4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone do a re-learn on their 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 PM

anyone do a re-learn on their 4th gen?

i've done one before cause my emissions wouldn't pass and i had to but it helped the throttle out and reset a few things back to normal and ran a little smoother. reason i want to do one again is after doing all the coils and injectors the idle is irregular cause before it was set high to compensate for the crappy idle. meow i have a high idle that jumps around a little and i'm hoping this combined with a pcv valve replacement will help that out.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Administrator

What exactly do you mean by a re-learn? How does one perform a re-learn?

Do you mean like what happens when you leave the battery disconnected for a day and the ECU clears stores codes and "re-learns"? Or something else?

When I think of the context of "re-learn", I think the ECU is constantly re-learning as we drive down the street daily. The ECU is constantly taking information from the sensors, taking said data and referencing if/then tables, and our cars drive and respond accordingly.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 PM

by re-learn at the dealer i meant to say they hook it up and let the idle re-learn oem specs again. they said it's a good idea after you do any work affecting throttle such as cleaning, replacing any parts such as coils or anything that would affect the idle. took about an hour and the idle settled way down, probably too low. idles in park at 500 rpm. thing that pisses me off is the fricking exhaust is popping a bit in park. what is causing the damn exhaust problem>??!?!?!!! dammit!!!!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM

The popping could be due to the low idle. I suggest raising the idle screw so it idles around the normal range (650-750)rpm.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM

From This Idle Thread. These were the instructions I followed to adjust mine.

Warm the engine up completely, drive it around for 10 min.
Turn engine off, disconnect TPS
Start the engine, no lights or acc. on at all, no load on the engine.
Adjust the default throttle body stop screw to optain ~550 - 600 RPM's
Turn off the engine, reconnect the TPS
Start the engine, verify correct idle speed of 650 - 700, if it's incorrect adjust IACV to obtain the correct idle speed.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Administrator

^ Don't forget, the FSM spells out what to do. No need for special tools, or hooking up the Consult port etc