5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Multiple MisFire?" ---is Jesus Busy ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM
acw

"Multiple MisFire?" ---

Hi Friends,

3.5 is missing and Running Erratic (Almost like a few plugs have gone bad). AT THE STOP LIGHT it misses until i put it in Neutral---then idles better. TACH jumps "in neutral" but "REALLY jumps when i'm in gear" at the light. Missing and Sputtering on acceleration.

Codes come back with:
p0154 (oxy.sen.--bank 2)
p0168 (closed loop vent)
p0300 (random misfire)
What's the best way to attack these issues?

I'm thinking these steps:
  1. Change oxg.sen (front or right)---See if that fixes issue
  2. Change back coils and plugs (already did the front ones)
PS, is it ok to purchase a Oxy.Sensor Made by "Denso?" (Supposed to be OEM.)

*Your constructive input is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

Last edited by acw; 07-01-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

do #3 and call it the day.....
Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM
acw

Originally Posted by Lontar1
do #3 and call it the day.....
Ehhh...that was a joke Dude.

NEXT!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Jesus doesn't care about materialistic wealth
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yes, change primary front O2 sensor. Denso O2 is fine. Clear codes and see what happens.

If still problematic change out spark plugs on bank 2. Clear codes and run again. If still problematic change out ignition coils on bank 2.

It looks like the problem is isolated to bank 2.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by acw
Ehhh...that was a joke Dude.

NEXT!
I don't think that was intended to be a joke. 3.5's are plagued with bad valve covers, primarily the rear cover. Cylinder #3 is the middle cylinder in the rear bank which commonly has the leaky spark plug tube seal. Oil collects around the plug/coil and causes misfires.

Ergo, replace coil/plug #3 and call it a day.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
I don't think that was intended to be a joke. 3.5's are plagued with bad valve covers, primarily the rear cover. Cylinder #3 is the middle cylinder in the rear bank which commonly has the leaky spark plug tube seal. Oil collects around the plug/coil and causes misfires.

Just to add to that, it would also make sense to replace the covers with 6th gen valve covers while you're at it. Cheaper and more reliable.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 AM
acw

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Yes, change primary front O2 sensor. Denso O2 is fine. Clear codes and see what happens.

If still problematic change out spark plugs on bank 2. Clear codes and run again. If still problematic change out ignition coils on bank 2.

It looks like the problem is isolated to bank 2.
Thanks FM, so, process of elimination. I'll get started on it today. thank you.

QUESTION: I'm assuming that Bank 2 are those plugs in the FRONT (same location as Oxy.Sens) ? ? ? ---or am i wrong?

thanks Uncle, i figure while i'm back there, might as well change them all in the back.

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Just to add to that, it would also make sense to replace the covers with 6th gen valve covers while you're at it. Cheaper and more reliable.
thanks for that tip Cotozic....i'll start shopping for one today.

ANYWAY, thanks dudes. Hope all is well where you are!

~T

Last edited by acw; 07-02-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:46 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yes.

Bank 1 = nearest to firewall (cylinders, 1, 3, and 5)

Bank 2 = nearest to radiator (cylinders 2, 4, and 6)

What someone else mentioned as a problem with the cylinder 3 oil, it does not appear to be your problem at the moment since the engine codes point to bank 2 (cylinders 2, 4, and 6). I would focus on the bank 2 right now.

If you have plenty of money it wouldn't hurt to change the valve covers as mentioned, change the spark plugs, and ignition coils. To do all of that you are probably looking around $600 or $700. The ignition coils being the most expensive parts around $80 a piece depending on where you shop.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 AM

what you missed is that before OP edited his post his list had a 3rd option:

3. pray to jesus to fix it

or something like that. hence the "do #3 and call it a day"
Old 07-02-2015, 07:17 AM
acw

Originally Posted by cornholio

That's the way it sometimes Bro....you do the best you can, and then say a couple of "Hail Mary's! "
Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio

Haha, oh well. I guess I read into it too much, though it's still a valid point .

What someone else mentioned as a problem with the cylinder 3 oil, it does not appear to be your problem at the moment since the engine codes point to bank 2 (cylinders 2, 4, and 6). I would focus on the bank 2 right now.
P0300 is random misfire which could point to either cylinder bank. P0154 points to the bank 2 O2 sensor. Totally separate from the cylinder banks.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by "Unclejunebug;
P0300 is random misfire which could point to either cylinder bank. P0154 points to the bank 2 O2 sensor. Totally separate from the cylinder banks.
Not correct...a poor fuel/air mixture which a bad O2 sensor can give you can lead to a misfire and a P0300 code. So they are related.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Not correct...a poor fuel/air mixture which a bad O2 sensor can give you can lead to a misfire and a P0300 code. So they are related.
Ah, sh*t! How could I have missed that?! In my mind the O2 sensor banks were separate from cylinder banks but that makes complete sense that the bank1 sensors correlate to the bank1 cylinders and bank2 sensors correlate to bank2 cylinders. My mistake! Consider me humbled
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Ah, sh*t! How could I have missed that?! In my mind the O2 sensor banks were separate from cylinder banks but that makes complete sense that the bank1 sensors correlate to the bank1 cylinders and bank2 sensors correlate to bank2 cylinders. My mistake! Consider me humbled
No worries...no one is perfect. For the O2 sensors it also matters if it is a primary (controls fuel/air ratio) or secondary (cat performance). If he had an O2 code for secondary sensor then yes he needs to focus on the spark plugs and ignition coils on all cylinders; it wouldn't be focused on only one bank.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:15 AM
acw

thanks Buds....where would be a good place to get the sensor?

