5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 AM

Front End Vibration

Hello,

I have a 2000 SE with 213,000+ miles. I've recently developed a very harsh front end vibration when going over 40 mph. I took it to get an alignment, and that did not help any. The claimed that my rim is bent, which is far from the case being that these rims and tires are brand new. I do know that my CV axle (driverside) needs to be replaced, due to a loud clicking noise when I make hard/sharp turns. Could this be the reason for my vibration?

I did jack the car up, and spin the wheel. The wheel and tire seem to move up and down slightly. Not sure why this happens, and I assume this is what happens while I am driving. But, for reference, my setup is 225/30ZR20. Someone help me!
Attached Thumbnails Front End Vibration-img_20150907_102309.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 AM

If the wheel looks like it's moving up and down it's probably bent. Swap the wheels left to right and see if the same wheel moves while you spin it. Watch the rim closely. If it's a tire problem it can create the illusion that the rim is moving.

Also. Swap the wheels front to back and drive it. If it's a wheel problem the vibration will go away or move to the back where it's a lot less noticeable.

The idea is to eliminate the easiest and most obvious causes first.

An axle problem will usually show on acceleration or under power.

Did this start when you got the new wheels?

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 09-07-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
If the wheel looks like it's moving up and down it's probably bent. Swap the wheels left to right and see if the same wheel moves while you spin it. Watch the rim closely. If it's a tire problem it can create the illusion that the rim is moving.

Also. Swap the wheels front to back and drive it. If it's a wheel problem the vibration will go away or move to the back where it's a lot less noticeable.

The idea is to eliminate the easiest and most obvious causes first.

An axle problem will usually show on acceleration or under power.

Did this start when you got the new wheels?
Thanks for the timely response.

This issue actually started with the last set of wheels (about 3 weeks ago) so I swapped them out thinking that they were bent. The shop I purchased them from said that the last pair weren't bent, and the tire wasn't bad (which I find hard to believe because, I ran my hand around the back of the tire, and felt a little unevenness.) So, I got this set, and they replaced one tire, and used the same 3 tires from the last set. Now, I'm unsure if the same tire is on the driver side, as it was before.

But like I said, these particular rims are brand new out of the box (which I know sometimes they can be defective when coming from the factory)

I will have them rotate the wheels today and see if we can go down the process of elimination.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:52 PM

While you have the wheels off you should check the tie rod ends. If they're original it's about time for them to go. Also check the control arm bushings.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:07 PM

If you're getting a loud clicking noise when you turn and/or accelerate then you need a cv shaft. The fact that you're ignoring this and trying to figure out what's wrong is puzzling. Getting a alignment with this issue already known wasn't the smartest move either. I'm a little perplexed as to why you wouldn't fix this issue first as its a known problem and then see if that's the reason behind your problem.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
If you're getting a loud clicking noise when you turn and/or accelerate then you need a cv shaft. The fact that you're ignoring this and trying to figure out what's wrong is puzzling. Getting a alignment with this issue already known wasn't the smartest move either. I'm a little perplexed as to why you wouldn't fix this issue first as its a known problem and then see if that's the reason behind your problem.
I'm not ignoring it actually. The CV axle just started clicking a day before I posted this. My vibration issue had been going on for a while now. But, it has been resolved.

Being that I have aftermarket wheels, I needed a hub centric ring, which the wheel dealer failed to install. So, no more vibration.

Thanks for your concern.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by alahjahwan09
I'm not ignoring it actually. The CV axle just started clicking a day before I posted this. My vibration issue had been going on for a while now. But, it has been resolved.

Being that I have aftermarket wheels, I needed a hub centric ring, which the wheel dealer failed to install. So, no more vibration.

