5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to know what mods i have?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Bad *** Newb

I'm thinking that infanticide has been on our minds for OP...
Old 04-28-2016, 03:11 PM

the thread has gone from what i have to what i can do which is great because i need ideas and a direction to where to take this car! this thread has helped me alot!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM

So these are a couple video i got of that maxima, anyone know the rattle when the engine first starts. seems to be louder the colder it is

Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

All sounds normal for a Maxima. My chain chatters like that the colder it is and even more-so when I need to change my oil and of course when the oil is a bit low.

So, check the age of the oil or remember it, and the level.

AS long as it goes away within a few seconds, you're fine. 2nd noise is just the way it sounds, injectors doing their job on the rear near the manifold when the camera was there.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 AM

I changed my oil at about 109k its 111k and i had to add a quart the other day since it was acting up... I used 5w 30 mobil 1 synthetic oil
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by sebastian2041
I changed my oil at about 109k its 111k and i had to add a quart the other day since it was acting up... I used 5w 30 mobil 1 synthetic oil
That oil isn't very good at all (it's not actually syn and still sucky for hydrocracked group III). It's barely a 30 weight and shears to a 20 in no time. It also doesn't yield nice UOA even at like only 5-6k OCI. You'd get better results from castrol syn blend LOL.
You're FAR better off with mobil 0w40, castrol 0w30(the german stuff)/40...pretty much anything euro spec. The ones I mentioned ARE group IV. Even the plain 'ol castrol 0w30 has a good amount of group IV in it.

Given the amount you're burning (will probably lessen a little with better oil), you can do very long OCI with a good oil/filter b/c of all the fresh oil you're adding. I mean, that's like easy 12k OCI lol.

Define "acting" up. One quart low won't cause any symptoms...

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-29-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
That oil isn't very good at all (it's not actually syn and still sucky for hydrocracked group III). It's barely a 30 weight and shears to a 20 in no time. ..............

My car drank that like lil wayne dranks da purple drank. Eff that stuff.

I use Amsoil now, but that's just me. I'm down to say losing about a half quart every 3k which is OK considering this car is now 13.5 years old and has 172k on the clock.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM

That oil isn't very good at all (it's not actually syn and still sucky for hydrocracked group III). It's barely a 30 weight and shears to a 20 in no time. It also doesn't yield nice UOA even at like only 5-6k OCI. You'd get better results from castrol syn blend LOL.
You're FAR better off with mobil 0w40, castrol 0w30(the german stuff)/40...pretty much anything euro spec. The ones I mentioned ARE group IV. Even the plain 'ol castrol 0w30 has a good amount of group IV in it.

Given the amount you're burning (will probably lessen a little with better oil), you can do very long OCI with a good oil/filter b/c of all the fresh oil you're adding. I mean, that's like easy 12k OCI lol.

Will change it up to your suggested oil the filter i run with it is the k&n filter and acting up as in no power rpms would stall at 2.5k sometimes and the p0011 and p0021 codes appeared and then disappeard after clearing them! I would hot the gas and the car wouldnt do anything and sometimes the rpm would slowly drop. I then read some stuff on here about oil being a problem so i added some and am going to be cleaning the vvt

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
My car drank that like lil wayne dranks da purple drank. Eff that stuff.

I use Amsoil now, but that's just me. I'm down to say losing about a half quart every 3k which is OK considering this car is now 13.5 years old and has 172k on the clock.
Interesting i did the mistake of taking the recommendations of the autopart guy intead of looking here... So you guys run synthetci or not?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Will change it up to your suggested oil the filter i run with it is the k&n filter and acting up as in no power rpms would stall at 2.5k sometimes and the p0011 and p0021 codes appeared and then disappeard after clearing them! I would hot the gas and the car wouldnt do anything and sometimes the rpm would slowly drop. I then read some stuff on here about oil being a problem so i added some and am going to be cleaning the vvt
Yeah, sounds like you need to clean the ivt solenoids.

