Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Rear Suspension TOO SOFT!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rear Suspension TOO SOFT!!

Ok, I tried searching on this forum but I came up with no results.

Does anyone else have problem with there rear suspension bottoming out with 4 adults in the car??

Its my mom's 2000 I30 (non-touring) and it has less than 60K on it. I was told that the touring edition really only changed the wheels, added a rear spoiler and has a little "t" on the trunk lid and that the suspension is not different at all.

I havent even had a chance to look at what the suspension looks like under this car, I have to assume its a strut of some sort. Does anyone know of a stiffer strut or spring that will not change ride height but stop this car from bottoming out on even moderately bumpy roads?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 PM

1) the touring has a different suspention that is why it is called the touring.
2)if you want to not lower the car which i recomend u do, get the suspention of the touring. or just get some stiff springs and struts and you should be ok. i have a 2k as well, i cant wait to change my suspention because i corner at high speeds and the stock suspention is crap.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mikeI302k
1) the touring has a different suspention that is why it is called the touring.
2)if you want to not lower the car which i recomend u do, get the suspention of the touring. or just get some stiff springs and struts and you should be ok. i have a 2k as well, i cant wait to change my suspention because i corner at high speeds and the stock suspention is crap.
hummmm, ok thanks.

again, I was only told the suspension wasnt different. As long as it doesnt lower the car at all, ill try and find some touring parts, at least for the rear.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

You can get some aftermarket struts, like KYB GR-2's for real cheap. If you only need the rears it won't cost you much more than $100. Don't try and get the suspension form a touring model. YOu would have to either get it used which is not a good idea or new from a dealer which will cost and arm and a leg.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
You can get some aftermarket struts, like KYB GR-2's for real cheap. If you only need the rears it won't cost you much more than $100. Don't try and get the suspension form a touring model. YOu would have to either get it used which is not a good idea or new from a dealer which will cost and arm and a leg.
yeah, i was planning on going dealer if I couldnt find anything else.

I did find the part number for the GR2's #341271

I figured I might try that first and see how that goes. If that doesnt work, I would take the springs out and measure them myself and find one with a higher rating.

Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by NJTy180
Ok, I tried searching on this forum but I came up with no results.

Does anyone else have problem with there rear suspension bottoming out with 4 adults in the car??

Its my mom's 2000 I30 (non-touring) and it has less than 60K on it. I was told that the touring edition really only changed the wheels, added a rear spoiler and has a little "t" on the trunk lid and that the suspension is not different at all.

I havent even had a chance to look at what the suspension looks like under this car, I have to assume its a strut of some sort. Does anyone know of a stiffer strut or spring that will not change ride height but stop this car from bottoming out on even moderately bumpy roads?

thanks in advance.

Infiniti has a TSB out for the rear suspension bottoming out - you can find it here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infin...x.asp?mscssid=

You might want to take the TSB # and go to the dealer and see what they can do.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Infiniti has a TSB out for the rear suspension bottoming out - you can find it here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infin...x.asp?mscssid=

You might want to take the TSB # and go to the dealer and see what they can do.
wow! thats awesome

would the TSB# be ITB02032?

found here http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infin...7.asp?mscssid=

just wanted to double check to make sure it wasnt some other number I missed.

thanks tons
Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 AM

thanks for the heads up meta, going to try kings infiniti near me see wat they say
Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by NJTy180
wow! thats awesome

would the TSB# be ITB02032?

found here http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infin...7.asp?mscssid=

just wanted to double check to make sure it wasnt some other number I missed.

thanks tons

Yeah, that looks like the right one to me. I wonder why it happens to some and not others. I've had a full car load many times and never been in danger of bottoming out. Even when I was dropped on Teins I didn't have any issues. You and Mike report back here if the dealer does anything...I'm interested in it myself.