4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

URGENT: Odd "no start" issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM

URGENT: Odd "no start" issue

I need URGENT help diagnosing a slighty odd starting problem on a '98 Maxima. I'm not sure what these symptoms mean.
`

Car was making a little squeal at dead cold startup one out of four times back in the Summer. I thought it was a belt, but after belt replacement and much adjustment and still some issues, I started to think it was the starter not disengaging and making a similar noise. Hard to pin down, since it doesn't do it every time and I can't reproduce it to listen to. That was a few months ago. It's been about the same with the car living in its remote location (I don't get to play with it).

Car has been driven only five minutes each way on bi-daily commutes for the last few months. Today it began a long holiday drive. After an hour on the road, stop for gas... car cranks but won't fire. Try. Wait, Try again. After maybe five attempts, it starts up and runs rough then is OK. I'm thinking that perhaps the TB and associated stuff is dirty (plugs and air filter are new; TB, etc cleaned per the procedures here back in early Spring).

Drive three more hours. Shut off car. WON'T CRANK to restart. Huh? Nothing. No crank at all. Unfortunately I'm not with the car to rap on the starter, etc. After ten attempts over time, suddenly it cranks and fires up.

SO, it kind of sounds like a starter problem, but why would it crank and not fire in the first incident? Would a bad solenoid in the starter (or something else) keep power from the ignition/plugs and prevent startup even with cranking? Or do I have two issues? Cable maybe?

I need to fix this over the holiday weekend as the car MUST head back home on another long drive on Sunday. So, I'm willing to throw some parts at it, but I'd like to be more confident in what it is.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm thinking ignition switch, it's a known failure item in our cars. Next time it acts up, run the gear selector through the gears and jam it up in park. Then try to start it, wiggle the key in the cylinder. See if you can any different results.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I'm thinking ignition switch, it's a known failure item in our cars. Next time it acts up, run the gear selector through the gears and jam it up in park. Then try to start it, wiggle the key in the cylinder. See if you can any different results.

Hmm... good point. How big a job is changing it?

EDIT: Are aftermarket units OK for the switch?

Last edited by BobMax; 11-26-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No hard and yes.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Thanks, I will head in there.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I'm having the same problem as the OP. Before giving up and calling AAA, I tried exactly what you said, as it has worked before. Didn't work that time.

When AAA came, he whacked the starter with a breaker bar and the car cranked up normally. (I would have done that, but my tools stay in my car and not hers)

I would recommend that the OP, as I am about to do this week, invest in a starter.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Your battery okay?

Terminals loose?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 PM

Here's a picture of three starters below.

1) Starter on the left was a New starter from China. The starter would not disengage after starting the car. It made a loud hum until I could disconnected the battery. I know of at least two other members that experienced problems with starters like that one. Advance Auto refunded my money for that starter.

2) Starter in the middle is a Remy Rebuilt "ToughOne Brand" with a lifetime warranty that I purchased from Advance Auto using the TRT41 online discount code for $40 off. I bought a Remy Rebuilt starter some years ago at a salvage yard from a wrecked Maxima. So I have two of Remy Rebuilt starters in service on the I30 and Maxima SE that are running without issue. I've been running the salvage yard starter for over 3 years now.

3) The starter on the right is the OEM starter that I replaced with the starter in the middle.

As you can see the China starter has a different looking gear as compared the the Remy and the OEM.

Name:  Maxima_Starter_zps75b50d38.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  67.9 KB
Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Yeah... battery seems to be fine, as evidenced by it starting up fine moments later. I will be checking the cables, but unless there is something really funky, I can't account for both the "no start" and "no crank" from a battery cable. Maybe one of the other wires in the circuit.

Either way, I will be replacing both the switch and the starter. I think it's probably the switch in this case, but since I had those starting noises a while back and the starter was on my list, I figure I will do both. FWIW, I also found out that some of the starting noises had recently returned. Still not 100% sure they are the starter.

Picked up a Bosch rebuilt starter at NAPA yesterday. I was a little wary of the Tough One... but if I'd seen your post before purchasing, I might have been swayed. In this case, since it's not me driving and the car will be far away, I spent the extra cash to try to make sure there are no issues. The difference is starter costs can't come close to the "cost" if this breaks down six hours from me. Hopefully the Bosch quality is still there.

Last edited by BobMax; 11-28-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm with you on avoiding the cost of a break down. I would be surprised if you have any trouble with the Bosch. I see www.rockauto.com has them listed as the "high end" part.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...598&cc=1356780
Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Ignition switch in (almost too easy), starter in (just as easy). Hopefully this solves the issue no-start as well as an occasional hang in the starter.