4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Official 00VI thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's the best way to run wiring from the cabin to the engine bay?

1. Drill a hole in the firewall?

2. Run the wires with the existing engine harness....through that hole.

3. Run it underneath from the gearbox? I hear that the manual 5 speeds have some space there....not sure about the autos.

DW
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxboy325
I remember your swap thats when I first met yall. AJ link your thread for the noobs.
Not all of us are noobs......
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Well based on that, i think i may have start putting a kit together seeing i can get it dirt cheap,except is there anything id be better off buying new??
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
What's the best way to run wiring from the cabin to the engine bay?

1. Drill a hole in the firewall?

2. Run the wires with the existing engine harness....through that hole.

3. Run it underneath from the gearbox? I hear that the manual 5 speeds have some space there....not sure about the autos.

DW

use an aleady exsisting hole
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Im bumping this.in hopes that the 00vi "gurus" place some good/important info on here... theres ton of 00vi threads but it would be nice to consolidate it all in one thread for less confusion
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
use an aleady exsisting hole
OK Thanks.

DW
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM

One good resource/tip we could all benefit from would be the vacuum diagramming. I spent almost 2 days figuring out what went to what since I didn't exactly place the lines to what they went to, not to mention I had to shave off metal pieces from the vacuum galleries so I could make the TB/IACV fit.

I'm going back to my 01VI in the next couple of months, and I reaaaaaaaaaly wanted to keep my stock 4th gen LIM and rails since I don't want to have to solder and add harness wiring to my existing setup. What is honestly the best cost effective way and is there an exact link that shows what to drill into the 4th gen LIM for using the UIM? I know how to use JB and it worked very well when I did the 5th gen LIM for the valve openings, but the drilling, that's what's scary. Hence why I'd get a secondary junkyard LIM and rear valve cover. Unless there's a way to use the 4th gen LIM and 5th gen valve cover... What do you guys think?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator

You guys are recreating the wheel.

Everything you need to know is here.

http://tatanko.boredmder.com/
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM

But it wasn't there Well, maybe it is, but I didn't wanna go through it again. Lol
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM

One good resource/tip we could all benefit from would be the vacuum diagramming. I spent almost 2 days figuring out what went to what since I didn't exactly place the lines to what they went to, not to mention I had to shave off metal pieces from the vacuum galleries so I could make the TB/IACV fit.

I'm going back to my 01VI in the next couple of months, and I reaaaaaaaaaly wanted to keep my stock 4th gen LIM and rails since I don't want to have to solder and add harness wiring to my existing setup. What is honestly the best cost effective way and is there an exact link that shows what to drill into the 4th gen LIM for using the UIM? I know how to use JB and it worked very well when I did the 5th gen LIM for the valve openings, but the drilling, that's what's scary. Hence why I'd get a secondary junkyard LIM and rear valve cover. Unless there's a way to use the 4th gen LIM and 5th gen valve cover... What do you guys think?
the thing about the vacuum lines is this; between years theyre different for example my 99 has alot of 00 vacuum lines already it also has a 5th gen evap solenoid also have alot less vacuum lines so someone would have to take the time and cross reference all the 4th gen years and post them up

i wish i could help with the lower but im useing a 5th gen lower so hopefully someone else can chime in on that one
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Well, once I was able to get the vacuum lines sorted it was smooth sailing, but in the beginning there were the leaks, or some vacuum lines were reversed. And some had to be tee'd off, or modified. I drive the 96, and now know how it goes onto the 5th gen setup, but I'll have to redo it and this time see if it will work by using 4th gen components. But I'd be more than happy to mock up a setup for 5th gen only into a 96 for example, that way it could be more user friendly and served up in the 00VI thread stickies.

I'll be extensive when it comes to doing my 4th gen LIM and all, since I wouldn't want others to get steered in the same direction. If I do get it down with my eyes closed, who knows, I might even start a service for a drop in 00VI swap using pre-drilled and prepped 4th gen LIM/valve cover setups for a hustling penny of course

Thanks though Maxed!

-Axel
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 PM

I rip out those silly vaccum lines. They just get in the way.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SBKMax96

There's no reason why you cant run the 4th gen LIM and a 5th gen VC. They aren't connected to eachother.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM

Id recommend sourcing a 5th gen VC.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM

My current progress

Name:  IMG_20120413_100600.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20120413_103939.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20120415_083419.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20120415_133657.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Id recommend sourcing a 5th gen VC.

i modified a 4th gen rear valve cover to work once and i hated it. it was so much work, of course i didn't have a good dremel at the time, but it was so much time wasted in modification so i ended up just buying a rear valve cover from the junkyard for $20
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM

When doing the 00VI I would think it would be a good time to also replace the valve cover gaskets.

