Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Going TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM

Going TURBO

Hello friends.

After a long time with my Maxima 01 SE I'm thinking about going to the forced induction way. A friend of mine just swapped the turbo in his Evolution X and he gives me his former turbo pretty damn cheap ($100) and almost brand new. It's the turbo that I want to install in my car, but keep it in a range of 6 - 10 PSI. I want to know if this can be a good project or just get another turbo. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I understand the turbo is an OEM turbo from an EVO X, but you're gonna have to give us more details than that...
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I understand the turbo is an OEM turbo from an EVO X, but you're gonna have to give us more details than that...
I was in a rush and can't provide more details at the moment when I created the post.

The main goals for this project are
- Put an OEM EVO X Turbo in my Nissan Maxima 01
- Keep the PSI into the safe zone (6-10 PSI)
- Try to mess the little least possible with the ECU. SAFC for the air/fuel mixture (Recomendation from a friend of mine that make turbo adaptions).
- Intercooler setup with
- Try to keep the stock internals in the engine.
- If needed, get bigger injectors.
- Install Transgo Shift Kit in the transmission (Automatic without LSD)
- Car for daily drive and occasional drag race.
- Custom made turbo headers.
- Battery relocation to the trunk.
- Keep the HPs into the safe limit of the transmission.

What any other details you need Wizard?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM

What is needed are the details of the turbo. What is it t28 t3 t4? What size are the wheels? What trim? There's a lot more to it then just I got X turbo and want to put it on Z.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
What is needed are the details of the turbo. What is it t28 t3 t4? What size are the wheels? What trim? There's a lot more to it then just I got X turbo and want to put it on Z.
The Turbo specs are these ones

Model: TD05HA-152G6-12T
Compressor: 12 blade (6 full/6 splitter), 68mm diameter, 48 Trim
Turbine: 12 blade, 56mm,76Trim
Turbine Housing A/R: 10.5cm^2
Wastegate Actuator Open Pressure: 11psi
Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 AM

The turbo is a little small but it will work. You'll have boost early in the rpm but will choke out up top. Not a bad thing or a good thing it just depends on what you're looking for.

As far as ecu goes. You're going to need something else beside afc. You can do it but you're going to want to know the timing. You'll need to pull time to safely turbo your car. Not only that but you want to be able to know your timing too. I don't think an afc has that ability.

Last but not least. You'll need bigger injectors without question. Don't even bother boosting the car if you don't want or plan to put bigger injectors in the car. 550ish is where I would go. No need to upgrade to still be close to max duty cycle. 550s put you at a nice cushion.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:18 PM

Damn, soo the turbo will be a little small.

I want to get boost in the mid-high RPM range. Because in the early range that turbo will work more as a supercharger.

What kind or size of Turbo you reccomend?

Talking about the ECU, I´m reading the threads where they talk about it. But I´m a little confused. Some people talk about getting a Emanage for the ECU and use the SAFC too, but what it will be the best way to make it work?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flanker84
Damn, soo the turbo will be a little small. I want to get boost in the mid-high RPM range. Because in the early range that turbo will work more as a supercharger. What kind or size of Turbo you reccomend? Talking about the ECU, I´m reading the threads where they talk about it. But I´m a little confused. Some people talk about getting a Emanage for the ECU and use the SAFC too, but what it will be the best way to make it work?
You have an 01 so the most cost effective way for you to tune and be able to pull time is emanage. Safc I'm almost positive cannot pull time. So emanage is probably the way.

As far as turbo selection how much money you got or want to spend?? You can go holset and find them fairly cheap. You can go with borgwarner and spend some more. Or you can go Garrett ball bearing and spend crazy money.
You seem to want power up top and I've heard from a couple people the 366 borgwarner (I think that's the number) is a nice turbo and on the inexpensive side at 700. Just as a comparison the Garrett gtx3076r is all said and done in the $2000 price range. So that gives you an idea of how much money you can spend.

