7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small CLUNK coming from rear??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Small CLUNK coming from rear??????

Our 2014 Maxima is perfect, except for a small clunk that can be heard coming from the back. It does it every time the car is initially started, and the clunk occurs between 30 and 40 mph.

It happens one time only, never happens again until the car is parked and turned off. Then, when started back up and put into drive, we wait for 30-40 mph and hear it again.

It's done it since we have owned the car - bought it in August. My wife drives it most of the time and we had it three months before she told me about it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've crawled under the car about 10 times looking for something shiny from being hit or bumped, pulled the wheels, and grabbed and pryed on everything under the car. Then I moved to the trunk looking for something to stand out at me....nothing!!! I even removed the back seat hoping to see something or change the volume of the clunk...no good.

Please help if you can...thanks
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 AM

It's the ABS self test. It happens once each time you drive the car, at about 16 mph.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:12 PM

The ABS pump is on the firewall area, passenger side, you might hear it louder if you open the glove box while driving 1st thing in the day, for me it cycles at 50km/h = 32mph
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Unfortunately, this is a Maxima mystery. I have 147,000 miles on my car and I have heard that clunking since I've owned the car (27k). The car has run fine and has had no issues. There has never been a culprit for this issue. It's just a "Maxima" thing?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Sensitive for no reason you guys are being
Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 PM

ABS self check

This "clunk" noise you are hearing is the ABS self check and it will happen only once at the same speed each time the vehicle is started from a cold start. Although it does not sound normal it is very normal for this model, mine has done it since it was new. If you drive the same way each time you leave your house you will notice it at the same location each day. Look at your speedometer when it happens and you will notice it happens at the same speed each time.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
Sensitive for no reason you guys are being
Not sure who is being sensitive...it was just a question that has already been asked many times. You are trying too hard.