Thanks for your concern.
Good deal, glad it worked out without needing any repairs. I didn't think about it but it makes perfect sense.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 PM

I'm not ignoring it actually. The CV axle just started clicking a day before I posted this. My vibration issue had been going on for a while now. But, it has been resolved. Being that I have aftermarket wheels, I needed a hub centric ring, which the wheel dealer failed to install. So, no more vibration. Thanks for your concern.
Also glad it worked out for you but get that cv shaft taken care of cause it can leave you stranded.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Also glad it worked out for you but get that cv shaft taken care of cause it can leave you stranded.
I had my mechanic look at it today, and he recommended a remanufactured unit... Just as a cost saving measure. What do you recommend? Is there a lot of riffraff about remanufactured axles?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Re manufactured axles are fine. I don't know anyone who uses new axles from the dealer. Nissan wants crazy money for them. I think they're around $500 each.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:24 PM

I had my mechanic look at it today, and he recommended a remanufactured unit... Just as a cost saving measure. What do you recommend? Is there a lot of riffraff about remanufactured axles?
There's a place in philly by me I'll get the name for u as soon as I can. Anyway they sell refurbished ones and they are one of the few places where you will get dampners on each axel just like oem. They do make a difference in ride comfort.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Re manufactured axles are fine. I don't know anyone who uses new axles from the dealer. Nissan wants crazy money for them. I think they're around $500 each.
Yea, that price sounds about right. That's why he suggested remanufactured lol
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 AM

For almost 3 years now I've had a front end vibration between 65 - 75 mph. I've had the tires re-balanced a few times, the tires rotated & had the front end checked several times by 2 different mechanics & was told nothing seems loose or broken. I've kind of just learned to deal with it. Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
For almost 3 years now I've had a front end vibration between 65 - 75 mph. I've had the tires re-balanced a few times, the tires rotated & had the front end checked several times by 2 different mechanics & was told nothing seems loose or broken. I've kind of just learned to deal with it. Any ideas?
Might seem kind of weird but, does your hood shake at those speeds? Mine used to and it'd shake the entire car.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:37 PM

No the hood doesn't really seem to shake at all. I really thought it was a unbalanced wheel when it first started happening because it was always in a certain range of speed.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:40 PM

Buy the part yourself and have it installed. Rockauto.com sells quality new axles (for example, http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...=666190&p=rock) for $50-$70. When I had my axles replaced, my mechanic charged my over $200 for one of the axles Rockauto sells for $50. Also worth knowing: A friend at local dealer told me that if I had the job done there, they would also use aftermarket axles (but would charge me plenty ..... ).

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 09-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Buy the part yourself and have it installed. Rockauto.com sells quality new axles (for example, http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...=666190&p=rock) for $50-$70. When I had my axles replaced, my mechanic charged my over $200 for one of the axles Rockauto sells for $50. Also worth knowing: A friend at local dealer told me that if I had the job done there, they would also use aftermarket axles (but would charge me plenty ..... ).
When my mechanic replaced my passenger axle and tie rod end, he only charged me $80. So seeing that yours charged you $200, makes me reconsider saying that my mechanic is high lol. But thanks, I'll likely go with rockauto.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
No the hood doesn't really seem to shake at all. I really thought it was a unbalanced wheel when it first started happening because it was always in a certain range of speed.
I'd say look at the items that derrick2k2se suggested above.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Vibration

I also have a vibration that maybe someone has input on.

Vibrates 20-30mph only. Not faster. Not slower. Light acceleration or heavy acceleration will cause it. If I do a very light accell it won't vibrate.

Take a passenger and no vibration whatsoever.

Tires pretty new.
New front end. Control arms, rods, links.
New brakes, rotors, etc.
New shocks, etc.
Alignment completed.

Tires balanced checked again. Discount tire says tires fine and wheels are fine. Alignment shop showed me a bounce in one tire and says it could be faulty. Tire rotation makes very little if any difference.

No axle noise that I can detect.

I'm not certain when it started but my guess is sometime after I got the tires but hard to say. Damaged wheel? Bad arm bushing?

I'm stumped. The only sure thing is that it doesn't vibrate with passenger(s).

Thanks.