Mobil/K&N HP filters are good, but way overpriced. Purolator Pure One is great and much cheaper (although, I assume you did the oil change deal).
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Yeah, sounds like you need to clean the ivt solenoids.

Mobil/K&N HP filters are good, but way overpriced. Purolator Pure One is great and much cheaper (although, I assume you did the oil change deal).
I do have the filter they gave me with the deal but i like the k&n filter because it just nice to put on and take off i want to do an oil change now but ill wait till i finish this stupid oil

Yesterday i got a new my stabslizer link put in and changed thermostat. Tookit out for a drive and was annoyed at the car! Which prompts, Do we a rev limiter?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-03-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Yes most cars do.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Yes most cars do.
Wow cant wait to take it off
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Bad *** Newb

Wow cant wait to take it off
Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Should have said raise it instead
Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Should have said raise it instead
Unfortunately it's not that easy. You'll have to spend some money to do that.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 PM

Unfortunately it's not that easy. You'll have to spend some money to do that.
I know i been reading up on afc and wb since i want new headers since some people have made me aware of the pre cat problems
Old 05-01-2016, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE="sebastian2041;9108198"] I know i been reading up on afc and wb since i want new headers since some people have made me aware of the pre cat problems[/

You'll need more than that to raise the rev limiter. You're about to walk into a black hole of money. So just be sure this is really the car you want to do this to. Think long and hard about it what you want out of this car.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:08 PM

You'll need more than that to raise the rev limiter. You're about to walk into a black hole of money. So just be sure this is really the car you want to do this to. Think long and hard about it what you want out of this car.[/QUOTE]
Well i do love this car and the other car i would dump money into would be a gts-4 as of mow headers and intake pipe are first then injectors, WB and afc with a good tune i was hoping to make a decent HP. What would i need to raise the rev limiter? That its that costly?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:35 PM

You'll need more than that to raise the rev limiter. You're about to walk into a black hole of money. So just be sure this is really the car you want to do this to. Think long and hard about it what you want out of this car.
Well i do love this car and the other car i would dump money into would be a gts-4 as of mow headers and intake pipe are first then injectors, WB and afc with a good tune i was hoping to make a decent HP. What would i need to raise the rev limiter? That its that costly?[/QUOTE]

I forget but I think you're a 5.5gen right? So you'll at least need utec. Then in order to make it work you'll need the pnp harness unless your extremely talented at wiring. On top of that you'll want the tsx tuner wideband. You may be able to find those three things all used at say a total of 500 to 800 if you look and catch a break. The actual harness is where it costs money. A guy name Darren makes a beautiful one new and it cost close to 400 new I believe just the pnp harness. You want the tsx tuner with the utec so everything logs together. Ok you've been throughly spoon fed enough information consider yourself lucky and go do some leg work yourself.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Well i do love this car and the other car i would dump money into would be a gts-4 as of mow headers and intake pipe are first then injectors, WB and afc with a good tune i was hoping to make a decent HP. What would i need to raise the rev limiter? That its that costly?
I forget but I think you're a 5.5gen right? So you'll at least need utec. Then in order to make it work you'll need the pnp harness unless your extremely talented at wiring. On top of that you'll want the tsx tuner wideband. You may be able to find those three things all used at say a total of 500 to 800 if you look and catch a break. The actual harness is where it costs money. A guy name Darren makes a beautiful one new and it cost close to 400 new I believe just the pnp harness. You want the tsx tuner with the utec so everything logs together. Ok you've been throughly spoon fed enough information consider yourself lucky and go do some leg work yourself.[/QUOTE]
Wow you are the best! My friend/meha ic is good a wiring ill see what he thinks but i kind of dont mind dumping 800 bucks on that and another 800 for the other stuff. Again thank you very much!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 PM

Before you go getting your friend involved I suggest you do some research. It's not as easy as clipping a couple of wires and splicing a couple in. Like I said before educate yourself before you go jumping in to this. Don't be lazy do the research.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Before you go getting your friend involved I suggest you do some research. It's not as easy as clipping a couple of wires and splicing a couple in. Like I said before educate yourself before you go jumping in to this. Don't be lazy do the research.
Haha i do research i just have many people that can help my boss who is an electrical engineer will be helping with the harness ... Right mow im focused on headers and intake

