-pressurize the system or have any computers for setup of the sensors, etc.? I know you'll have to bleed the brakes, but that's not a big deal. I looked in the Maintenance FAQ but can't find anything about ABS pump replacement.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM

Its not hard to replace the pump..just got to have the right tools..all you have to do is take off the lines from the pumps, dissconnect the connectors and unscrew any mounting bolts holdning the abs pump..pull out, put new pump back in..then just connect everything..
Old 11-02-2004, 05:35 PM

OK, I checked it out this afternoon with a little help and definitely found the source of the problem. When the brake pedal is pumped, brake fluid squirts out from the vertical "bars" facing the front of the car. There are two of these bars in the front of the actuator and two in the back. I'm calling the actuator the piece that has the brake lines connected to the top (correct??). These two vertical bars are wedged between the two vertical bolts that hold the actuator to the pump(???).

I need some help with terminology here. The part # on what I'm calling the actuator is 47600-96E00. This is bolted to a larger "box" that is mounted in a bracket. I've been looking for parts online, and parts are listed as "ABS Hydraulic Unit" or "ABS Actuator Assembly" and I'm not sure which is which. The Hydraulic Unit is about $950, the Actuator Assembly is $1200. It almost looks like the actuator (as I'm calling it) will detach from the lower "box" in the mounting bracket by taking the 4 threaded bolts out. Is this all I need to replace? Can someone help me with the terminology here? Are there any pictures out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a used ABS actuator from www.findpart.com for $225 delivered. It was the whole unit, what you are calling the top and bottom all together. The shop manual I looked at said you need to swap out the whole thing, "not user serviceable".

The order guy was very helpful, explained that most places call it the ABS pump but Nissan calls it an ABS actuator. Same part that I found new for $1200, rebuilt for $800. He said his part was used, but checked and guaranteed with a 30-day replacement warranty.

It was an easy swap, took me a half day with standard tools (but I'm slow and clumsy). I'm quite happy with the way it turned out (so far no leaks, after 3 weeks).
Old 11-05-2004, 11:48 AM

I had the same problem 5 months ago. I bought a used from http://www.car-part.com/
On that site give search as ABS pump. You can also search by region, state..so on
If you r lucky U might find one shop near Ur place. I was able to get one for less than $150. So far no more leaks. It took me 3 hours to replace this and 2 hours to bleed complete brake system.

Handle the small nuts on this pump with care or U might end up with rounded bolts.
In my opinion you should bleed your brake system after this replacement.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hate to resurrect an old thread but this just happened to me... car is a 92 GXE that has been sitting for a couple years... gave it to my mom to drive around town, brakes went to crap.. was going to bleed them and found the same problem... not worth putting $800 into... anyone have any leads on where to get one reasonably or if they are rebuildable??

Can the whole ABS bit been taking out?? (asking for a friend) ;-)