5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0011 after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

P0011 after clutch install

After replacing the clutch, flywheel, clutch fork and throw out bearing the car is throwing p0011 And seems to be in limp mode.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Who manufactured the flywheel, factory or aftermarket?
Flywheel installed incorrectly:

http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech...-installation/

Last edited by Turbonut; 11-10-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

It's luk...so oem flywheel. I will show that to the mechanic that helped me. Any chance it could be the crankshaft position sensor?
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 AM

Also, I thought that if it was installed wrong the car wouldn't run at all.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 AM

I would think if it was the CPS/circuit it would throw a code e.g. P0335, or
if it's bad the car wouldn't run. Guess you could check the CPS resistance,
zero, short circuit, infinite, open and/or the output voltage when cranking, etc.

Hopefully some will chime in who's familiar with the M/T Maxima.

Last edited by Turbonut; 11-11-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I would think if it was the CPS/circuit it would throw a code e.g. P0335, or
if it's bad the car wouldn't run. Guess you could check the CPS resistance,
zero, short circuit, infinite, open and/or the output voltage when cranking, etc.

Hopefully some will chime in who's familiar with the M/T Maxima.
It throws p0011. Car shifts beautiful tho now. I did find a recall for camshaft sensors and the crankshaft position sensor and I had to replace both camshaft sensors recently so might be the recall but...not sure if a 6speed crankshaft sensor is different and I can't bring the car to Nissan
Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 AM

The code could be for either the crankshaft sensor or the bank 1 camshaft sensor. If the crankshaft sensor was damaged, I would think you would get the P0325 code and have problems starting the car.

But because you have had work done on the car, I would take the crankshaft sensor off and inspect the tip for damage. Then I would start focusing on the camshaft sensor, especially the wires that could have gotten damaged. Check the resistance of the sensor, it could have decided to fail. See page 172 in the EC section of the FSM.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2002/EC.pdf

The crankshaft and camshaft sensors are the same for manual trans and auto trans cars.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:23 AM

Check the connections for the crankshaft sensor. Maybe you bumped something or nicked it while doing the install.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM

Did you ever get this figured out OP? I know this thread is a little over a year old but I'm desperate. I'm literally in the EXACT same boat. I just put in a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and I'm getting P0011 and P0021 codes and the car will barely run. After seeing the link someone posted I'm wondering if the flywheel is on wrong.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Did you ever get this figured out OP? I know this thread is a little over a year old but I'm desperate. I'm literally in the EXACT same boat. I just put in a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and I'm getting P0011 and P0021 codes and the car will barely run. After seeing the link someone posted I'm wondering if the flywheel is on wrong.
Unplug crank sensor and see if it's normal (most likely you're right).
Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Unplug crank sensor and see if it's normal (most likely you're right).
I'll give that a shot first before I drop the transmission again. Good times lol. Hopefully I'll be able to knock the job out a lot quicker the second time around lol.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Yea. What happened was exactly what u said. My mechanic was my friend and a Honda tech. We did the job 3 times and only succeeded because I went to check my spare engine. The flywheel was still on it. I marked on the flywheel with marker where it lined up to the dowel pin. If the flywheel is in wrong the timing will be off.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:47 AM

Actually it's funny because I posted pics of my install on facebook last year and it came up on my year ago memories this morning
Old 12-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cwfalconfootbal
Yea. What happened was exactly what u said. My mechanic was my friend and a Honda tech. We did the job 3 times and only succeeded because I went to check my spare engine. The flywheel was still on it. I marked on the flywheel with marker where it lined up to the dowel pin. If the flywheel is in wrong the timing will be off.
Thank you very much for the reply! I'm going to take it all apart again this weekend and get the flywheel lined up properly.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 PM

Just wanted to share an update on my experience.

I took the transmission off again and uninstalled the clutch/pressure plate and the flywheel. Sure enough, the flywheel wasn't clocked correctly. There's actually a few quick and easy ways to 100% ensure that it's on correctly. For one, there is only a single hole in the flywheel that has a little square in it, this is the hole that goes on the dowel pin that sticks out of the crank. Second, there is also a gap in the timing ring which is what the crankshaft position sensor is looking for, you can also line that up to make sure it's correct (it's right above the aforementioned hole with the square). There is also an arrow on the outward facing part of the flywheel that will point to the hole with the square in it.

I can't believe I missed all of that the first time, what's even more weird is that in 2011 I swapped the engine on it and transferred the flywheel over to the new engine and I can't seem to remember lining anything up...maybe I just got super lucky lol.

But now engine is running great...unfortunately it is very hard to get into gear. I've already swapped the slave cylinder, I guess next I'm going to swap the master cylinder and put on a one piece braided clutch line as that factory setup is an absolute mess.