Finding this Utec will be a pain in the *** have to keep updated witht he classified here and 350z forums! I then thought of a haltech but its basically the same thing wait for one to pop up!!!!!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-03-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

I wouldn’t go that far. UTEC is outdated, Haltech is not. I had one for a long time, the software is buggy and has virtually no support as of late. But if anything, SurraTT can sell you an already ready to use PnP harness for pretty much anything (EMU/UTEC, etc). I’m not even sure where UTEC talk came into play here since it’s really is old and non-supported. I sold mine years ago and even back then it was showing it’s age.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:07 PM

I wouldn’t go that far. UTEC is outdated, Haltech is not. I had one for a long time, the software is buggy and has virtually no support as of late. But if anything, SurraTT can sell you an already ready to use PnP harness for pretty much anything (EMU/UTEC, etc). I’m not even sure where UTEC talk came into play here since it’s really is old and non-supported. I sold mine years ago and even back then it was showing it’s age.
I brought up utec because of the cost. Most people don't want to spend 1500 on haltech. Not when a utec can do what you need. I think haltech is a little much for bolt-ons don't you?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 PM

I brought up utec because of the cost. Most people don't want to spend 1500 on haltech. Not when a utec can do what you need. I think haltech is a little much for bolt-ons don't you?
well i looked at ultec mostly but most links on forums are really outdated with dead links, read about haltech so then i looked at it for two seconds and since i didnt find any so i didnt bother. also checked e-manage blue but forums didnt talk much about them so i didnt know if they were good

So what do you think i should get? wiring and all that is not problem for me since i got people who can do it for me for very cheap and very well.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

That's why I stick with my SAFC/WB/Injectors/4"Intake. It be really nice if our ECU wasn't a bastard child and we could go OSIRUS, but nope, not gonna happen.

Even though I don;t have direct control over my timing, I have enough control to do what I want with timing and AFR. UTEC can't do anything with CVTC, and also keep in mind I've got a TS-F-Spec which gives AFR/throttle control/extended rev limit/timing and CVTC improvements in addition to what I have with the AFC/Injectors.

So yeah I'd say AFC/Injectors/4"/WB are good enough for most bolt ons. I want to remember not too long ago someone completely removed the rev limiter (not something I'd recommend) using the android app or what not.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 AM

I understand what your preference is. He said he wanted to raise his rev limiter. That's the premise I was giving advise under. To my knowledge an afc cannot achieve this. This is why I recommended utec. He's a 5.5 gen so that's basically his best cost effective way to be able to do so. Everyone knows the shortcomings of the utec and nobody is denying it. He wanted tuning with the ability to raise rev limit on a 5.5 gen.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

He needs to first justifiably merit the addition of additional revs, i.e., reputable breathing mods.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 PM

He needs to first justifiably merit the addition of additional revs, i.e., reputable breathing mods.
the car has spacers, looking to buy 4"(message the guy but haven't got an answer back),BOP has been ordered, headers will come after the 4", bigger injectors will come thinking of going straight to gtr ones ( i know you have suggested to play with the other ones first but im just all out ) Right now i have the stillen high flow intake right now im trying to figure out if that works with the 4' since someone told me it didnt that i would need a bigger filter. What other breather mods are they other than a better new Intake manifold?
Old 05-04-2016, 01:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

the car has spacers, looking to buy 4"(message the guy but haven't got an answer back),BOP has been ordered, headers will come after the 4", bigger injectors will come thinking of going straight to gtr ones ( i know you have suggested to play with the other ones first but im just all out ) Right now i have the stillen high flow intake right now im trying to figure out if that works with the 4' since someone told me it didnt that i would need a bigger filter. What other breather mods are they other than a better new Intake manifold?
Nope, never suggested to play with the other ones, I told you my mistake was playing with those, you should just go for the GTR's first and foremost.

