4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New R34 headlights causing problems already

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Too obsessed

New R34 headlights causing problems already

I just installed my new blacked out R34 headlights. I was all psyched so i took the car out for a ride right after i installed them. 10 minutes after i left the driveway, i noticed the car starting to act funny. it was shifting differently, the clock was beginning to dim very badly, surging acceleration - all the tell-tale signs of alternator problems! --->

so i race as fast as i can to my mechanic to get the car in his parking lot before it dies, and sure enough i made it there, shut the car off to park it, and just to test my theory tried to start the car again and it was toast!

...not that i think it's the new headlights that killed my car, but it was certainly coincidental... i also noticed where the blue female adapter piece is that our stock 9004 plug goes into had a loose connection and if you slightly wiggled it, the headlight would turn off and another wiggle would turn it back on again. anyone else notice this? i'm bout to just put some duct tape on it to tighten the connection.

My entire gauge cluster was also out of the car at the time while driving. this wouldn't have any effect on the car dying would it? it's just very weird that my car would suddenly die right after i put the headlights in. i'm thinking maybe while installing the headlights, a washer or something may have fallen into the alternator causing it to damage...? i don't know but this sucks!
Old 05-19-2007, 06:09 PM

No Man I put them on as well just with Chrome housing my Max is White. The only problem is that before purchasing the car it had fender bender on to put the 1pc R34 was a mission. I had to Fix the fender around and then play with the hood. But it looks nice!!! But thank god no problems such as you've described. I've had them on now for a week!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Wants a real car

i had simmilar problems after installing foglights

jsut check the bulbs you are using.. the way it is wired.. and make sure its the same as the set up you have with your stock headlights... its just draining to much power..... way to much power from what your describing... unless during installatiion. a fuse blew out or the computer was electronically affected ... hope that its not
Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM

are these headlights real r34 skyline lights ?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nightspyder0
are these headlights real r34 skyline lights ?
Nope

10char
Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 AM

I'm sure it's coincidence that this all happened. It would be something with your wiring but I'd wait till the mechanic tells you.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Tha Snatcher

It aint the headlamps.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Whatchyou say?

Sounds like a poor ground, but the ? is where. If you took it to the shop, they should be able to fix it I would guess - otherwise go elsewhere!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Black Lion

r 34

i also have these and the only thing as far as fitment is that there a small gaps around the corner lamp portion of the lamp where it meets the quarter panel anyone have this problem? and what did you use to hide the gaps? . also the corner lamp bulb is making contact with the housing inside and is causing it to melt. while doing my projector retro i had the lamps open and cut a notch around where the bulb was making contact which helped( you cant even see the notch cause i painted it black) but it still heats up and i smell its burning but at least the bulb is clear of the housing.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor

when you say the guage cluster was out you mean the assembly was removed? i drove 1 day with the entire assembly out and had the same thing happen. worked when i put it back in.

*edit*thread back from the dead. oops.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
i also have these and the only thing as far as fitment is that there a small gaps around the corner lamp portion of the lamp where it meets the quarter panel anyone have this problem? and what did you use to hide the gaps? . also the corner lamp bulb is making contact with the housing inside and is causing it to melt. while doing my projector retro i had the lamps open and cut a notch around where the bulb was making contact which helped( you cant even see the notch cause i painted it black) but it still heats up and i smell its burning but at least the bulb is clear of the housing.
No gaps for me. Perfect fitment. I'm sure most will agree. Maybe you got a bad set???

However, there is one area that is a little tricky. The part where you have to install the metal 'L' bracket (supplied with headlights) to the OEM metal bracket near the corner light. My aftermarket 'L' brackets were marked incorrectly...meaning that the the bracket stamped 'rt' actually needed to go with the left headlight, and visa versa. This could be the source of your fitment issues, and might explain your bulb burning issues too.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by The Wizard
No gaps for me. Perfect fitment. I'm sure most will agree. Maybe you got a bad set???

However, there is one area that is a little tricky. The part where you have to install the metal 'L' bracket (supplied with headlights) to the OEM metal bracket near the corner light. My aftermarket 'L' brackets were marked incorrectly...meaning that the the bracket stamped 'rt' actually needed to go with the left headlight, and visa versa. This could be the source of your fitment issues, and might explain your bulb burning issues too.
i can try swapping out the brackets and see if that helps with the gaps. as for the bulbs the brackets being on the wrong side wont make any difference on how the bulb sits in the housing. the bulb is just to close to the housing which is why i had to notch out a space for the bulb. maybe i did get a bad set.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:40 PM

I had the same issue with the left and the right markings beeing wrong, still after about a month both headlight harnesses melted, and the alignment is horrible and not adjustable. My passenger side points almost right down (if this is only one lit cant barely tell even that is lit) and driver side points way up and to the right. Thought of adding a couple of washers to try and align.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by vilmaxima
I had the same issue with the left and the right markings beeing wrong, still after about a month both headlight harnesses melted, and the alignment is horrible and not adjustable. My passenger side points almost right down (if this is only one lit cant barely tell even that is lit) and driver side points way up and to the right. Thought of adding a couple of washers to try and align.
the beam pattern on these are terrible! this is why most poeple like myself only buy these to retro them with projectors.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
the beam pattern on these are terrible! this is why most poeple like myself only buy these to retro them with projectors.
thats why i still havent put mines on yet,ended buying a black housing headlights to match the corner lights...Love the R-34's,but the bean patter SUCKS!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Mine fit just fine. Plus i am running a pnp hid kit for now till i put my projectors in.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Shots of beam pattern with HIDs? Do you have a shield for them?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:55 PM

no shields as the r34 has a nice ones. A for the beam pattern it is all screwed up but brighter than halogen. it does glare like others i have seen.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same thing happen tome and found out that when you disconnect the cluster from the dash you are cutting off the circuit to the alternator and you are then driving off the battery without charging the system. As soon as you reconnect the cluster you are creating the closed circuit and your system will charge and you will have no problems. Remember your cluster is connected to your ECU once unplugged your ECU circuit is not complete.