CORRECTON: Just ordered it from Rock Parts. Lets see what happens

Last edited by acw; 07-03-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have done that

I have done all this thanks to oil in #1 i changed coil on plugs the spark plugs both valve covers all 3 upper intake gaskets and all the vacuum lines going to the upper intake.....multiple misefire still pops up now cat code pulls up.. not sure which one i got pissed and gave up for two weeks oh and i had to change cam pos sensor on bank 2 me n my wife would love anybody's help we ain't even made the third car payment yet....thanks and god bless
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
acw

Originally Posted by lacygilmore87
I have done all this thanks to oil in #1 i changed coil on plugs the spark plugs both valve covers all 3 upper intake gaskets and all the vacuum lines going to the upper intake.....multiple misfire still pops up now cat code pulls up.. not sure which one i got pissed and gave up for two weeks oh and i had to change cam pos sensor on bank 2 me n my wife would love anybody's help we ain't even made the third car payment yet....thanks and god bless
Did you change the oxy.sensors? There are two on the motor, right (closest to radiator) and left. I just ordered mine from Rock Parts...paid about $75 bucks. Hopefully this solves my problems. I saw no oil leak in the back of my motor...so i don't know if i have to go there yet. Try the Sensors...or maybe the VIAS.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 AM
acw

Originally Posted by chrome91
technically the flashing CEL means severe catalytic converter damage is occurring have you even scanned the car for codes yet?
Originally Posted by DennisMik
A random mis-fire will turn on the check engine light. When the check engine light is blinking, that means that the mis-firing is becoming more severe and is happening at that moment.
Thanks buds...

As i mentioned (in this thread) LINK...i'm getting p0154 (oxy.sen.--bank 2), p0168 (closed loop vent) and p0300 (random misfire).

After SEEING the constant SES light, i pulled the car off the road (asap). Fortunately, i have a spare vehicle (Nissan PU). Am now waiting for the Oxy.Sen Part to arrive from Rock Parts.

NOTE
: Started the car this morning and it still missing, BUT the "Flashing SES" light is GONE....and its once again SOLID. Never-the-less, after doing some research, i will not drive the car until this "misfire issue" is resolved.

HOPING that the oxy.sen will solve this misfire Issue. Keeping fingers crossed.

For those of you kind enough to submit constructive input...i say "Thank you!"

~AC
Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM

I never looked up the P0168 code before and I finally got curious. So I went and looked it up and my curiosity changed to surprise. I can't find P0168 in either the Infiniti or Maxima service manuals.

According to the book for my OBD code reader, P0168 is "fuel temperature too high". But according to the 95-99 Maxima service manual, "fuel temperature too high" is P0180. However, I can't find P0180 in the 5th gen Maxima or the I35 service manuals.

If I believe my OBD code reader book, this is a possibility. There is a temperature sensor in the gas tank.

I know that there are other codes that are not in the service manual, for example codes in the P161x family that are for NATS.

I hesitate to suggest anything for the P0168 code. All I can do is ask you to verify that the P0168 number is correct.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM
acw

I never looked up the P0168 code before and I finally got curious. So I went and looked it up and my curiosity changed to surprise. I can't find P0168 in either the Infiniti or Maxima service manuals.

According to the book for my OBD code reader, P0168 is "fuel temperature too high". But according to the 95-99 Maxima service manual, "fuel temperature too high" is P0180. However, I can't find P0180 in the 5th gen Maxima or the I35 service manuals.

If I believe my OBD code reader book, this is a possibility. There is a temperature sensor in the gas tank.

I know that there are other codes that are not in the service manual, for example codes in the P161x family that are for NATS.

I hesitate to suggest anything for the P0168 code. All I can do is ask you to verify that the P0168 number is correct.
SORRY DENNIS...its p1168---which is closed loop vent 2
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 AM

I'm glad that it's not P0168. I don't know how a gas tank could overheat, but I wouldn't want to be around a car that had that happening.

Hopefully that O2 sensor will clear up all the codes for you.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 AM
acw

I'm glad that it's not P0168. I don't know how a gas tank could overheat, but I wouldn't want to be around a car that had that happening.

Hopefully that O2 sensor will clear up all the codes for you.
Thanks Man...a little pressure on me. Got to feed 2 little girls and these cars troubles are cutting into my wallet.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had that multiple misfire code come out on my max. It ended up being the camshaft sensor on bank 1. And I also cleaned the VTC solenoid with brake cleaner. It sure needed it.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the random misfire code on and off for two years now. i did notice that oil gets into the plugs in the rear valve cover so i got a new one and oil still gets in. idk what the problem is.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by atripptwice
I've had the random misfire code on and off for two years now. i did notice that oil gets into the plugs in the rear valve cover so i got a new one and oil still gets in. idk what the problem is.
Get a valve cover for a 6th gen. They are made different and they seal better. And as an added bonus, they are less expensive.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 AM
acw

Still trying to Solve this Misfire Issue. Changed the Oxy Sensor, bank 1, no change. Car is still Misfiring.

Originally Posted by superx00b
I had that multiple misfire code come out on my max. It ended up being the camshaft sensor on bank 1. And I also cleaned the VTC solenoid with brake cleaner. It sure needed it.
Thanks man..where is the VTC solenoid located?
I've tried searching web---and come up with different information and web images ? ? ?

Get a valve cover for a 6th gen. They are made different and they seal better. And as an added bonus, they are less expensive.
Thanks Dennis...is the BOTH THE COVER AND GASKET...or Just the Gasket ?

Last edited by acw; 07-18-2015 at 10:57 AM.