Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Any way to upgrade the rack/pinion 6th gen....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any way to upgrade the rack/pinion 6th gen....

Hello, new to the site, but not new to modding cars. I've been doing twin turbo setups, centrifugal, na builds for over 35 years now.

But, I'm new to these cars [Ford guy]. I just bought an Altima SE-R that I'm restoring with a little more HP under the hood, and there isn't much on hotrodding Altima's so I joined this site.

Anyway, the car has 190k, and while the engine, and tranny was out I got to thinking it would be WAAAY easier to replace the steering rack now rather than when I reinstall the engine.

So with that in mind I was wondering if there was anything better that would swap into the Altima that was better than the factory setup. I thought about the Maxima since they are a little heavier [not much], and found out they already have the same rack. [same as 6th gen Maxima]

I know as a Fox Mustang owner that the trick rack to swap is one from a 93 Cobra Mustang, but I'm lost on Nissan swaps.

Is there an upgrade I can do now, or just replace the rack with one from the local parts store?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:20 AM

I don't know of any steering rack replacement, but if you're looking to improve the steering response and dial out a little transient understeer you might try replacing the rack bushings with something firmer or modifying the OE bushings to reduce the amount of lateral movement of the rack that takes place as you steer.

Norm