DW
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
When doing the 00VI I would think it would be a good time to also replace the valve cover gaskets.

DW
Always do, unless they were installed, what... 6k ago?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

If anyone needs an 00VI installer in south FL, i'm available. I also have a full 5th gen setup available minus the throttle body.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM

also here to help

Originally Posted by essential1
If anyone needs an 00VI installer in south FL, i'm available. I also have a full 5th gen setup available minus the throttle body.
if anyone needs help around in and around toronto i can lend a hand.

i have all the 5th gen parts except the TB and IACV are from a 4th gen.

i have a question for anyone using the 5th gen TB. what is the diameter and what did you need to do to make it work with everything else i got? is the pathfinder TB harder to install?

I heard the 5th gen tb is bigger due to the bigger intake manifold entrance on the 00vi compared to the USIM. I'd like to make a 3" MAF but i don't want to have the gains of this super flowing air intake negated by a smaller TB.

i'll post pics of my setup on the weekend.

lets keep this as a post 00vi discussions or different 00vi setup thread for referencing. the how to is already handled somewhere else... btw does tatanko's build link include the "00vi" manual? its not really a how to but something worth reading if you wanna know stuff about the 00vi.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91

i have a question for anyone using the 5th gen TB. what is the diameter and what did you need to do to make it work with everything else i got? is the pathfinder TB harder to install?

I heard the 5th gen tb is bigger due to the bigger intake manifold entrance on the 00vi compared to the USIM. I'd like to make a 3" MAF but i don't want to have the gains of this super flowing air intake negated by a smaller TB.

lets keep this as a post 00vi discussions or different 00vi setup thread for referencing. the how to is already handled somewhere else... btw does tatanko's build link include the "00vi" manual? its not really a how to but something worth reading if you wanna know stuff about the 00vi.
5th gen TB is easier in my opinion because you don't need an adapter plate to install it. Also, the IACV is on the TB for 5th gens. Some have gotten this to work with the 4th gen ECU by simply rewiring it. That will take care of the IACV (if you get it working) and the block plate for it. There's 2 less things to fabricate. Either way, the car can run fine without an IACV unless you're concerned about the CEL.

As far as the size difference, going by memory, I believe they are the same diameter. But I can very well be wrong. The PFTB on the other hand is alot bigger. But you will also need to make an adapter plate for it to bolt up. (or figure out some other ingenious way).
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
5th gen TB is easier in my opinion because you don't need an adapter plate to install it. Also, the IACV is on the TB for 5th gens. Some have gotten this to work with the 4th gen ECU by simply rewiring it. That will take care of the IACV (if you get it working) and the block plate for it. There's 2 less things to fabricate. Either way, the car can run fine without an IACV unless you're concerned about the CEL.

As far as the size difference, going by memory, I believe they are the same diameter. But I can very well be wrong. The PFTB on the other hand is alot bigger. But you will also need to make an adapter plate for it to bolt up. (or figure out some other ingenious way).
tru... i don't want to do any more splicing and trying to make things work lol. but will a 3" MAF still be beneficial?

i'm already running without iacv haha i mean its connected to the ecu but its not being used to keep the car idle, my tb is cracked open for that lol

i'll hook it up after exams are done but i got a question for that too... i wasnt the one that unscrewed it to keep it open and they don't remember how many turns they did :S but they remember it being sensitive and it took very little to change idle +/- 100rpm.
i don't want to just hook up my iacv and then find out its not doing anything because there's too much air going through the tb cause the throttle plate isn't closed enough. i took a look at my USIM and my old tb and its pretty much shut at no throttle... should i leave the engine running and then gradually move the screw till the engine dies or has a hard time to idle ?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM

ok well i have an issue that im pretty sure i have came to the answer but i would like some input

i have a NR-G adjustable fpr with a liquid filled gauge
my problem is a hard start when i turn the key to the on position (the position just before you start the engine)
the fuel pressure jumps to 35 then immediately drops to 0 i have no residual pressure

my question is;
how likely is it my pump is dumpin out?
what are the symptoms of a weak pump?
and what are the symptoms of a bad fpr?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM

5th gen TB is same size as 4th gen TB. With the stuff you have, you'll need an IACV adapter plate. More or less, you need to buy or make a set of adapter plates for the PFTB and port match the TB opening on the uim. Otherwise the install is the same as a 5th gen TB.

