4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about MIL code.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 08:44 AM
Maxfreak

Last night I turned the screw on the ECU to the check position and got what I believe to be the 0304 code, knock sensor? I wanted to reset the ECU and check any codes at the same time, does this trick really reset the "learned" programs in the ECU or just reset the MIL? How does the knock sensor affect performance? And finally what is the proper way to translate the "flashes" into the right code? Thanks.

P.S. And did I mention how tired of seeing the threads titled "My Best Friend Made Fun Of My Mom's Maxima Today".

Old 05-24-2001, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Maxfreak
... I wanted to reset the ECU and check any codes at the same time, does this trick really reset the "learned" programs in the ECU or just reset the MIL? ...
The Engine Control Module reset is not a "trick". It is a legitimate factory-authorized way to reset the ECM. The reset erases everything in the ECM memory.

... How does the knock sensor affect performance? ...
If the KS is working correctly, it senses engine knock and signals the ECM. The ECM responds by retarding the ignition timing to reduce or eliminate the knock. The engine continues to run smoothly but with less power and more fuel consumption.

... what is the proper way to translate the "flashes" into the right code?
You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset
the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

The DTC "translations" are found at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html