1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Fadanza Flywheel & the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Go Get a Life!

Fadanza Flywheel & the 1/4

I'm asking this question because there's speculation that the Fadanza flywheel hurts your time in the 1/4. Is this true? and if so Why?

Seculations:

It chaters at certain RPM's

Upgraded Clutch kits warp the flywheel very quick

High Idle

Unable to luanch vehicle at high Rpm's

Isn't reliable for every day use. (longevity)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Makes lauching more difficult. But if you can get the car off the line, the times should go down.

Exactly who do you know has had trouble? Iansw is the only one that I know of that burnt one up. But he was just sitting there at the line burning out the clutch not knowing what was going on.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Go Get a Life!

A couple of guys down here have the fadanza and complained of them warping real quick. Also Tillley has tried this twice and burnt both of them. He told me it wasn't worth the time and money, it's not reliable and doesn't improve time much. The main thing he says is that the 3.5 has so much TQ that the Fadanza just wont stand up to the abuse of track day use.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Could be true. You guys might want to look into their steel versions. It's Fidanza BTW.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Go Get a Life!

I had some noise comming from the tranny had to open it back up ( TO bearing soooo maybe I might get this but I have other plans to add more power. I'm not sure if this would hinder my car and make matters worse.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:30 PM
SLOW

Doesn't hurt your time it hurts your ability to launch. The line between bog and spin becomes thinner, and you have to be that much better and consistent a driver to walk that line between bog and spin. It doesn't do much for your 1/4 mile time though, there are more effective ways to spend your $500, not to mention install of a flywheel is not exactly fun...
Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Go Get a Life!

Ok cool I just wanted to make sure and if you say so I know your very reputable on here ORG so I'll take your word for it along with what others have said about it.
Thanx. now back to work on my 12 sec 4thgen.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Makes lauching more difficult. But if you can get the car off the line, the times should go down.

Exactly who do you know has had trouble? Iansw is the only one that I know of that burnt one up. But he was just sitting there at the line burning out the clutch not knowing what was going on.
I thought Ian blew his tranny, Not just the clutch?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Not really worth it if your just drag, have had mine for a few years now. Probably would not do it again if I had the choice. What Neal said is just about my feelings as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Blown

I like it, I have it in both of my fourth gens, but it is harder to launch the car, but for every day driving I enjoy the quicker revs. Both my cars bog easier, and the also shutter if I try to punch it at too low of an rpm.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Looks at this **** hiding, pssh.. besta come out on the 16th
Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Looks at this **** hiding, pssh.. besta come out on the 16th
I already got that day off planned.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 PM
vsamoylov

so what is the opinion with it for every day driving?

Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah, pass on it for drag racing imo.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
so what is the opinion with it for every day driving?
Everyday driving is fine. My brother has the "stillen" lightened flywheel in his 2001 and i drive it all the time. The car is much easier to bog when taking off, but after that, it's a cinch. The only other thing is it's harder to make upshifts smooth since the revs drop down so quickly.

And as for the 1/4 mile, if you can get the lauch down, the 1/4 mile times should go down. It's simple physics. But don't expect the gains to be the same in each gear.

1st- Tremendous difference
2nd- Very noticable difference
3rd- Good difference
4th- Not so much
5th- Little to no difference
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM

hmm...this thread kinda turns me off the whole thing...too bad, as I was really excited about having a VQ which revs freely...so for everyday driving it makes everything more jerky? and what about just casual driving off a red light...do you have to rev a lot higher or slip the clutch out slower?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
hmm...this thread kinda turns me off the whole thing...too bad, as I was really excited about having a VQ which revs freely...so for everyday driving it makes everything more jerky? and what about just casual driving off a red light...do you have to rev a lot higher or slip the clutch out slower?
You don't really have to rev higher. You just have to make sure you give it a lil more gas as you're slipping the clutch.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM

I would think that the little weight the fidanza sheds compared to various other aftermarket flywheels, driveability would not be affected nearly as much as you guys are making it sound but I guess it does...

so is the burning up issue a problem if your running a ton of power?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
Everyday driving is fine. My brother has the "stillen" lightened flywheel in his 2001 and i drive it all the time. The car is much easier to bog when taking off, but after that, it's a cinch. The only other thing is it's harder to make upshifts smooth since the revs drop down so quickly.

