7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Totaled Then Born Again W/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 Totaled Then Born Again W/Pics

Hey Gang...

Long time lurker and now new member here. I've been a Maxima fan since the mid 80's. Bought a 1986 brand new because of the digital dash and the fact it would say; "Fuel level is low", and, "Door is ajar". In 2003 wanted another so we bought a new GLE loaded that we still drive occasionally with 170,000+ on her.

Anyway, I've rebuilt at last count 37 cars for myself or ones that are contracted to me from customers since the 80's. My main focus has always been off road and vintage toys, but sometimes people/myself talk me into other projects at the shop.

I bought this sweet little 2010 S from the local Allstate with 39K on her for another project in my spare time. Basically she was collateral damage in an accident where another vehicle ran tires across her entire front from right to left.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First thing that grabs folks is always trauma. Looks like no hope...right?

Lets go from this:

To This:

Nothing close to the worst we've seen and fixed. She's got a scratch...nothing more.

Our goal is to have her fixed under 1/3 of the retail book value and driven for another 200K.

I'm more concerned about what color the rear spoiler is going to be than if we fix the damage.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:32 AM

Good work, look forward to the progress
Old 07-16-2015, 04:08 AM

I'm interested to see where this is going!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 PM

so there was no frame damage?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:52 PM
I love lamp.

Nice work!

S
Old 07-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KGMtech
so there was no frame damage?
No frame damage per say. The LH radiator support frame needed to be pulled and straightened, but the fenders, bumper, hood, and LH bumper stay crumpled and took most of the blow. I did have to replace the upper radiator support arms (they bolt and tack weld into place). The air bags didn't even deploy on this one.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 AM

no airbag deployment?
did dvd bypass your car?

someone on the forums got rear ended -- didn't look that bad and it was frame damage I was super surprised.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mikekay
no airbag deployment?
did dvd bypass your car?

someone on the forums got rear ended -- didn't look that bad and it was frame damage I was super surprised.
No airbags fired, it missed the sensor just enough.

Not sure about the dvd bypass question?

I can understand why a rear collision would do it because they're not as beefy in the rear. I saw the car you're talking about I believe. In the old days it was nothing for a car to be made from 3 different vehicles front clip, cabin, and rear clip. If it's done correctly and on a frame table they can be stronger than from the factory at the seams.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 AM

I hear ya, if done correctly is the keyword

DVD bypass is does adding an address in the navigation screen work when the vehicle is in motion and handbrake not down, but -- if the sensor isn't crushed then what I wanted to test is moot
Old 07-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting to fit the body panels. The fenders are aftermarket CAPA certified that fit nicely with the lines spot on. Nose piece is just sitting there but looks like a good fit also. Still waiting on headlights and hood...grrrr.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The driver side door was folded back on the front edge about 1.25" from the fender being shoved behind it on impact. Potential wreckers/rebuilders made it worse by yanking it open over and over without care. Thankfully no crease developed from the abuse.

Paintless dent removal experts just earned a whole new level of respect from me. Although I don't have all the tools or training in that area, I can say that them charging $90-$125 per hour is definitely worth it.

We came within 1.5-2mm of getting the drivers door back into factory shape using pressure, wood, and cotton with the help of my beautiful assistant. Beyond pleased with the results to say the least.

My goal is to have her shot and riding by the 10th of next month. Hope I'm not boring you guys with all this stuff. I just wanted to document this build somewhere other than my camera and phone. I want to keep this one, but already have a serious offer and 2 others looking.

If you tear the front off your gen7 feel free to ask me any question you might have!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have the front assembled, hood should be here tomorrow and then off to paint at the end of the month. I'm liking the depo black headlights, should pop against the metal fish/ocean gray color.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:46 AM

Awesome man! Great progress
Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A little ahead of schedule. Looks like we start prep work and paint this weekend. Honestly cant say enough about carpartswholesale on ebay. Great prices, shipped via rocket, and everything I've bought is CAPA certified.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In the booth Monday:

Just trying to decide on the grill setup and we're done:

Fun little project for 1/3 the retail book value:

Old 07-29-2015, 10:38 AM

nice job.
whats up with the hood to front bumper gap?
Is that a standard practice to paint bumper on the car? I recently worked on a car with front end collision work done. Lets just say the shop did less than stellar job on replacing front bumper, with gaps all over. I could also see a ragged paint line on the bumper where it meets front quarter panel.
Don't you need to have special flexi additives on the plastic parts? In your post it looks like the entire front end is getting the same paint job.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxud
nice job.
whats up with the hood to front bumper gap?
Is that a standard practice to paint bumper on the car? I recently worked on a car with front end collision work done. Lets just say the shop did less than stellar job on replacing front bumper, with gaps all over. I could also see a ragged paint line on the bumper where it meets front quarter panel.
Don't you need to have special flexi additives on the plastic parts? In your post it looks like the entire front end is getting the same paint job.
There is a tad of a gap from the Chinese bumper cover and the factory gasket needing to be replaced. The bumper cover is only secured by 1 screw on each side because I wanted it painted. I'll tweak the final fit after she cures a few days and before the final sand/buff.

We used Bulldog on it to take care of flex, adhesion, and slow the dry time even more. It was 85+ in the booth, and even with exhaust and air on it was drying in seconds with slow activator. For just under $6000 total, I'll drive the wheels off and still get my money back in a few years.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up Nice work!!!

been following since you posted....nice work my man. Where are you exactly so I can send some piece work lol? Nice Work again...
Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice work!

Do you mind telling what seller you used for the DEPO headlights in the black housing? They look sick in that color. I'd take mine apart and paint em, but I'm not that handy and would rather have an extra set. Also, do you know if they would work with the factory HID's instead of halogen?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Burgtoad67
Nice work!

Do you mind telling what seller you used for the DEPO headlights in the black housing? They look sick in that color. I'd take mine apart and paint em, but I'm not that handy and would rather have an extra set. Also, do you know if they would work with the factory HID's instead of halogen?

Thanks!

Thanks for the props! I got the lights from ebay seller: k2motor . These are for the halogen lights only. I honestly don't know if Depo makes these for HID but they might. I searched for you but didn't find any immediate results.

Take Care!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lexcitement
been following since you posted....nice work my man. Where are you exactly so I can send some piece work lol? Nice Work again...

Thanks man! I'm actually in Central Ky. I took on this project to see how badly I could beat the insurance estimate of $10,201. I haven't added it down to the dime yet, but it looks like somewhere around $2667 for parts and material.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

channel surfing

Bought an aftermarket grill from fleabay that was chrome. Didn't like the look so I shot it with Satin Black and placed a shiny new OEM Nissan badge in place. I think with the black depo lights and other vents being black it looks much more aggressive. Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by CrashedMax
Bought an aftermarket grill from fleabay that was chrome. Didn't like the look so I shot it with Satin Black and placed a shiny new OEM Nissan badge in place. I think with the black depo lights and other vents being black it looks much more aggressive. Thoughts?

Very cool, looks awesome
Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM

I really enjoyed following the progress. Great job of bringing this beauty back to life and also a great job of recognizing the potential of this project. You are now rewarded with a great ride at a terrific price.