Also, get a REAL SSIM not just a BOP.

In this case, it looks as if you've got a ways to go before you decide on real tuning options.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Nope, never suggested to play with the other ones, I told you my mistake was playing with those, you should just go for the GTR's first and foremost.

In this case, it looks as if you've got a ways to go before you decide on real tuning options.
What do you mean ways to go? as in time? or mods? I read on the ssim but saw that it had not done much. I read one of you comments which sid that it will only work once you had the proper breathing mods but thats just vague and most places the explain the ssim have dead links to them and it pisses me off.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Bad *** Newb

I have a gutted IM...it sucked. I got beat by a maxima with less boltons and BOP. Even with the F spec reflash, it sucked.
I could beat a stock 350Z, but not by much. That leads me to believe I was only making about 255 whp with a ****ty curve.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-04-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:41 PM

I have a gutted IM...it sucked. I got beat by a maxima with less boltons and BOP. Even with the F spec reflash, it sucked.
I could beat a stock 350Z, but not by much. That leads me to believe I was only making about 255 whp with a ****ty curve.
see my confusion is that people said i will need to raise rev limiter and other things to get the most out of the ssim but that means ill have to get it tuned after to ge the most out. Im looking at tunning options because i like to get a head start on everything. Planning is very essential imo. Will love to see dyno sheets so far the only dyno sheets i have seen with the ssim dont show much difference
Old 05-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

see my confusion is that people said i will need to raise rev limiter and other things to get the most out of the ssim but that means ill have to get it tuned after to ge the most out. Im looking at tunning options because i like to get a head start on everything. Planning is very essential imo. Will love to see dyno sheets so far the only dyno sheets i have seen with the ssim dont show much difference
There's honda civic power under 4k rpm, it's a worthless mod if you ask me.

I don't recall if anyone has a dyno of the 350Z IM (non-revup), but it has to better than stock and SSIM. I'd do that with spacer (if it fits) over SSIM and then you don't need to extend rev limit b/c power should go to **** after 6k lol

If someone really wants it, I'll sell the SSIM, though haha. I don't think I'll ever be boosting an old VQ.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-04-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 PM

There's honda civic power under 4k rpm, it's a worthless mod if you ask me.

I don't recall if anyone has a dyno of the 350Z IM (non-revup), but it has to better than stock and SSIM. I'd do that with spacer over SSIM and then you don't need to extend rev limit b/c power should go to **** after 6k lol

If someone really wants it, I'll sell the SSIM, though haha. I don't think I'll ever be boosting an old VQ.
see i agree i will hate having to lose power in the low end because i do city drivng. while nmexmax does highway driving so maybe thats why he would choose it... still want to know wether my high flow stillen intake will need an to be taken out for something bettter if i get a 4"
Old 05-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Bad *** Newb

see i agree i will hate having to lose power in the low end because i do city drivng. while nmexmax does highway driving so maybe thats why he would choose it... still want to know wether my high flow stillen intake will need an to be taken out for something bettter if i get a 4"
You would need a 6" filter and velocity stack to go on 4" piping.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:09 PM

You would need a 6" filter and velocity stack to go on 4" piping.
Great i know where to get them! Thansk for the help and thank you nmexmax for showing me where to find them!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:25 PM

I agree but he asked about raising the limit, so I answered. He's been advised many times to do some research.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 PM

No you asked about raising the rev limit. This guys all over the place.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM

No you asked about raising the rev limit. This guys all over the place.
im not over the place just looking at options do want to get it raised but if i get it raised i also wants mods so i needed to know what mods how to raise it... Im all over the place because i want my car to be great all around i want to do as much as possible exept for turbo but like i had said everything has its time i like to plan ahead for financial reasons so i ask about everything to ensure i have all the info i can! I do research outside of this one thread but its hard to trust old threads with dead links and old data... That being said i think he said the afc f spec can play with the rev limiter whick I do plan on getting once breathing mods are in!

Quick Reply: How to know what mods i have?!