4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Official 00VI thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 PM

mines hooked up, never tried driving unplugged. dunno whether its better or not lol why would you disconnect it?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM

How hard is it to remove the power rod on a scale of 1-10? I'm still debating on whether to tune with the VIAS or without it...
Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Talk to schmellyfart, he's got a real nice 00vi setup with the rod removed.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
so im just curios which of you have the vacuum line for the VIAS hooked up? what are the advantages and disadvantages?
No vacuum line with power rod installed; congrats you just spent a few hundred dollars to not change the powerband at all. aka bye bye top end power.
You gotta figure out how to hook it up so that it will get vacuum when the rod needs to open, but doesn't stay open 24/7.
Originally Posted by clint240sx
How hard is it to remove the power rod on a scale of 1-10? I'm still debating on whether to tune with the VIAS or without it...
Depends on how much you want to remove. Its easiest with the uim removed.
It also depends if you have screws or bolts holding the vias in. I had to use a set of vise grips to break the screws loose when I initially removed my vias.
A bolt or two are a little difficult to get to with the uim installed, but it is doable. Just remove the vias and the spring first, then pull the power rod out the other side. You might have to jiggle the rod a bit to get it over the timing cover.

There's a thread floating around somewhere arguing about power rod vs no power rod. IIRC the consensus was:
Auto: dont do it
5MT: stock rev limit, probably not the best idea since your rpms will drop below 5k when you shift. So its up to you on this one.
5MT: extended revs. remove it.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
No vacuum line with power rod installed; congrats you just spent a few hundred dollars to not change the powerband at all. aka bye bye top end power.
You gotta figure out how to hook it up so that it will get vacuum when the rod needs to open, but doesn't stay open 24/7.
well from what MR. VI told me, it needs to be vented to the atmosphere or it will make the VI open slower or never fully close. he also said it was only needed for the swirl valves which are removed from my lower.

so if i leave it unplugged with the power rod installed i lose my full power band? its electronically controlled with a RPM switch does it need both?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Oh alright, give that a shot and see how it works out. It will only take time since you already have the 00vi installed.
My vias wouldn't open with the solenoid vented to atmosphere, it wasn't until I connected the solenoid to one of the nipples on the manifold that it would open.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
well from what MR. VI told me, it needs to be vented to the atmosphere or it will make the VI open slower or never fully close. he also said it was only needed for the swirl valves which are removed from my lower.

so if i leave it unplugged with the power rod installed i lose my full power band? its electronically controlled with a RPM switch does it need both?
it is electronically controlled. i dunno about it opening slower or not with the vac line disconnected but if you leave a vac source open MAP sensor will go off, no?

Schmelly, i looove the *** on ur max, so clean
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Ok so after the 00vi swap is completely done what do i need to get electronic wise
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by tallguesse07
Ok so after the 00vi swap is completely done what do i need to get electronic wise
Really!!!! Read the freakin manual or crap a few pages back. IF YOU DON'T HELP YOURSELF BY RESEARCHING YOU WILL GET NO HELP OR CREDIT HERE. now go look and search or get lost.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Has anyone here read and followed all the links in the All motor section where Caeser's Chariot, Tatanko, DandyMax, GTR-rider & others consolidated everything 00vi related?? That's basically all you need to know and then some.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by FaukenOriginal
Has anyone here read and followed all the links in the All motor section where Caeser's Chariot, Tatanko, DandyMax, GTR-rider & others consolidated everything 00vi related?? That's basically all you need to know and then some.
just myself and very few others lol tatanko's is a good place to start to get all your general knowledge about it
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tallguesse07
search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button search button

also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum also look under performance and all motor sections of this forum
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM

You will actually have less of a power band. I drove mine around for two weeks before I installed the rpm switch and the power is dead by 5500, my butt dyno would say guess it peak atleast 500 rpm sooner than the usim.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 PM

hmm, now im really curious as to what benefit the 4th gen has from the vacuum line

i ran the rpm switch when i swapped it so i dont know what it would feel like without it
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 AM

Sorry worded question wrong was falling asleep reading and actually serching before i posted the first time i ment to put what would be better vafc or jwt and i can i use any 00vi even if im in cali and if so would it have any changes with smog mostly the smog is wat im worried about cuz cali is way to strict about it

Last edited by tallguesse07; 07-13-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
just myself and very few others lol tatanko's is a good place to start to get all your general knowledge about it
Yup.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 AM

I had my power rod removed it gives you more top end. But useless without a extended rev
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vqzengel30
00vi Setup
4th gen LIM / stock injectors
5th gen UIM
5th gen throttle body
custom EGR and throttle body block off plates
no IACV
Jegs RPM switch set at 4900
That's gotta be one of the prettiest 00VI setups. Love the grey valve cover complimenting the 5th gen UIM. You could go further and ut hot electric blue stripes here and there to set off the blue cone filter

DW
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM

So is anyone out there doing an 00VI AND an FSTB? If so, how you get it to work? I understsand that the 00VI introduces clearance issues with the stock 4th gen FSTB. Is the 5th gen motor sitting slightly lower or something?