And as for the 1/4 mile, if you can get the lauch down, the 1/4 mile times should go down. It's simple physics. But don't expect the gains to be the same in each gear.

1st- Tremendous difference
2nd- Very noticable difference
3rd- Good difference
4th- Not so much
5th- Little to no difference
since you've driven a max with a lightweight fly, how nice is it when you free rev it? what's the rpms comparable to? would be nice to rev like a street bike.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have a Fidanza + ACT stage 1. I drive in Seattle, (3rd worst traffic in the country) and drop off my baby daughter to grandma everyday. It's harder but only slightly.

IMHO, if you cannot put up with the ever so slight increased difficulty in clutch engagement to reap the benefits of the revs etc.. you can't call yourself an enthusist at all.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
since you've driven a max with a lightweight fly, how nice is it when you free rev it? what's the rpms comparable to? would be nice to rev like a street bike.
not exactly like a street bike But it is noticible. My supercharged car hits the rev limiter very quickly, and my N/A one also revs more quickly than the stock flywheel. The car is a little more of a pain to drive but its really not a big deal, if you shift pretty quick you really will not notice very much, but if you are slow in your shifts the revs drop so much quicker you will defintly be in for a bit of a rougher ride.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 PM
SLOW

I think there is alot of placebo effect going on for alot of the guys who say their car revs so much faster with the lightened flywheel. Revs and speed are in a constant ratio while in gear. If you car revs 'so much faster' then that means your car is 'so much faster' but I don't hear anyone talking about how much faster their car is with the lightened flywheel, they just talk about how much it revs.

I've driven cars with identical mods back to back to back with and without fidanza flywheel and the difference is almost unnoticeable. Slightly quicker in 1st gear and not so much in 2nd, other than that there's no discernable difference.

Lightened flywheel is best used for those who rev match on downshifts, which is to say, like 0.001% of maxima drivers. If you are thinking of getting one to help your 1/4 mile performance or anything other than autoX/road course rev matching, I say think again and spend your $500 elsewhere.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Consider this. Car makers and engine builders go to great and sometimes expensive lengths to lighten the rotating masses of the engine and it's parts. But I very much doubt they could take off nearly 10lbs of weight. Especially where the weight is reduced. Why go to these great lengths if there's not benefit?

With that said, I've noticed a differerence with my fidanza. It's pretty apparent in the 1st 2 gears.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I think there is alot of placebo effect going on for alot of the guys who say their car revs so much faster with the lightened flywheel. Revs and speed are in a constant ratio while in gear. If you car revs 'so much faster' then that means your car is 'so much faster' but I don't hear anyone talking about how much faster their car is with the lightened flywheel, they just talk about how much it revs.

I've driven cars with identical mods back to back to back with and without fidanza flywheel and the difference is almost unnoticeable. Slightly quicker in 1st gear and not so much in 2nd, other than that there's no discernable difference.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 PM

I have had the fidanza flywheel on my car for about 2 thousand miles now and i love it, there really isnt that much of a difference in everyday driving yes a little but its worth it i think, the revs are nuts from first to second and if you ever plan on force induction is when you would most benifit out of all the weight that is not there cuz it will just swing that thing around like nothing then.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Ford Only.

I just ordered one from Cattman. I am hoping I like it. I probably will not be able to tell though, cause I am putting in a new engine with the flywheel, so that alone is going to be a BIG difference. I dont care if it doesnt help the performance THAT much, cause it really isnt supposed to make you any faster. I just hope I dont have to deal with it warping, like I read above. That would suck, cause trans problems are not fun.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
... Lightened flywheel is best used for those who rev match on downshifts, which is to say, like 0.001% of maxima drivers. If you are thinking of getting one to help your 1/4 mile performance or anything other than autoX/road course rev matching, I say think again and spend your $500 elsewhere.
I haven't really done any autoX with my Max but I still like to rev match on about 80-90% of my downshifts, even in normal driving and with the stock flywheel. It makes for a smoother drive and it's easier on the syncros. I thought a fair amount of people did that too...?