That's not true. However the 5.5gen TB is larger. You will still get gains from a 3" MAF, but you NEED to tune for it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Guys in florida and toronto...wtf..wheres the mass ct.or rhode island installers??
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
5th gen TB is same size as 4th gen TB. With the stuff you have, you'll need an IACV adapter plate. More or less, you need to buy or make a set of adapter plates for the PFTB and port match the TB opening on the uim. Otherwise the install is the same as a 5th gen TB.

That's not true. However the 5.5gen TB is larger. You will still get gains from a 3" MAF, but you NEED to tune for it.
o ok cool i'll be staying with just my setup now. i got vafc2 to tune with so i'm good for tuning... could you help me with my iacv re-install? i made a post about it just above
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM

Here's my setup

As mentioned...

Name:  P1050815.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  160.6 KB

vacuum and fuel line setup, birds nest lol. its a mess but somehow i know where most hoses go without reference
Name:  P1050816.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  204.3 KB

IACV setup, 4th gen w/ block off plate. hooked it up last week finally. drove 14k km with only TB holding idle... awesome engine.
Name:  P1050820.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  172.2 KB

Electronics. VAFC 2 and AEM UEGO wbo2 with super ghetto-a$$ mounting lol. i order a guage pod last night.
Name:  P1050821.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  102.5 KB

Note the over sized bolts... i stripped the threads in the LIM TWICE fml. yes i was using a torque wrench, aluminum is very soft and i realized the UIM only needs to be snug.
Name:  P1050824.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  141.4 KB

intake setup. K&N>MAF>stock res box>3" steel pipe>stock accordion reducer. this is my 4th setup... never buy weaponR. make it yourself or buy anything else but. Next setup is place racing CAI behind the splash guard. i haven't yet decided if i want to keep the little breather or attach to the stock res box...
Name:  P1050825.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  174.1 KB

Went to the junkyard today and found an 01 max and decided to take off the oem EGR block off plate. Will be needing this for EGR delete when i get OBX V2 headers next year. why they made the tube attachment i'll never get lol
Name:  P1050822.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  P1050823.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  113.0 KB

The only issue i still have is a lightly fluctuating idle... when i first did the swap i only used 1/2 bolts to secure the egr to the headers. ya i'm dumb lol. i was crying about the 00vi taking forever so i left it like that, don't remember if it even has a gasket. now i gotta go back and fix it... price you pay when you're a lazy lil b!tch haha. i'll post some pics of the build.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Build

old parts
Name:  P1050027.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  77.5 KB

Ready for note taking and hose labelling
Name:  P1040480.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  121.4 KB

Tools. The Motul oil was from my bike... i use a bit on gaskets.
Name:  P1040479.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  156.8 KB

00vi and all bolts in order
Name:  P1040478.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  128.2 KB

Old gasket
Name:  P1040477.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  150.6 KB

Old vs New LIM gaskets
Name:  P1040475.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  145.0 KB

new LIM and 5th gen injectors
Name:  P1040474.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  150.7 KB

Another view
Name:  P1040473.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  195.0 KB

Parts:
00 VI
00 LIM
00 Injectors
00 VC
4g TB with block off plate
4g IACV with block off plate

My $0.02:
-Take your sweet a$$ time
-have your local forum or this one handy for questions
-Don't stress if it doesn't work. stop, take a step back and think about it.
-buy an 00vi "kit" if you're not crafty or handy. get one with the 5th gen LIM. mine came with everything but an rpm switch.
-buy vafc 2 and a wideband o2 so you can tune (even if you don't get the 5th gen injectors). does a pretty decent job of tuning and the 12v VTEC signal is our 12v VIAS signal (rpm switch)
-Use pathfinder TB if you know how to hook it up.

its complicated yet simple. The concept is simple, all you're doing is replacing intake manifolds that bolt on... complicated part is EGR crap and all the hoses/wiring that go with the install.

If you got a kit sitting in the garage shut up and do it. make sure you got other transportation so you don't stress and have your laptop in the garage open to your own 00vi installation thread. when you ask questions about certain parts add pics and point to what you're talking about.

happy 00vi-ing
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Yea my setup may be a lil more complicated....swppin from mevi to 00vi
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Yea my setup may be a lil more complicated....swppin from mevi to 00vi
sounds like a lot of work for only a few extra ponies lol. imo i'd stay with it and get a piggy back tuner and create a 3"maf and NWP spacers. still good setup, dunno why people are staying on 00vi's d!ck so long lol.

I think mevi's are just as good. who cares about the 6hp difference? come to think of it i think it has to do with heat soak cause the mevi's metal vs 00vi plastic so if you get the spacers you'll get that 6hp and maybe even gain 1-3 on top of the 00vi.