Just remember there's no cheap short cut to turboing your car. It's gonna cost you money no matter what you do. So be ready to spend it.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 PM

I would start with that tranny first......that will go first IMO.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 AM

Thanks a lot Mattx, I'll do my homework and search for another turbo option.

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
I would start with that tranny first......that will go first IMO.
Ooooh believe me friend, that is a MUST DO. I already got the TransGo kit for the transmission (RE4F04B-HD2). I'm just waiting to get my rims fixed to send my girl to the workshop and then get that upgrade installed.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Got Retrofit?

Continue to read and learn. There's a lot of info in this section.

I don't think you're ready for boost yet..
Old 03-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

Well, I'm trying to read all the info in this section of the Forum about Turbo. The bad news is that some links are not working anymore
Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 PM

Well, I'm trying to read all the info in this section of the Forum about Turbo. The bad news is that some links are not working anymore
Do you plan on doing this project yourself or are you going to drop the car and your check book off at a shop and having them do it? There's nothing wrong with either I'm just curious Which way you planed on doing it.

There's a ton of knowledge and experience on this site so dig around and use it. Asking questions and reading as much as possible is a great start. This project will cost you money but there are ways to soften the blow to your wallet. Just be patient when buying parts. Use eBay there's nothing wrong with it you just have to learn how to spot fake items from real items.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 PM

Might wanna look into A tranny cooler too and make sure to baby it till you get the parts for A swap or rebuild the auto tranny....trust me it will die lol trans go and no go lol

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 03-15-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM
I like Maximas

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

^^^^ Sadly I agree.

There's a certain amount of knowledge one must possess before starting an ordeal like building a turbo setup for a car that never came turbo from the factory.

first you have to look at many other successful MAXIMA turbo builds, AND understand Why and How the components they chose worked for their purpose/goals.

Please understand why I said "Maxima turbo build" vs. say an EVO or a 4-cyl turbo build vs. inline 6 turbo setup

Once you fully understand what work/ordeal/fabrication/$$$ is actually involved (as opposed to getting a 100% BOLT-ON Supercharger kit) in a TURBO build, I believe you might have second thoughts about the build itself/what it actually takes to complete is successfully - as there are more half-assed unfinished/untuned turbo builds than the 15+ or so people who actually built fast powerful and balanced boosted maximas.

OR... Possibly your best option

Pay a REPUTABLE SHOP $$$$$$ and reap all the benefits of them fabricating the turbo setup, doing the install, the dyno tuning, and leaving you with a proper turbo max to enjoy... as opposed to paying that $$$$$ to an non-reputable shop to butcher your car and end up with failed ebay cheapsh1t that doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

The pitfalls of putting twice the power through a stock 4spd AUTO transmission and how they like to eat clutchpacks/gears/synchros deserves its own thread..

Please don't view my post as rude, hostile, or negative, as i'm just trying to show you what's involved and what could potentially happen if you don't heed the advice of others, especially the pitfalls, that they already went through in their experiences.

Please familiarize yourself with Turbo, Supercharger and Nitrous installs on Your generation Maximas to find the best and most reliable power adder for your indended application.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Do you plan on doing this project yourself or are you going to drop the car and your check book off at a shop and having them do it? There's nothing wrong with either I'm just curious Which way you planed on doing it.

There's a ton of knowledge and experience on this site so dig around and use it. Asking questions and reading as much as possible is a great start. This project will cost you money but there are ways to soften the blow to your wallet. Just be patient when buying parts. Use eBay there's nothing wrong with it you just have to learn how to spot fake items from real items.
It will be dropped into a shop that owns a friend of mine. BUT I'll get involved in the project as much as I can. Not just trow my baby into any shop and watch it every week. No sir, I like to get involved when somebody else is working in my cars.

I'm searching all the information that I can gather. And it's A LOT!