DW
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 PM

Ok then i have a n00b question. Does the USIM upper manifold bolt up to a 00vi lower manifold?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 AM

not direct bolt, you would need to drill the 5th lower... but why?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
So is anyone out there doing an 00VI AND an FSTB? If so, how you get it to work? I understsand that the 00VI introduces clearance issues with the stock 4th gen FSTB. Is the 5th gen motor sitting slightly lower or something?

DW
I'm using a 5th gen FSTB. There are clearance issues with the hood, but not the 00vi. I rotated it back towards the firewall so it clears the hood.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/7651486958/http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmellyfart/7651486958/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/schmellyfart/, on Flickr
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Depends on how much you want to remove. Its easiest with the uim removed.
It also depends if you have screws or bolts holding the vias in. I had to use a set of vise grips to break the screws loose when I initially removed my vias.
A bolt or two are a little difficult to get to with the uim installed, but it is doable. Just remove the vias and the spring first, then pull the power rod out the other side. You might have to jiggle the rod a bit to get it over the timing cover.

There's a thread floating around somewhere arguing about power rod vs no power rod. IIRC the consensus was:
Auto: dont do it
5MT: stock rev limit, probably not the best idea since your rpms will drop below 5k when you shift. So its up to you on this one.
5MT: extended revs. remove it.
are you stating that the rod should come out from the bottom of the UIM while removed? I already have the manifold on my car.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by clint240sx
are you stating that the rod should come out from the bottom of the UIM while removed? I already have the manifold on my car.
No it will come out of the side. There's a little cover on the passenger side of the manifold.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After reading this whole thread; I have a cpl of questions if I may ask

1. If I swap:
00vi UIM + LIM
5TH valve cover
5TH coil pack
5TH throttle body with egr
5TH fuel line;
What type of HP gain will I see on my 98 DE running with automatic trans without out having to tunning or adding any header , y pipes, or rpm switch ...

2. I see most of you guys are not keeping the swap with complete 5th gen parts as i have read over many threads..... so whats confusing to me is .. can or can you not use or keep any 4th gen parts on the swap?

3. Rpm switch; is that for people in Cali who have the swirl valve ? and cant i just take that off with out having to get the rpm switch to activate it?

4. and out of respect ... please explain a lil more about gas issue with your swaps.... does the DE-K full swap chug more or does 00VI swap ??
Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by FMINUS
After reading this whole thread; I have a cpl of questions if I may ask

1. If I swap:
00vi UIM + LIM
5TH valve cover
5TH coil pack
5TH throttle body with egr
5TH fuel line;
What type of HP gain will I see on my 98 DE running with automatic trans without out having to tunning or adding any header , y pipes, or rpm switch ...

2. I see most of you guys are not keeping the swap with complete 5th gen parts as i have read over many threads..... so whats confusing to me is .. can or can you not use or keep any 4th gen parts on the swap?

3. Rpm switch; is that for people in Cali who have the swirl valve ? and cant i just take that off with out having to get the rpm switch to activate it?

4. and out of respect ... please explain a lil more about gas issue with your swaps.... does the DE-K full swap chug more or does 00VI swap ??
1. I believe shadyonedeath might have a similar dyno, though he did use an v/safc.

2. Yes you can use 4th gen parts, they just need to be modified.

3. No, the 00vi has another valve/rod inside of it that you need another device to control it.

4. They will be that same if you use the 5th gen injectors with the 00vi. In my case, my fuel economy did not suffer from running untuned with 5th gen injectors. Though it largely depends on how often you get on the throttle.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM

I was gonna start installing my 00VI last weekend but after a compression test I may just skip straight to a VQ35.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
skip straight to a VQ35.
+1
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
oem ftw!

Here's how mine looked. Never really got a chance to mount the 4th gen IACV anywhere, it always kind of floated there . In retrospect, I really should have just used the 5th gen iacv. RIP my '95 :

IIRC, I had: 5th gen LIM (swirl valves removed, holes welded shut), injectors, rear coils, valve cover, summit rpm switch.

