4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gear jams while shifting from parking to reverse/drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gear jams while shifting from parking to reverse/drive

Hi,
My car's gear jams and does not easily shift to reverse or drive from the parking position. This only happens when I just sit in the car and start it( the car is in the cold weather and the engine is not yet hot). Once the car is in running condition, I do not face this shifting issue. To overcome this jamming, I apply little force on my gear and force it to shift to the reverse/ drive. Is this correct or am I doing any harm to my engine?

Is this a regular issue in winter season or is it something to do with the car being cold and the engine requires 5-10 minutes to get hot and then if I shift the gear, it should work fine?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:52 PM

You might what to check your rear motor mount. I had a similar thing happen to me. I didn't think too much of it but when I started the dreaded o-ring fix that's when I notice that my rear mount was broken. Maybe your mount isn't properly holding your engine in one place.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by nissan_maxima_1997
Hi,
My car's gear jams and does not easily shift to reverse or drive from the parking position. This only happens when I just sit in the car and start it( the car is in the cold weather and the engine is not yet hot). Once the car is in running condition, I do not face this shifting issue. To overcome this jamming, I apply little force on my gear and force it to shift to the reverse/ drive. Is this correct or am I doing any harm to my engine?

Is this a regular issue in winter season or is it something to do with the car being cold and the engine requires 5-10 minutes to get hot and then if I shift the gear, it should work fine?
when you start your engine cold, i assume you are usually leaving home or work, would that be correct?

if so, do you park on a incline? do you use your parking brake?

if you answered yes, yes, no

you are letting the weight of the vehicle rest on the tranny and that is why it is hard to get out of park.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM

I have the same problem with the I30. Actually it won't let you shift out of Park unless you let it run for 2 to 5 minutes and it starts to warm up. Actually my daughter thinks this is an Infiniti feature that requires the driver warm up the car before allowing it to be driven in cold weather. Ahhhh ok.

Possible culprits to check?

1) Brake light switch on the way out.
2) Shift lock control solenoid not moving far enough to release out of park and neutral -- needs a shim
3) Relay under the shifter that controls the selenoid
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Just another crazy idea if the others don't fix it.

Turn the heat off next time and see if the inside of the car getting warm or staying cold impacts the situation.

If heat in the car helps:

Check linkage on the shifter, the shifter button and to the key as well. Could be something mechanically simple between the handle and transmission. A bunch of things need to be set in perfect alignment for the smooth operation we take for granted.

Good luck. This kind of quirky problem probably has your imagination running away with itself picturing dollar $ign$!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I usually start when the car engine is cold. I do park on normal road, without any kind of inclination/slope. I always use the parking brake.

When it is not cold outside, the gear shift easily, only when it is very cold outside this issue occurs. Ill test next time, when it is cold outside, I will not use the heater and then see if this problem persists or the gear shift smoothly.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Shift lock solenoid gets sticky from coffee and pop spills. In cold weather it hangs and makes shifting a pain.

Could be your problem.

Sent from my XT1060 using Maxima
Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 PM

Noticed the same thing on mine today. It's a 98 with 55k and no stickyness or pop spills either. No inclines and only happens when cold. I made sure it wasn't resting on the transmission by hitting the brake before releasing the parking brake and then shifting, but it was still tight. Only happens out of park, between all the gears is fine. And slips out of park easier when warm. I'm in Florida, so when I say cold, it's not like up north cold where my 96 never did it with waay higher mileage
Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM

It seems Altima owners have something similar described as the "cold solenoid issue".

Can the solenoid be cleaned and lubricated?

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...d-weather.html

Note three things to check from other Nissan's with this issue:

1. shift lock solenoid. under center console. unplug its connector and put voltage across the coil terminals and ensure it clicks. No click indicates problem.

2. park position switch. should have continuity when shifter is in park. no continuity elsewhere.

3. brake switch. under dash drivers side. screwed into bracket near top of brake pedal. it's the switch without red wires going to it; there are probably two similar switches there. should have continuity across the switch when pedal out; no continuity when pedal pressed. it's adjustable, if adjustment doesn't fix, consider replacement.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-19-2014 at 08:21 PM.