The main course of action in getting the parts first and start to work in the car later. Thank God the owner of the shop got some expertize in making turbo cars from NA ones, he does the turbo manifolds and all the piping that is required. He knows what is needed, but it will be his first time working in a VQ30DEK engine.

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Might wanna look into A tranny cooler too and make sure to baby it till you get the parts for A swap or rebuild the auto tranny....trust me it will die lol trans go and no go lol
Getting a tranny swap is a pain the *** where I live. The best option is getting the tranny rebuilded and with the Transgo kit installed.

Thanks for the advice Vipervadim, and no problem at all friend. I like to see that more people gives me advices about this project and not leaving me alone in this.

The research of all the succesful Turbo builds is a must do, specially when about the parts that are needed in the build of the car.

About the power, well I'm not looking to get a HUGE amount of power in that noble engine, specially because the tranny can't hold a lot of power itself. I'll try to get the enough power for keeping my car for daily drive BUT with that extra power when is needed (race, highway, etc).
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

It will be dropped into a shop that owns a friend of mine. BUT I'll get involved in the project as much as I can. Not just trow my baby into any shop and watch it every week. No sir, I like to get involved when somebody else is working in my cars. I'm searching all the information that I can gather. And it's A LOT! The main course of action in getting the parts first and start to work in the car later. Thank God the owner of the shop got some expertize in making turbo cars from NA ones, he does the turbo manifolds and all the piping that is required. He knows what is needed, but it will be his first time working in a VQ30DEK engine. Getting a tranny swap is a pain the *** where I live. The best option is getting the tranny rebuilded and with the Transgo kit installed. Thanks for the advice Vipervadim, and no problem at all friend. I like to see that more people gives me advices about this project and not leaving me alone in this. The research of all the succesful Turbo builds is a must do, specially when about the parts that are needed in the build of the car. About the power, well I'm not looking to get a HUGE amount of power in that noble engine, specially because the tranny can't hold a lot of power itself. I'll try to get the enough power for keeping my car for daily drive BUT with that extra power when is needed (race, highway, etc).
Junkyards are where you will find low mileage trannys cheap. Swapping them isn't too hard. Plus once you have the transgo installed in a valve body you can always remove it and install it in the next one.

You have the right attitude just do the research and take the time. If a Turbo'd maxima is what you want then go for it.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM

Junkyards are where you will find low mileage trannys cheap. Swapping them isn't too hard. Plus once you have the transgo installed in a valve body you can always remove it and install it in the next one.

You have the right attitude just do the research and take the time. If a Turbo'd maxima is what you want then go for it.
Sorry for not answering sooner. I was out of the city.

Well, about the transmission it's very damn hard to find. Specially when only Automatic Maximas where exported to Mexico.

I'm already reading A LOT of information about making my car Turbo and taking care about some details like the transmission (next week it will go to the workshop for a rebuild and installation of shift kit). And getting all the needed pieces for it. It will be a slow project, that's for sure.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Project Update:

- Transmission rebuilded and the shift kit installed.
- SAFC, radiator for liquid intercooler,Turbo, turbo flange, Ford Lighting Injectors, flex pipe, downpipe, BOV and larger transmission cooler purchased.

I'll go with the TD05H-152G6-12T (EVO X Turbo) and the goal is 300 whp.

Next items that I need to purchase:
- SCG-1: Solenoid Boost Controller & Wideband O² Gauge
- Air filter
- Gauge pod
- FPR
- Tune up kit (sparkplugs, oil, oil filter)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 AM

That turbo is just too small, seriously not worth it, some of the VQ35 swaps running around here would put you in your place, especially on top end. Go with a bigger turbo. You really need to do some more reading. I would not consider putting an Evo turbo on a VQ, maybe 2 of them not running a single. Go with an air to air intercooler. A decent working liquid setup is going to cost you 3-4 times as more as just buying Air to air. Spend that money on something better SAFC, seriously do not tune on an SAFC you'll wash your rings out. Supercharges are ok with SAFC not turbos. at the very LEAST go with an emanage Blue/Gold. An Emanage ultimate, AEM FIC etc would be best for your goals.