Mevi's are much less of a headache and look much nicer under the hood imo
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM

the 00VI blows the mevi away
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

Yeah, it's a little more than a few horse power.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Electronics. VAFC 2 and AEM UEGO wbo2 with super ghetto-a$$ mounting lol. i order a guage pod last night.

Note the over sized bolts... i stripped the threads in the LIM TWICE fml. yes i was using a torque wrench, aluminum is very soft and i realized the UIM only needs to be snug.

The gauge fits nicely in that vent

I stripped those same two bolts in front, never bothered retapping the holes though.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 PM

The gauge fits nicely in that vent

I stripped those same two bolts in front, never bothered retapping the holes though.
That's what I said!

Note to self, be gentle when bolting the UIM on to not strip out holes.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of my 00vi swap, but it was extremely easy to do. Way easier than a lot of ppl are making it out to be. What I did was strip the paper and lower IM, injectors, and got rid of all unneccesary vaccum lines and egr. Then installed the Obx V2 headers/y-pipe from the 3.5. My upper and lower IM came from the 2001 with the egr block off plate. I also used the 5th gen injectors along with the 5th gen tb and iacv with (broken clip) method. And 5th gen rear valve cover and coil packs. When it was all said and done, this swap seemed to me to be somewhat of a direct bolt on as the ONLY modifications I made besides the headers was the iacv broken clip and egr elimination. Wired in the Vafc2, and had it set to open at 5000rpm, also 4in 4out. Car was untuned soi ran rich, but the y-pipe went back into the factory exhaust and OMG with a cai the car sounded amazing to the point where I didnt even really want to do the exhaust again lol. Car pulled like a bat outta hell, just ask the g35 I skated on and the 5.5 6spd that couldn't shake me lol. But only downside was that I was untuned and once I did a WOT pull, I had to be ready to hit the gas station smdh... IMO Best combo of mods for the 4th gen.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Get a wideband installed and tune that bad boy.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bksmax11203
Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of my 00vi swap, but it was extremely easy to do. Way easier than a lot of ppl are making it out to be. What I did was strip the paper and lower IM, injectors, and got rid of all unneccesary vaccum lines and egr. Then installed the Obx V2 headers/y-pipe from the 3.5. My upper and lower IM came from the 2001 with the egr block off plate. I also used the 5th gen injectors along with the 5th gen tb and iacv with (broken clip) method. And 5th gen rear valve cover and coil packs. When it was all said and done, this swap seemed to me to be somewhat of a direct bolt on as the ONLY modifications I made besides the headers was the iacv broken clip and egr elimination. Wired in the Vafc2, and had it set to open at 5000rpm, also 4in 4out. Car was untuned soi ran rich, but the y-pipe went back into the factory exhaust and OMG with a cai the car sounded amazing to the point where I didnt even really want to do the exhaust again lol. Car pulled like a bat outta hell, just ask the g35 I skated on and the 5.5 6spd that couldn't shake me lol. But only downside was that I was untuned and once I did a WOT pull, I had to be ready to hit the gas station smdh... IMO Best combo of mods for the 4th gen.
well it isn't that hard... the big parts bolt up no problem if you got the 5th gen LIM. knowing which hoses to cut/plug/bypass is the toughest imo and i hate eletrical. thats why i got someone to wire in my vafc2 lol

Get a wideband installed and tune that bad boy.
yaaa baady!! i saw like 5-10hp on the butt dyno from street tuning and better fuel economy... he might see 10-15 with them headers
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Yeah, it's a little more than a few horse power.
no, not really its like 6 or 7 whp difference... with spacers it'll be like a 2whp difference. i'm comparing 00vi with 4g injectors to the mevi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NmiIt2XhE

with the right mods like spacers to keep the MEVI cool, mevi'd 4th gens are just as good as 00vi
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

no, not really its like 6 or 7 whp difference... with spacers it'll be like a 2whp difference. i'm comparing 00vi with 4g injectors to the mevi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NmiIt2XhE

with the right mods like spacers to keep the MEVI cool, mevi'd 4th gens are just as good as 00vi
00vi with larger injectors and a tune is more, that's the point I was getting at.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
00vi with larger injectors and a tune is more, that's the point I was getting at.
o ya for sure the injectors help once you get to doing more mods that provide more flow of air but still, mevi is pretty darn good. mevi or 00vi... anything is better than the USIM.

those guys in the video had a couple of runs (check the other vids in his channel) which were pretty good. so to keep up with a fully bolted 6spd 5.5gen all you'd need is a mevi, y pipe back and a tune... imagine what it would be like if the 4th gen had headers

Quick Reply: Official 00VI thread