4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 Maxima starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1995 Maxima starting issue

I have a 1995 Maxima with automatic transmission I purchased for my daughter. It has issues with starting. I have to pump the accelerator to get it started and give it some gas for about 5-10 seconds until it idles on it's own. Once idling on it's own, it runs great. No stalling or hesitation. The battery is newer and it turns over great. After reading several forums, I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel pump. None of these have helped. I also read that it could be the ignition switch. I took it off last night and the car started up 4 times straight using a screwdriver in the switch. I put some electrical tape in the slot to take up slop and put everything back together. It starts better a few times without giving it gas, and other times I have had to pump it several times. My next course will be to take off the ignition switch and see if it starts right up after sitting outside over night. If it does, should I just replace the switch or the entire lock cylinder. The only CEL codes were for the MAF and IAT sensor. I think those codes were thrown when I unplugged them to see if it made a difference in starting. Any suggestions are appreciated. The Maxima has 230000 miles, but the previous owner had it since 4000 miles and it's in great shape. I just want it to start like it should so my daughter doesn't kill the starter.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Clean MAF, clean the throttle body, clean IACV, clear the code. At that mileage, I would suspect EGR tube is also clogged which is a common problem on 4th gen Max, and needs to be cleaned, search ERG tube, there are some good pictorial DIY threads.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
Clean MAF, clean the throttle body, clean IACV, clear the code. At that mileage, I would suspect EGR tube is also clogged which is a common problem on 4th gen Max, and needs to be cleaned, search ERG tube, there are some good pictorial DIY threads.
May want to do spark plugs and air filter while your at it, Did you get all the records with it
Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

RE: 1995 Maxima starting issue

Wouldn't these issues cause the car to run bad all the time? Once it is running, it runs great, accelerates great, and doesn't hesitate or stall. I'm trying to avoid throwing more money at the car, but I also don't want to get it serviced unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Daniel VQ30life
May want to do spark plugs and air filter while your at it, Did you get all the records with it
I did get the service records. The air filter is pretty clean. I pulled a plug shortly after I got the car and it looked clean. I need to check all the plugs, but this issues seems limited solely to starting. Once the engine is idling on it's own, it runs great.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ssmcmasters
I did get the service records. The air filter is pretty clean. I pulled a plug shortly after I got the car and it looked clean. I need to check all the plugs, but this issues seems limited solely to starting. Once the engine is idling on it's own, it runs great.
Sounds like everything is in great shape for the most part
Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Wouldn't these issues cause the car to run bad all the time? Once it is running, it runs great, accelerates great, and doesn't hesitate or stall. I'm trying to avoid throwing more money at the car, but I also don't want to get it serviced unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks
My 96 Max had similar starting issue like yours couple of years ago, I had to tap gas peddle to get the car started, but was getting progressively worse until she developed hesitation and stalled on red lights, thrown bunch of codes. I cleaned MAF, throttle body, IACV, EGR tube, changed spark plug, seafoamed the injectors, all little things without spend a lot of money (mainly cleaners, gaskets, spark plugs, etc.) and now the car starts right up since.

Also check vacuum leaks and ignition coils.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem...i had to remove transmission and sand it...
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Follow up on starting issue

I have a 1995 Maxima with automatic transmission I purchased for my daughter. It has issues with starting. I have to pump the accelerator to get it started and give it some gas for about 5-10 seconds until it idles on it's own. Once idling on it's own, it runs great. No stalling or hesitation. The battery is newer and it turns over great. After reading several forums, I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel pump. None of these have helped. I also read that it could be the ignition switch. I took it off last night and the car started up 4 times straight using a screwdriver in the switch. I put some electrical tape in the slot to take up slop and put everything back together. It starts better a few times without giving it gas, and other times I have had to pump it several times. My next course will be to take off the ignition switch and see if it starts right up after sitting outside over night. If it does, should I just replace the switch or the entire lock cylinder. The only CEL codes were for the MAF and IAT sensor. I think those codes were thrown when I unplugged them to see if it made a difference in starting. Any suggestions are appreciated. The Maxima has 230000 miles, but the previous owner had it since 4000 miles and it's in great shape. I just want it to start like it should so my daughter doesn't kill the starter.
Stuck some electrical tape in ignition switch slot because the car started right up by turning switch with screwdriver. Put new ignition switch in tonight and car started without touching gas pedal. I'm going to try again tonight after the car sits outside for several hours, but I think the problem is solved.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:16 PM

Good to see you are able to start it with a new switch. We've seen properly maintained 4th gens deliver 400,000 miles. You should have a lot of miles left in that car. There are some good preventative maintenance suggestions in the thread that you may want to consider doing at some point in the future.

I have an Infiniti I30 with roughly 275,000 miles that runs great. At approximately, 225,000 miles I performed the preventative maintenance cleaning items suggested earlier in this thread with new vacuum hoses. I contribute that to the reason the car is running so good as it approaches 300,000 miles.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.