As far as turbos, a Borg Warner S360 or Holset HX35/40 those are great starter turbos and expandable. Buy AUTHENTIC turbos not the no name ebay crap.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:49 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

A huge faction of the turbo turbo LSx guys just run $300 On 3 Performance turbos. I'm sure these are just Chinese made turbos and the Domestic guys seem to love them and have zero issues with them.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those, especially if I were on a budget. "Real" turbos have gotten insanely expensive in the past 7-8 years and the Chinese ones have come a long way. Even the CXRacing ones are fairly high quality these days.

I agree with Crusher that I wouldn't even bother with using the Evo turbo. I would genuinely recommend the OP to go with a ~$300 On 3 unit on Ebay and call it a day.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:51 AM

A stock EVO turbo? Do not do this.

Do not contemplating turbocharging your car just because you found a turbo for "cheap". Even if you buy a quality turbo that will be the cheapest part of your turbo setup.

Re-evaluate your decision.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 AM

^^. I agree with this^^^. Turbo is too small. I agree with the afc also. It just doesn't have enough functionality for a turbo setup. You'll need to pull time. If I'm not mistaken an afc doesn't have that ability. You can get used emanage systems pretty cheap now.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Ok then I'll go slowly with all the answers.

The main limit for making more power in my car is the transmission. It's an automatic and I can't get a manual transmission thanks to the ******** in my country that handle the Customs. That's why I went with a small turbo, I wanted to get a bigger one but it will burst my A/T in the first run.

It's funny how in previous posts some people told me something different about the Turbo: "The turbo is a little small but it will work. You'll have boost early in the rpm but will choke out up top. Not a bad thing or a good thing it just depends on what you're looking for. "

About the Intercooler, well with summer temperatures going to almost 50°C, the water cooled intercooler was the best option.

About the SAFC, it's the Apexi SAFC II. It can be sold and get the e-manage.

The turbo can be sold too and get another one, did you guys think that Borg Warner K27 will make the trick?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
A huge faction of the turbo turbo LSx guys just run $300 On 3 Performance turbos. I'm sure these are just Chinese made turbos and the Domestic guys seem to love them and have zero issues with them.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those, especially if I were on a budget. "Real" turbos have gotten insanely expensive in the past 7-8 years and the Chinese ones have come a long way. Even the CXRacing ones are fairly high quality these days.

I agree with Crusher that I wouldn't even bother with using the Evo turbo. I would genuinely recommend the OP to go with a ~$300 On 3 unit on Ebay and call it a day.
Yea but those are hit and miss and most people that do run them know what they are doing to make them somewhat decent turbos. For a first timer and the way this guy sounds dont bother with an ebay-er just get a authentic turbo call and it a day. Especially with Borg Warners running for around $600-700.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM

Ok then I'll go slowly with all the answers. The main limit for making more power in my car is the transmission. It's an automatic and I can't get a manual transmission thanks to the ******** in my country that handle the Customs. That's why I went with a small turbo, I wanted to get a bigger one but it will burst my A/T in the first run. It's funny how in previous posts some people told me something different about the Turbo: "The turbo is a little small but it will work. You'll have boost early in the rpm but will choke out up top. Not a bad thing or a good thing it just depends on what you're looking for. " About the Intercooler, well with summer temperatures going to almost 50°C, the water cooled intercooler was the best option. About the SAFC, it's the Apexi SAFC II. It can be sold and get the e-manage. The turbo can be sold too and get another one, did you guys think that Borg Warner K27 will make the trick?
I did tell you it would work yes. But I also said its small and your boost will come on very early in the rpm. I agree with crusher though overall it's small turbo for your car. I stand by what I said. It will work but overall it's too small. Which is pretty much what I said the first time. You'll have boost extremely early in rpm range and nothing up top which really would probably put more stress on tranny.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Ok then I'll go slowly with all the answers.

