5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please help new 01 i30 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help new 01 i30 owner

hi guys i just bought a used 2001 i30 with 117k i love it so far its comfy. I have a problem please i could use some help im trying to install my doubl din avh-x4600bt stereo. i did a bunch of reaserch on the forum and crutchfield for parts. i have everthing needed and im in process of the install. i got everthing good the metra 99-7609g fits nice. and i have the metra 70-7551 harness. i got everything wired up and ready to just snap together connectors and bolt in stereo.
My only problem im running into that is so fustrating and i cant seem to figure out. there no instructions with my metra harness and i cant find online. but my infinity also has the nav unit. and when i plug in connectors my dd stereo does not turn on!!! i put it off to the side and hooked up the stock stereo and nav unit and they turn on. If the nav unit is not pluged in though the stereo will not turn on when the car is on. Right when i plug in the nav connector it powers on the stereo?? the metra harnes has nothing to do with the nav connector. it only snaps into the amp connector and stereo connector. I cant figure out why my dd wont ppower on. why will stock radio only power on with nav unit pluged in? i tested and got 12v on switched power when car is on? i dont understand what to do please any help appreciated
Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 PM

That's odd that the Nav unit has to be plugged in for the OEM stereo to function. As far as I know the head unit is not unique to GPS vs No GPS... however. There may be a difference in wiring harnesses. Possibly the non-GPS harness has some sort of "bridge" to close a loop which powers the GPS.

Check these out. I realize they are talking about installing an OEM GPS unit instead of the exact task you are doing, but possibly some light could be shed to answer your questions...

https://maxima.org/forums/infiniti-i...avigation.html

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...i30-10181.html
Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 PM

Is this a case of there is no power to the dd radio (no lights or display) or that it has no sound?

If you don't have any instructions, what did you use as a guide for soldering the wires together?

Even with instructions, a common mistake is that the radio antenna wire has to go to 2 wires in the infiniti harness, the antenna amplifier wire and the speaker amplifier on wire. But part of this is the radio. Does it have an amplifier on wire as well as an antenna wire?

And then there is the question if the Metra wire adapter even has the amplifier on wire in it. Without instructions, who knows? I can't help you there.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I no it seems weird. Im doing a bunch of research and I can't find this problem. I'm not understanding what going on. Once im figuring it out I no ill b happy with the install. I just don't get it. The connector that goes in the radio has a constant hot and the switched hot comes on when turn the key. So I don't understand what going on. I wanted to post a video of my stock stereo playing then when I unplug nav connector the stereo cuts off.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 PM

The way I read the schematics, the stock radio has 3 connectors in it. A 6 wire, a 10 wire and a 20 (?) wire. The 6 and 10 wire connectors are the same for the navigation and non navigation cars. The 20 (?) wire connector is unique to the navigation unit models.

I can accept the stock radio cutting off because it is a special radio made specifically for the navigation system. But the Pioneer wasn't made for the navigation system and could care less about that connector you pulled. All it wants is 12 volts on pin 6 and 10 of the 10 wire connector and the speaker wires of which the front speakers are in the 10 wire connector and the rear speakers are in the 6 wire connector.

I think that it may be one of 2 things. Either the Pioneer and Metra harnesses aren't connected properly or the Pioneer unit is bad. Did you check the fuse on the back of the Pioneer?
Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmm.. I never checked the fuse on the pioneer unit. I no the unit works, it was in my last car but it been back in the box sitting for a couple months. Ill double check fuse. The Metra harness was pretty straight forward color to color match to the pioneer deck. I can double check that wiring but im sure its all good. When I test the harness with it plugged into pioneer unit on the connector im getting 12v on yellow wire and 12v on red switched(im I suppose to have 12v on remote wire? Or is that just for amp?). So maybe the fuse cam be bad. Im gonna go outside n check.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 PM

OK - here is a link to the Metra 70-7551 wire adapter pinouts.

http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuit.../120707551.PDF

So the Pioneer and Metra harnesses have to be connected like this:

Code:
Pioneer       Metra          function
-------       -----          --------
yellow        yellow         constant 12 volts
red           red            switched 12 volts
orange        orange/white   dash light

blue/white─┬─ blue/white     amplifier on
           └─ blue           antenna

black─────┬── black          chassis ground         
          └── black/white    chassis ground

Last edited by DennisMik; 07-21-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay I went out and checked all my wiring from harness to pioneer and it all looks right. Except on pioneer I have just one blue/white and I have both blue/white n blue from metra tied on to the one blue/white on deck.

I tested the fuse and I have continuity. My wiring looks correct. And the stock radio does turn on without nav. There 4 connectors on the stereo and if all are not plugged in it won't turn on. But metra harness only plugs into two of them. Im really lost now, im I the only one who has had this problem? I have 12 constant 12 switched. And fuse on deck is good. I dont see how the stereo is bad when it was just sitting?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow I feel so dumb right now... how does one not check the first thing! Ground. I assumed the factory connector was grounded? And the harness would utilize the ground from factory. I guess I was wrong for assuming. In the post you posted above with the instructions it said to separately ground them to chassis. So I said what the heck! let me check continuity from ground to the ground on harness and no continuity. So I grounded it to chassis myself and surprise surprise, on comes the pioneer. Thank you for your guys time. I feel so dumb will post pic tomorrow