7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin plate missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Vin plate missing

Hello, I'm a lurker turned poster to the forum.

I have a 2011 Maxima SV, black on black, bought it brand new from the local Nissan dealer. I have been in love with it since the day I bought it, from the looks to the way it drives and the spectacular speakers. Its just wonderful.

A few days ago I got a blinking airbag warning light and tried to reset the ecu by pressing the door jamb button, didn't work so I called up the dealer and had them setup a time to check it out. Lately it has been kind of stalling in RPM's when trying to merge onto the interstate and sometimes I hear a whirring noise from below the stereo so I figured they should check that out as well.

Dropped it off this afternoon and just got a call back from the dealer, they say my VIN plate is missing from the transmission and that the tranny looks like its already been replaced by someone. I'm the only driver and took it exclusively to them for all maintenance work, so I don't know how they figure the transmission has been replaced.

Is there anyway to prove its the original transmission that came with the car if the plate is missing? Maybe some kind of stamp on the body of the transmission itself?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM

Tell them if it was replaced by anyone then it was replaced by Nissan. They should have records. Ask them why they sold you a new car where the transmission was changed out.

I hate the way the dealers always try and make it the customers fault/problem. I would try and make it their problem.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

How many miles?.... They probably are incorrect. I actually never heard of such a plate.... should be stamped or multiple plates. Consider going to another dealer.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interested in hearing about the outcome. Trying another dealer may not be a bad thing.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:32 AM

Vin plate missing

I had a similar thing happen to me with a dealer in Canada.
Bought the car from the showroom floor and after a few months i noticed that one of my high beams was not working. Not a big deal since at that time I was living in Toronto and roads there are a mess after winter. I bought the car in April so it was when the roads were at their worst.
So I tried to jam my hand in the passenger light housing to change the bulb but could not fit my hand in there.
I was due for an oil change so I took it to the dealer and told them about it thinking that it was just a faulty bulb. After an hour of waiting they told me that the bulb is ok but there is something wrong with my electrical system and they need to keep it until Monday and then call me with the results.
Monday I got a call and they told me that I was missing control module and the module housing.
I got there and ripped them a new one. The parts manager asked me if anybody else worked on the car. I told them that the only people that have touched the engine bay were his techs when they changed the oil the first two times. The car was 3 months old. He said that those two pieces are missing and somebody took them and he emphasized that he personally did the safety to the car before delivery. They changed the module for free telling me that they had one broken laying around there and they will be reimbursed by Nissan for it but they will have to take the 50 CAD loss because they cannot charge that because they do not have a broken part to return to Nissan. All in all I did not pay a $ but I was left with a very bitter taste in my mouth about how they deliver a new car off the showroom floor.
When I test drove the car the menu was in french so for sure it was sent down from a Quebec dealer who had it in stock and they needed those parts for another car.
They will never acknowledge that because they would have lost their licence, very disappointed. I noticed after the module was put in place my pedal light was lighting. So I was even more pissed with their shadiness.
Change the dealer and try to reason with them because this is a very bad thing for a car of this caliber.