5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Overheating issues

Yesterday I was driving on the turnpike cruising at about 80 mph and suddenly my car just lost power. Didn't want to accelerate. As soon as that happened I noticed I was overheating. So I pulled on to the shoulder and let to cool for a bit. Waited about 30 mins and started it. Started with no problems but was still overheating so I put on the heat. Started driving to try to get to a safer place but would not go past 40 mph. Could this be a transmission problem? Was also hearing some kind of chattering when I was hitting the gas. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!! Also no warning lights came on!!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM
acw

What year?
How many miles?

-have you changed the alternator recently?
-chattering could be the values from the Heat?
-
Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

The cooling system and your transmission are interrelated because the transmission uses the cooling system to help keep your transmission fluid at proper temperature.

First and foremost fix your cooling system issue. Pop the hood and check your cooling level (has to be done when car is cold). Also, remove the radiator cap and the overflow cap to check the coolant condition. It should be bright green with no residue.

If the level is low you may have a leak somewhere. Look around the engine bay and also underneath the car for any white spotting or streaking as the coolant will leave white marks after it dries.

If you don't have a leak and the coolant condition is ok it could be a thermostat, flow issue (usually clogged radiator), and/or your cooling fans. The fans are easy enough to check. Start the car, and turn on your AC, set it cold. Both fans should operate. If they don't then you have a fan motor or electrical problem.

If it isn't the fans then check your flow. You can do this simply by getting the car up to operating temperature and comparing your radiator hose temperatures. If the radiator is clogged the hose to the engine (right side) will be cold). If the thermostat is not fully opening then the hose from the engine to the radiator (left side) will be easily compressible, or squeezable, as it is not full of fluid.

Worst case scenario would be the water pump, but that is not very common depending on the level of maintenance the cooling system has received. If you find the coolant to be in poor condition then it may be your water pump as that would indicate lack of maintenance on the cooling system.

Good luck and I hope it is just a simple cooling issue!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So figured out the overheating issue changed the thermostat. Now the issue is it feels like the car is holding back when I hit the gas. Like has no power when I accelerate. I was thinking I also have a bad cat? No check engine lights though. Anyone experience this??
Old 08-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Gsantos79
So figured out the overheating issue changed the thermostat. Now the issue is it feels like the car is holding back when I hit the gas. Like has no power when I accelerate. I was thinking I also have a bad cat? No check engine lights though. Anyone experience this??
Get the check engine scanned. Sometimes, although rare, the light won't go off but you will have engine codes. Do that first.

If no codes are shown from scanning pull your cats to check them. He front precast is easiest to pull off.