Short ram from e-bay:
Name:  img046.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  109.9 KB

5th gen stock intake modified to fit:
Name:  09e81086.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  100.2 KB

If anyone is curious about the steps I took to get the 5th gen intake to fit, I made a mini write-up a few years ago on pg2 of this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...e-ideas-2.html
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM

egr delete

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I'm getting my swap done by the end of April.
my set up will be:
5th Gen UIM
4th Gen LIM
4th Gen fuel rail/injectors
5th Gen throttle body
4th Gen iacv with adapter plate
EGR delete (already fully deleted from installing headers)

I had custom block off plates made by my friends dad. He only charged me $20.00. 4 plates were made: IACV adapter plate, EGR plate for bottom of manifold, VIAS block off plate and 5th Gen IACV throttle body block off plate.

All I need to install is new gaskets for everything and time to tap the lower intake manifold. Hopefully won't run into any problems.
how did you do that? i read around a bit but no specifics... i will be getting headers too with no egr bung in them and i have a block off plate from an 01vi. so header and intake manifold are taken car of. but what do i do about all the stuff in between? is there a quick way to just plug things up and let the temp sensor dangle?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM

how did you do that? i read around a bit but no specifics... i will be getting headers too with no egr bung in them and i have a block off plate from an 01vi. so header and intake manifold are taken car of. but what do i do about all the stuff in between? is there a quick way to just plug things up and let the temp sensor dangle?
It makes more sense once you get in there, just unbolt it and remove everything except for the solenoids and the temp sensor.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM

hmmm...I got a 3.0 laying around my garage, maybe if the 3.5 doesn't work out I will attempt this. It seems very doable, but there aren't any dynos where I live, hence the reason I kinda think the 3.5 swap won't pan out. I guess I can try to tune with the inovative wb and perhaps a vafc..but I don't know **** about tuning which is my ignorance at fault.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
hmmm...I got a 3.0 laying around my garage, maybe if the 3.5 doesn't work out I will attempt this. It seems very doable, but there aren't any dynos where I live, hence the reason I kinda think the 3.5 swap won't pan out. I guess I can try to tune with the inovative wb and perhaps a vafc..but I don't know **** about tuning which is my ignorance at fault.
thats a pretty easy part. i had help putting it in and setting it up but tuning is cake...

have your o2 put in just after the y collector
use 3rd gear pulls on the highway and/or somewhere quiet
set the throttle Lo for 20 or 25% and Hi at about 55%
then set your throttle points (500rpm increments work well)

tune low end (1500-3500rpm) by doing WOT and watch the afr guage. add or subtract fuel as needed (in the Hi throttle setting) to get a healthy 13afr. that is all you do for wide open.

then do the same thing for the upper rev range WOT.

the part throttle settings you can adjust in the city in 3rd and/or highway in 5th. sometimes you need to correct part throttle for higher load situations cause the 14.7 afr the o2's are shooting for might be too lean. i adjusted for 1.5k-3k rpm (added +2 throughout) and that solved my 5th gear, 30-40%throttle 2.5k-3k knock as well as 3rd gear same rpm at ~25% throttle. only adjust the needed bits if you get knock the rest leave 0 correction.

tuning is very doable on your own and its pretty accurate imo

and the 00vi is a lot less work than the vq35 swap thats for sure
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Here's a link with tons of info on the swap including multiple ways of doing it for anyone who is interested http://tatanko.boredmder.com/ just click on "00VI Swap" on the left.
Originally Posted by The Wizard
You guys are recreating the wheel.

Everything you need to know is here.

http://tatanko.boredmder.com/
Most of what you guys are looking for is in the link that has been provided more then once, take the time to read it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM

It makes more sense once you get in there, just unbolt it and remove everything except for the solenoids and the temp sensor.
thats always true but just a quick q

can i cut and weld shut #4 and #5, leave #7 plugged in?

Last edited by carsnwomen91; 08-21-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Most of what you guys are looking for is in the link that has been provided more then once, take the time to read it.
that and the 00vi manual are only good basic foundations

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...1999-se-l.html

this is the best how to yet and i think it may also be in the how to in the 4th gen 00vi info section... i didn't find egr delete
Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 AM

thats always true but just a quick q

can i cut and weld shut #4 and #5, leave #7 plugged in?
Yes. But if you're installing headers with no EGR bung, then you only need to worry about closing on #5.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM

bump!!! anyone else have input here?? ill be jumping into this sometime in the future,full 5th gen setup including iacv msd 8969 for the time being...pending the actual install i may end up with an emanage or vafc2 idk yet, is there really a point to NWP spacers for this???
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Spacers always help with heat
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Which RPM switch can you use that will not lose its settings when you unplug the battery? I want to be able to set and forget my 00VI....I envv those 2000 and later maximas. They never have to think about their VI because it's just there.

Quick Reply: Official 00VI thread