The main limit for making more power in my car is the transmission. It's an automatic and I can't get a manual transmission thanks to the ******** in my country that handle the Customs. That's why I went with a small turbo, I wanted to get a bigger one but it will burst my A/T in the first run.

It's funny how in previous posts some people told me something different about the Turbo: "The turbo is a little small but it will work. You'll have boost early in the rpm but will choke out up top. Not a bad thing or a good thing it just depends on what you're looking for. "

About the Intercooler, well with summer temperatures going to almost 50°C, the water cooled intercooler was the best option.

About the SAFC, it's the Apexi SAFC II. It can be sold and get the e-manage.

The turbo can be sold too and get another one, did you guys think that Borg Warner K27 will make the trick?
I have a car that will see southern heat and humidity, im not worried about it being too hot for an Air to Air. Because one of the things you are forgetting is you are cooling the water with the same 50C hot air, and the thermal properties of water it will hold heat, it will be fine for short burst such as drag racing when you can add ice to your reservoir and etc. But for prolong periods of times such as highway&daily driving it will most likely be less efficient than a good air to air setup. Plus its heavier and will consume a lot more space. And for a beginning setup its just not necessary, upgrade to it later if you deem it completely necessary. Frozenboost has a couple of decent setups to choose from when you get to that point.

An AFC is an AFC, its just not good for turbos. Doesn't matter which version of the AFC you have. A couple of members on here make PnP harness for the Emanage Blue/gold and Ultimate, it will cost you around 250-300 for the harness and +200 for the actually emanage if you go with an ultimate. You can find emanage blue's floating around for $50.

The turbos you are picking out are too small. A K27 is better but go a bit bigger to suit the VQ a little better. Turbos can be limited through the wastegate, because the K27 will spool fast but run out of steam in the upper RPM range, you'll have a fantastic mid range though. Again some of the VQ35 running swaps around here would be able to beat you. Here is something you should look into start from here. It is expandable as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-A...5RLPED&vxp=mtr

That turbo should be capable of around 600hp. Which should easily put you at beginning 300whp goal. It will be very nice up top and have a decent mid range which is what most people are looking for. Once you can change the shift points of the transmission you can make more use out of the turbo. Not everybody on here knows exactly what they are talking about so you have to just pick and choose what is good advice and what is bad.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 AM

I did tell you it would work yes. But I also said its small and your boost will come on very early in the rpm. I agree with crusher though overall it's small turbo for your car. I stand by what I said. It will work but overall it's too small. Which is pretty much what I said the first time. You'll have boost extremely early in rpm range and nothing up top which really would probably put more stress on tranny.
Ok, Then k27 Borg Warner will be enough for my car?

http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-k27-3072/
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM

Ok, Then k27 Borg Warner will be enough for my car? http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-k27-3072/
The s360 seems to be a popular Borg Warner turbo for our cars. I'm not very well versed on Borg Warner so I couldn't tell you without knowing the info on the turbo.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Yea but those are hit and miss and most people that do run them know what they are doing to make them somewhat decent turbos. For a first timer and the way this guy sounds dont bother with an ebay-er just get a authentic turbo call and it a day. Especially with Borg Warners running for around $600-700.
I somewhat disagree - the On 3 Performance and CXRacing performance ones I would not consider hit and miss. I meant that these days, those brands are pretty much standard fare, reliable, and generally accepted even amongst really big HP guys (i.e., V8 turbos). It's the other totally generic Chinese $150 eBay ones that I would consider to be hit and miss.

I have a buddy building a ~800whp turbo LSx swapped S10. What's he running? $300 On 3 turbo without hesitation.

Of course, $600-700 for a Borg Warner is still a good deal amongst $1,500+ units that are out there. But $600 is double the price of a $300 one with a solid track record, and when we're talking about an extreme budget build an extra $300 is a lot of money.

