Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 05-02-2001, 12:21 AM   #1

On hard acceleration from a standstill, the car seems to pull to the right up until the 2nd gear. Alignment guy told me that front wheel cars tend to do that after I had my alignment done at his shop. That just didn't sound right, thinking about bringing it to the dealer just make sure...Wondering if any 5sp 2k Max is doing the same.

18" R/H C2 Evos w/Kumho 235/40 Ecsta Supras, red rear turn signal bulbs & re-wired fog lights, debagged rear(except for the hamburger) Y&B pipe, Eibach springs, WAI, UPD, ftsb, rsb and hate IRS...

LESS IS MORE, UNLESS YOUR MODDING...

SHIfT_Happens All The Time
2kseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:35 AM   #2
Donating Maxima.org Member

Send a message via AIM to NuJerseyDrive Send a message via Yahoo to NuJerseyDrive
My Max does this too

I think it's what they call torque steer. Not that it's normal but I think other peoples Max's do this as well. Just another flaw from Nissan.
Old 05-02-2001, 03:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by 2kseman
On hard acceleration from a standstill, the car seems to pull to the right up until the 2nd gear. Alignment guy told me that front wheel cars tend to do that after I had my alignment done at his shop. That just didn't sound right, thinking about bringing it to the dealer just make sure...Wondering if any 5sp 2k Max is doing the same.
This is why Audi said, years ago, that 200hp was a practical limit for FWD and came up with Quattro for their more powerful cars. In the case of the maxima the torque steer is very mild with stock wheels of stock offset. With aftermarket wheels with the tire contact patch moved outwards this becomes a noticeable problem, as these type cars are very sensitive to wheel offset.

Dave
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:38 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Matticus
All high power front wheel drive cars do that. It is not "another Nissan" problem. My SHO that had problem also. There are costly ways to fix that, but it is cheaper to not accelerate as hard. Front wheel drive cars were designed for economy in mind, not performance.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:21 AM   #5
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Points: 28,726, Level: 99 Points: 28,726, Level: 99 Points: 28,726, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I just thought it had something to do with the differential allowing the wheel with more traction to grab better, therefore it gets more of the power distribution and thus pulls the car that direction. Mine seems to pull sometimes to the left, so this was my logic. Not sure though.
IceY2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 04:39 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses, at least I don't feel too bad about it, especially when you can't do anything about it, w/out the costly remedy that is....

18" R/H C2 Evos w/Kumho 235/40 Ecsta Supras, red rear turn signal bulbs & re-wired fog lights, debagged rear(except for the hamburger) Y&B pipe, Eibach springs, WAI, UPD, ftsb, rsb and hate IRS...

LESS IS MORE, UNLESS YOUR MODDING...

SHIfT_Happens All The Time
2kseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 07:23 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jashick
Quote:
Originally posted by IceY2K1
I just thought it had something to do with the differential allowing the wheel with more traction to grab better, therefore it gets more of the power distribution and thus pulls the car that direction. Mine seems to pull sometimes to the left, so this was my logic. Not sure though.
In a front wheel drive vehicle, since the tranny has to be positioned to turn the front wheels, it's placed off the center of the vehicle and turned. Hence, the distance from the differential to each of the front tires is different so torque steer occurs. This only happens when you floor it on a high powered car... not giving enough time for the differential to negotiate the power.

In a rear wheel drive vehicle, the drive shaft usually runs down the center of the car... and so the differential is located in the center (with respect to width). The distance between each rear wheel to the differential is the same... therefore, no torque steer.
jashick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 07:40 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to MaxSEAE Send a message via AIM to MaxSEAE
Quote:
Originally posted by Matticus
All high power front wheel drive cars do that. It is not "another Nissan" problem. My SHO that had problem also. There are costly ways to fix that, but it is cheaper to not accelerate as hard. Front wheel drive cars were designed for economy in mind, not performance.
i think this is harder said then done....to have something like the 5th gen max infront of u and not accel hard is hard....esp if there is a race about to take place
Old 05-02-2001, 07:40 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement