4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Quick question/observation about differences in injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Quick question/observation about differences in injectors

I'm currently working on a friends Maxima. I was just about to drop in the new injectors purchased from Ebay when I noticed a discrepancy.

The Ebay injector is on the left. It has the Nissan logo on it so I feel confident it's genuine. The Ebay ad claims they are Nissan refurbished, cleaned and flow tested injectors. The distance from the top of the injector to where the fuel goes into the injector is 5/8th of an inch. The fuel comes into the thicker part of the injector body, and the hole is quit bigger than OEM.

The OEM injector that I pulled is on the right. Notice the difference where the fuel goes in and the filter screen; it's on the smaller part of the fuel injector body. The distance from the top of the injector to where the fuel goes into the injector is about 1 inch.

When I look and measured the fuel rail, it's about 1 inch as well from the top of the rail to the center of the opening where the fuel comes to the injector from the rail.

What do you guys think? Does this discrepancy matter? I think it does and I'm not feeling too confident using these injectors, even though the listing clearly said they were meant for 95-99 Maximas. I even bought them from the same guy a few guys here lately have linked to on Ebay.

Name:  008_zps386a4696.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  46.6 KB

Last edited by The Wizard; 09-28-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 PM
4th Gen Parts King

From all the injectors I have seen the one on the left looks normal. The one on the right looks like an aftermarket. Were all 6 like that?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
From all the injectors I have seen the one on the left looks normal. The one on the right looks like an aftermarket. Were all 6 like that?
Thanks for your input Joe. Yes, all 6 are like that.

Several months ago, I had injector issues on my daily driver which I believe to have OEM injectors. Here's a picture. Notice they look just like the injector I pulled.

Name:  20140225_142622_zpsfea9nzbc.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  123.2 KB
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Did a little searching. The manufacture of the left injector is JECS. Nissan must have uses a different manufacture later on but I can't seem to find out the manufacturer.
Either style will work fine in our fuel rail.

Are both your daily and the current car your working on 99's?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 PM

The injector on the left was used only in the 1995-96 models and the one on the right was used on the 97-99 models which was a new and updated version of the injectors. Nissan had updated the injectors to this new design and was used in the 97-99 models of the Maxima's. Unisia jecs makes OEM parts for Nissan including the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, ecu, throttle position sensor and the mass air flow sensor. I would only use OEM injectors on my car as they will cause no problems in the future.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
Did a little searching. The manufacture of the left injector is JECS. Nissan must have uses a different manufacture later on but I can't seem to find out the manufacturer.
Either style will work fine in our fuel rail.

Are both your daily and the current car your working on 99's?
Thanks Joe. Upon closer inspection, the Ebay injector has the Nissan logo as I mentioned before, and also has JECS written on the fuel screen. The other injector does not have the Nissan logo on it or JECS on the fuel screen.

My daily is a 98, and the car I'm working on is a 99.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
The injector on the left was used only in the 1995-96 models and the one on the right was used on the 97-99 models which was a new and updated version of the injectors. Nissan had updated the injectors to this new design and was used in the 97-99 models of the Maxima's. Unisia jecs makes OEM parts for Nissan including the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, ecu, throttle position sensor and the mass air flow sensor. I would only use OEM injectors on my car as they will cause no problems in the future.
Thanks for the post and the info, much appreciated!

I'm a little bummed I wound up with 95/96 injectors. I will give them a shot and see how they work out.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Thanks for the post and the info, much appreciated!

I'm a little bummed I wound up with 95/96 injectors. I will give them a shot and see how they work out.
Is newer always better? From the looks of it, the older injector has a much larger inlet screen area...potentially better coupling with the fuel rail and the dynamic fuel pressure environment. It looks more expensive to manufacture, but better too.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Is newer always better? From the looks of it, the older injector has a much larger inlet screen area...potentially better coupling with the fuel rail and the dynamic fuel pressure environment. It looks more expensive to manufacture, but better too.
I thought of that too, but I like how the 97-99 injector fuel feed opening lines up directly with the fuel rail opening. There isn't a 3/8th inch difference like the 95/96 style has. However, the opening where the fuel goes into the injector is much much bigger on the 95/96 style too (should've taken a pic) which I'm thinking is a good thing. Call me crazy, but on the 97-99 style, I like how the opening is on the smaller part of the injector body, which means there's more clearance from the fuel rail's cup sidewalls to where the fuel enters the injector, which means that opening is more easily submerged/surrounded with fuel. I'm probably just talking out my butt at this point, but that's my take on it.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 AM

The 95 motor I bought last winter with ~73,000 miles and the 99 model model all had injectors like the picture on the right. Also, I bought a refurb kit that looks like the injector on the right.

For the VH45DE I"m running BWD Black Dots that look like the picture on the right.

I didn't know Nissan made a Phase II injector that looked like the injector on the left. However, when I look at the rail supply pipe opening in the picture, it does appear to line up better with the screen position on the new injectors. I could be wrong, but I like the replacement injector screen position.

Name:  RailPic4.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  48.0 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 09-30-2014 at 04:14 AM.