Nonetheless, point taken

Out of curiosity, what can/should be done to make an eBay turbo somewhat decent?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:17 PM

I somewhat disagree - the On 3 Performance and CXRacing performance ones I would not consider hit and miss. I meant that these days, those brands are pretty much standard fare, reliable, and generally accepted even amongst really big HP guys (i.e., V8 turbos). It's the other totally generic Chinese $150 eBay ones that I would consider to be hit and miss. I have a buddy building a ~800whp turbo LSx swapped S10. What's he running? $300 On 3 turbo without hesitation. Of course, $600-700 for a Borg Warner is still a good deal amongst $1,500+ units that are out there. But $600 is double the price of a $300 one with a solid track record, and when we're talking about an extreme budget build an extra $300 is a lot of money. Nonetheless, point taken Out of curiosity, what can/should be done to make an eBay turbo somewhat decent?
I've heard the biggest problem is balancing. The cheap ones are not individually balanced. That and some of the grades of metals used are questionable.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM

I somewhat disagree - the On 3 Performance and CXRacing performance ones I would not consider hit and miss. I meant that these days, those brands are pretty much standard fare, reliable, and generally accepted even amongst really big HP guys (i.e., V8 turbos). It's the other totally generic Chinese $150 eBay ones that I would consider to be hit and miss.

I have a buddy building a ~800whp turbo LSx swapped S10. What's he running? $300 On 3 turbo without hesitation.

Of course, $600-700 for a Borg Warner is still a good deal amongst $1,500+ units that are out there. But $600 is double the price of a $300 one with a solid track record, and when we're talking about an extreme budget build an extra $300 is a lot of money.

Nonetheless, point taken

Out of curiosity, what can/should be done to make an eBay turbo somewhat decent?
From what i *hear* It is rebuilding them with authentic Garrett parts and having them properly balanced then they end up working well. I have tried the cheap turbo route and it ended in failure i ended up spending as much on a cheap turbo as i would on a quality turbo.

I just cannot advise for those turbos for a first time build just because they have a shaky track record. And he is going to have a lot of problem solving and tracking down issue at least let the turbo not be one of them. I will take your word over most because you have been doing this for a much longer time than myself and your actually knowledgeable.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:45 PM

From what i *hear* It is rebuilding them with authentic Garrett parts and having them properly balanced then they end up working well. I have tried the cheap turbo route and it ended in failure i ended up spending as much on a cheap turbo as i would on a quality turbo.

I just cannot advise for those turbos for a first time build just because they have a shaky track record. And he is going to have a lot of problem solving and tracking down issue at least let the turbo not be one of them. I will take your word over most because you have been doing this for a much longer time than myself and your actually knowledgeable.
I should also point out to take all of what I said with a grain of salt since I have a genuine Garrett unit myself. With the prices like they are these days though, if I were starting out all over again right now and buying parts - I definitely wouldn't spend the big money at today's prices for a Garrett.

And, if and when I decide to go with a bigger unit for more power I will absolutely be heavily leaning towards On 3 or the like
Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 AM

I should also point out to take all of what I said with a grain of salt since I have a genuine Garrett unit myself. With the prices like they are these days though, if I were starting out all over again right now and buying parts - I definitely wouldn't spend the big money at today's prices for a Garrett.

And, if and when I decide to go with a bigger unit for more power I will absolutely be heavily leaning towards On 3 or the like
Turbonetics myself. And probably not worth it to go big power on these platforms, get another car for it.

But here is my thing if you cannot afford a $700 turbo i do not think you should be boosting your car. Because it most cases the project itself is going to nickle dime you up to around 3-4k, unless you have a welder and all the equipment to build everything yourself.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 PM

Turbonetics myself. And probably not worth it to go big power on these platforms, get another car for it.

But here is my thing if you cannot afford a $700 turbo i do not think you should be boosting your car. Because it most cases the project itself is going to nickle dime you up to around 3-4k, unless you have a welder and all the equipment to build everything yourself.
So many nickles and dimes.